Off topic: Sony cracks me up: Use your **** as a case
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Buzzy
Buzzy
Local time: 09:25
French to English
The Germans must have a talent for naming toilet paper Nov 8, 2007

Jack Doughty wrote:

There used to be a German brand of toilet paper called "BUM". Some friends visiting us in Germany bought several packs to give as presents to their friends.

On holiday in Northern Germany this summer we bought a packet of toilet paper and only when we got it back to the house did I see its name: "Happy End"... too late unfortunately to go back and buy more for friends!
I remember seeing some crisps (potato chips) called Bum somewhere (Italy? Spain?), supposedly to treflect the "boom" sound they made they were so crunchy.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 02:25
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Happy End Nov 8, 2007

Buzzy wrote:

On holiday in Northern Germany this summer we bought a packet of toilet paper and only when we got it back to the house did I see its name: "Happy End"... too late unfortunately to go back and buy more for friends!

The name is brilliant!!!

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:25
German to English
+ ...
On that same note... Nov 8, 2007

Comparative LITerature

From the above capitalized letters you can see what the abbreviation of this class was in the course catalog at the University of Oregon in the mid-1990s!!! No joke!

PS I used to buy Happy End toilet paper in Germany, too. I liked the "Spurty" dog treats as well.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 10:25
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
As ads go... Nov 9, 2007

No translation involved, but just heard on our local Latvian TV the advertising worth Guiness prize for worse possible ad for cofee: "Instant coffee xxx (local product)- no doping control problems whatever". Left me speechless...

(But at least this ad is true- and therefore I don't use this product).

Uldis

[Rediģēts plkst. 2007-11-09 22:12]

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:25
English to Hungarian
+ ...
From the UK.... Nov 10, 2007

There is a well-known supermarket delivery service, attached to one of the UK's respected food store chains, called Ocado.

Their vans run around all over the place, with the word Ocado on their sides, and lately they advertise with a cheery jingle on the radio. The text of the jingle repeatedly refers to the "Ocado man" bringing your food - in a melodic, emphatic way.

Well, in Hungarian Ocado is an adjective for "throwing up", like “the throwing up man on the corne
... See more
There is a well-known supermarket delivery service, attached to one of the UK's respected food store chains, called Ocado.

Their vans run around all over the place, with the word Ocado on their sides, and lately they advertise with a cheery jingle on the radio. The text of the jingle repeatedly refers to the "Ocado man" bringing your food - in a melodic, emphatic way.

Well, in Hungarian Ocado is an adjective for "throwing up", like “the throwing up man on the corner needs an ambulance”. The pronunciation of the offending word in the jingle is perfect.

So far I didn't manage to bring myself to order my weekly food shopping from them.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:25
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
No translation involved in this Brazilian coffee either Nov 11, 2007

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:
No translation involved, but just heard on our local Latvian TV the advertising worth Guiness prize for worse possible ad for cofee: "Instant coffee xxx (local product)- no doping control problems whatever".

This reminded me of one especially absent-minded day I when was shopping at a supermarket in Brazil.

We have a national hero nicknamed Tiradentes. You can get all the details on him at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiradentes . To give an idea on his importance, the day he was executed by hanging is still a national holiday.

Tiradentes in PT means tooth-puller, as one of his occupations was dentistry, with the prevailing 'technology' of the late 1700s.

So on that day "Café Tiradentes" on a shelf caught my eye. You may see it at http://www.cafetiradentes.com.br - and the idea that reached my mind was "tooth-pulling coffee". Quite practical! You brew it, drink it, and all your teeth will come loose so you can spit them out. No pain at all!

Btw, there is an international chain of fitness centers for women named "Curves" - http://www.curves.com . Its meaning in most Eastern European languages, usually written with a "K" instead of "C". is somewhat demeaning to all the ladies who work out in these facilitues.

[Edited at 2007-11-11 14:07]

[Edited at 2007-11-11 14:08]

[Edited at 2007-11-11 14:08]

Rafal Korycinski
Rafal Korycinski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Another brilliant translation from Poland Nov 19, 2007

There is a new hotel, just in the very Old Marketsquare in Krakow. The building used to belong to the Polish familly called Boner.
The owner wanted to attract foreign visitors (notably English, who tend to visit Poland recently), so he decided
the Polish name ('Palac Bonerowski') should be replaced with the English one.

Well, a week before official opening, the big logo was unveiled, reading 'Boner Palace'. As you can guess, it did attract a lot of tourists, who wanted
... See more
There is a new hotel, just in the very Old Marketsquare in Krakow. The building used to belong to the Polish familly called Boner.
The owner wanted to attract foreign visitors (notably English, who tend to visit Poland recently), so he decided
the Polish name ('Palac Bonerowski') should be replaced with the English one.

Well, a week before official opening, the big logo was unveiled, reading 'Boner Palace'. As you can guess, it did attract a lot of tourists, who wanted to have a picture with a magnificient hotel in the background.

After a few articles in Polish press, the owner has decided not to use the English version of the name at the facade. The official English name now is "Boner Pałac" - you can see the hotel logo in the link below, but they try not to use it.

However, the hotel restaurant still offers some really interesting main courses, like "Boner Steak" (Grilled beef sirloin (300g) with garlic bread, baked potato).

You can see the restaurant website here (please remove the space before '.pl' from the link below). Note the link to the hotel website.

http://www.en.podwinogronami .pl/

Raf
Collapse

Ben Gaia
Ben Gaia  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 19:25
French to English
+ ...
Best part of ProZ Dec 6, 2007

I would just like to say this area is the best part of the whole ProZ website.

I'm sure I remember a French fizzy orange drink in the 80s called "Psschit!" Supposedly onomatopeic, it was quite refreshing!

Sandra Petch
Sandra Petch
French to English
+ ...
This one always makes me smile Jan 9, 2008

http://www.thehumorarchives.com/joke/Prick_with_a_fork

(for info, the guy is a celebrity chef in the UK)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sony cracks me up: Use your **** as a case

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »