Off topic: The top 10 interpreters in the world
Autor vlákna: lingomania
lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 13:30
italština -> angličtina
May 1, 2007

I know that interpreting and/or translating is neither a game nor a sport, but I have always been curious to know who the top (10) in-house and/or freelance interpreters in the world are......be they consecutive or simultaneous.... I don't want this to seem a 'Guiness thing' of course. Thank you in advance.

Rob

[Edited at 2007-05-01 22:28]

[Edited at 2007-05-01 22:28]

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Nizozemsko
Local time: 05:30
angličtina -> nizozemština
+ ...
Impossible May 3, 2007

How on earth are you going to establish who is the best interpreter in the world?
How are you going to establish the best bakery in the world? The best bicycle repair man?
There are so many in this line of work, in so many parts of the world, doing so vastly different kind of jobs...

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:30
angličtina -> francouzština
+ ...
Off-topic... May 3, 2007

Best bakery is the one down my parents's street...

On-topic again: yes, I also find it very difficult to find who are the best interpreters in the world. I guess you'll find some of them at the UN and in Brussels, but some others may be, to some extent, unknown to the interpreters'community. So I agree with Jan Willem.

lingomania
lingomania
italština -> angličtina
AUTOR TÉMATU
Artisan professions May 6, 2007

Jan Willem van Dormolen wrote:

How on earth are you going to establish who is the best interpreter in the world?
How are you going to establish the best bakery in the world? The best bicycle repair man?
There are so many in this line of work, in so many parts of the world, doing so vastly different kind of jobs...

Hello. I know that myself, but the 2 noble professions you indicated above to make a comparison are artisan professions NOT technical professions like interpreting/translating so frankly I see no space for comparison.....not with those kinds of professions anyway.
Thank you.

Robert

lingomania
lingomania
italština -> angličtina
AUTOR TÉMATU
On the right track May 6, 2007

Anne Patteet wrote:

Best bakery is the one down my parents's street...

On-topic again: yes, I also find it very difficult to find who are the best interpreters in the world. I guess you'll find some of them at the UN and in Brussels, but some others may be, to some extent, unknown to the interpreters'community. So I agree with Jan Willem.

Hello. Referring to the UN and Brussels is a good starting point. Thank you.

Robert.

Leena vom Hofe
Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Německo
Local time: 05:30
angličtina -> němčina
+ ...
may the force... Jun 13, 2007

I'd opt for the one who translated "May the force be with you" into German: "Am vierten Mai werden wir bei euch sein" (meaning: May the fourth we'll be with you"

(From an interview with George Lucas, where the question was about the most important sentence in his new "Episode X?" of StarWars. Heard in the radio one morning. That day started with a big laugh!)

lingomania
lingomania
italština -> angličtina
AUTOR TÉMATU
Rating Jun 14, 2007

Well, I wonder how he would be rated...?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The top 10 interpreters in the world

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »