Off topic: Guess what the French is....
Thread poster: Connor
Connor
Connor  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:20
French to English
Mar 14, 2007

The following text was actually written on the jars of the product sent all over the world. Just thought I would share it with you before it gets sorted...(the mussels were pretty much the same but translated as 'mould'!!! bon appetit....

Squids stuffed in the hand, farce pure pig, tomatoes, garlic, fresh egg, bread, salt, pepper, parsley, herbs of Provence and aromatics.
Preparation is ready to use. Heat the contents of the jar, present on a flat accompanied with potat
... See more
The following text was actually written on the jars of the product sent all over the world. Just thought I would share it with you before it gets sorted...(the mussels were pretty much the same but translated as 'mould'!!! bon appetit....

Squids stuffed in the hand, farce pure pig, tomatoes, garlic, fresh egg, bread, salt, pepper, parsley, herbs of Provence and aromatics.
Preparation is ready to use. Heat the contents of the jar, present on a flat accompanied with potatoes vapors, pastas or rice and of our excellent Rust Sétoise.
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 11:20
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Whose hand? Mar 14, 2007

Connor wrote:

Squids stuffed in the hand

Hope they practice proper hygiene procedures...

Dontcha just love machine translation....

Nancy

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
That reminds me... Mar 14, 2007

During my last trip back home in canada, I bought dividers with 3 holes in Letter format, something which is virtually unavailable in Europe.

English:
8 assorted poly dividers

French:
8 intercalaires Polonais variés

How can someone (or something!) translate "poly" as "Polonais" (Polish) is beyond me...

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Bien... Mar 15, 2007

.....je jamais.....)

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 10:20
English to Russian
+ ...
Borrowed from the Russian thread The Jems of Translation Mar 15, 2007

How can someone (or something!)

Exactly - something, i.e. a machine:-)

Hotel amenities in Turkey:
English: The biggest aqua park in Europe
Russian: The largest water is parking in Europe

Also:
air conditions and minirod (A/C and minibar)

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:20
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
In case of fire ... Mar 15, 2007

IreneN wrote:

How can someone (or something!)

Exactly - something, i.e. a machine:-)

Hotel amenities in Turkey:
English: The biggest aqua park in Europe
Russian: The largest water is parking in Europe

Also:
air conditions and minirod (A/C and minibar)

On the subject of hotels, we were intrigued by the fire escape instructions translated from French to English on the door of our hotel room in Millau recently (like other Prozians, I can't resist reading such gripping topics), which included:

1. Stay cool. (We liked this, it sounded so British - stiff upper lip, chaps).
2. Stop when walking.

The latter seemed to bear no relation to anything in the French original and we still don't know what it meant.

Regards,
Jenny.

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
Walk don't run Mar 15, 2007

Jenny,

I'm guessing the original said something like this. That's what I would expect after "remain calm".Terry

Kathryn Strachecky
Kathryn Strachecky  Identity Verified
French to English
That reminds me.... Mar 15, 2007

of a bottle of fruit drink that I found in England. The French translation was just wonderful and I really regret not keeping it. It claimed, among other things, to be made from "juice of concentrated" and strongly advised not to "keep the bottle in heat".

The mind boggles...

slabejka
slabejka
Slovak to English
Those darn kids... Mar 15, 2007

I love the translations found on many products, my 2 recent faves are these: on a bag of biscuits intended to be toddler food - Little Children Sponge Drops
And on a recently purchased spaetzle-making gadget the recipe called on the cook to "cut the bacon into little bones"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Guess what the French is....

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »