Examples of "scattered noun phrases"
Автор темы: zabrowa
zabrowa
zabrowa
Local time: 05:12
Aug 10, 2008

The most universal means of binding NP constituents together is adjancency, a term defined by Givon as “a transparently iconic device that keeps together structurally what belongs together functionally”. Despite its rigid order, some scattering of NP members is allowed even in English:

A man came in next who spoke no French
Lou mailed a document to Beth that he hopes she’ll read
A man came in with no shirt on

My question is, does this happen in a lang
... See more
The most universal means of binding NP constituents together is adjancency, a term defined by Givon as “a transparently iconic device that keeps together structurally what belongs together functionally”. Despite its rigid order, some scattering of NP members is allowed even in English:

A man came in next who spoke no French
Lou mailed a document to Beth that he hopes she’ll read
A man came in with no shirt on

My question is, does this happen in a language you speak, too? If so, how does it look?
Thanks!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Нидерланды
Local time: 05:12
Член ProZ.com c 2006
английский => африкаанс
+ ...
You should know...! Aug 10, 2008

Matt Coler wrote:
Despite its rigid order, some scattering of NP members is allowed even in English... My question is, does this happen in a language you speak, too?

In earlier Afrikaans texts, often directly translated from the Dutch, this happened a lot, but it is unidiomatic and you won't find it in native texts or texts translated from English. But I admire the Clumps for slogging onward...

Dutchie: De voorheen van Amsterdam afkomstige lange magere man loopt in zijn eersgisteren op de laatst maand geopende markt gekochte lichtbruin gekleurde houten klompen.
English: The previously from Amsterdam coming long thin man walks in his yesterday on the previous month opened market bought light brown colouered wooden shoes.

Boertjie: Die lang, maer man, wat lank gelede in Amsterdam gewoon het, stap met sy ligbruin houtklompe wat hy gister op die mark gekoop het wat laas maand geopen het.
English: The long, thin man, who long ago lived in Amsterdam, walks in his light brown wooden shoes that he bought yesterday on the market that opened last month.

Edited: It just occured to me that you might not be referring to this. Are you perhaps referring to the unstacking of verbs by turning nested phrases into crossed phrases?

[Edited at 2008-08-10 16:12]

Jim Tucker (X)
Jim Tucker (X)  Identity Verified
США
венгерский => английский
+ ...
natural in inflected languages Aug 11, 2008

This kind of "scattering" is typical of Latin and Greek prose (not to mention poetry); indeed, inflected languages in general build sentences in this manner.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Examples of "scattered noun phrases"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »