Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: How many words a person can translate in a day?
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Mark Xiang
Mark Xiang
Local time: 03:56
English to Chinese
+ ...
In that case, your friend is a millionaire now!^_^ Feb 23, 2005

Let's suppose the rate is USD0.08/word. If one translates 3000 words per hour and works 8 hours per day, 1 week (7 days) every month, he/she will earn USD3000 X 0.08 X 8 X 7=USD13,440.00 every month.

If he/she works two weeks and the rate is USD0.05/word, his/her monthly income is USD16,800.00.

If he/she works 15 days every month and the rate is USD0.10/word, his/her monthly income is USD36,000.00.

Easy to become a millionaire? ^_^

Mark

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:56
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
typing speed as one inherent variable of translation speed Mar 1, 2005

ace-translation wrote:
If we take into account secretarial standards of about 45 words per minute, a well trained secretary should be able to type 2700 words/hour. This, of course, is only possible if she/he maintains the same output for 60 minutes (without blowing her/his nose, drinking, sneezing, yawning...)
It is also worth mentioning that we are only talking about typing here and not translating...

GoodWords wrote:
I hope my post on typing speeds isn't misinterpreted as saying that typing and translating are almost alike. My point is that if a good typist can only type, say 2000 words per hour (allowing time for blowing the nose, drinking, etc.), (and who could keep that up without a break for hour after hour?), then any claim for translation speed has to take this figure as a baseline. It would be unreal to imagine that someone could translate faster than a mere typist could type.

See the following post which provides the reference to my article (available online at no cost) containing a survey of translation speed that I conducted in early 2004. I also explained in that article how typing speed is one (very important but not only) variable in determining translation speed:

http://www.proz.com/post/207158#207158

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/

[Edited at 2005-03-01 15:49]

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
impossible to type 3000-4000 words in 30 min Mar 1, 2005

langclinic wrote:
I had the chance of having a chat with one of my friends day before yesterday. During the course of chat, he informed me that he can translate and type 3000-4000 words in just 30 minutes. When I expressed my disbelief, he extended the time and said that he can do so in a maximum time of 60 minutes.

This is impossible. This represents burst typing at a rate of 100-133 words per minute if done during a time slot of 30 minutes.

The word record typing speed is around 150 wpm. I know a person who could do 127 wpm.

I took 2 years of traditional typing courses when I was in junior high school and made it to 72 wpm with 3 mistakes. I don't recall having known any of my peers during that time period who went higher than 75.

Typing is reproducing character by character what is written on a piece of paper in front of you. It is only reflex-based. If the world record is 150, then it is impossible for someone to perform cognitive translation processes plus physical reflex via the fingers at near world-record typing speed.

I've had heard of people in my survey work who dictated into a conventional dictation system at a rate of 15,000 words and up to 22,000 words per day, with typists behind them doing the typing. But then they were completely out of commission without a voice for several days afterward.

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/

Bill Lao
Bill Lao
Local time: 03:56
English to Chinese
+ ...
normaly 2000-3000 words per day Mar 26, 2005

normaly 2000-3000 words per day

Mario Marcolin
Mario Marcolin  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
4000 /day Mar 30, 2005

On a well-known subject: 7-8000 day which then needs editing, giving an average of 4000/day

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many words a person can translate in a day?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »