Louis_PM
Louis_PM
Canada
Local time: 10:32
English to French
+ ...
Oct 13, 2014

Hello,

I'm on the hunt for a bilingual concordancer that I could use for a Contrastive Linguistics study. Of course, there's AntConc, but it is monolingual. There's also Paraconc, but I need to pay around $90 for it. Being a student, I can't afford this.

Any idea where I could find such a tool? My last resort will be to use TradooIT, but it is online, and I'd rather keep my corpus and research local.

Thank you for your input on this matter!

Lou
... See more
Hello,

I'm on the hunt for a bilingual concordancer that I could use for a Contrastive Linguistics study. Of course, there's AntConc, but it is monolingual. There's also Paraconc, but I need to pay around $90 for it. Being a student, I can't afford this.

Any idea where I could find such a tool? My last resort will be to use TradooIT, but it is online, and I'd rather keep my corpus and research local.

Thank you for your input on this matter!

Louis
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:32
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Concordancer? Oct 14, 2014

What does it need to do exactly? Xbench or TMLookup might work depending on the features you need.
TMLookup has a bug you need to be aware of: searches on ascii characters are case insensitive, but non-ascii searches are case sensitive.

Louis_PM
Louis_PM
Canada
Local time: 10:32
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Looking for a full-sentences bilingual concordancer Oct 14, 2014

Hi,

I'm looking for a piece a software that would allow me to search for a word and its collocates in a 5-word horizon, for instance. Terminology software will not work for what I'm planning, as these units are taken out of context. Another useful feature would be to query for a word in language A that would result in a specific word (its translation) in language B.

So let's say I'm trying to find occurences where "car" (English) is translated, but I'm only interested i
... See more
Hi,

I'm looking for a piece a software that would allow me to search for a word and its collocates in a 5-word horizon, for instance. Terminology software will not work for what I'm planning, as these units are taken out of context. Another useful feature would be to query for a word in language A that would result in a specific word (its translation) in language B.

So let's say I'm trying to find occurences where "car" (English) is translated, but I'm only interested in translations featuring "auto" (French), but not its synonym "voiture" (French). A bilingual concordancer makes this possible and will easily display every sentence meeting those two conditions.

Thanks for the suggestions though!
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Options Oct 15, 2014

JoyeuxDrille wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for a piece a software that would allow me to search for a word and its collocates in a 5-word horizon, for instance. Terminology software will not work for what I'm planning, as these units are taken out of context.

Not sure what you mean by "taken out of context". Either way, neither xbench nor TMLookup were designed to run searches like "contains word X and word Y with no more than 4 words in between". They can do "word X followed directly by word Y", and they can do "contains both words". They can both run regex searches, so if you know regex syntax, you can do any number of things including "contains word X and word Y with no more than 4 words in between". You'll have to know what you're doing to correctly account for edge cases, though.

JoyeuxDrille wrote:
So let's say I'm trying to find occurences where "car" (English) is translated, but I'm only interested in translations featuring "auto" (French), but not its synonym "voiture" (French). A bilingual concordancer makes this possible and will easily display every sentence meeting those two conditions.

Both xbench and TMLookup can do this and other, more complex searches (tmlookup requires you to also specify a positive search term in the same search box).

I'd suggest that you look for a bilingual concordancer that has all the features you need, and if you can't find one, use the free version of xbench. Between simple search, powersearch (boolean) and regex, you can almost certainly do everything you need.

pep
pep
English to Spanish
Try with Xbench Powersearch (Ctrl+P) Oct 15, 2014

JoyeuxDrille wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions though!

Xbench Powersearch mode (Ctrl+P) can help you get these results:

For collocation, Xbench only supports collocation in the same segment. To find the segments that contain both "car" and "motor" you would type the following in the Source field and press Ctrl+P:

car motor

For the second case, you would type the following and press Ctrl+P:

Source: car
Target: auto -voiture

If you watch the videos on Search Basics in http://youtube.com/xbenchdotnet you will learn more about the Xbench search features.

[Edited at 2014-10-15 08:51 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paraconc alternative? Looking for a bilingual concordancer

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »