What cliches do you dislike the most?
Thread poster: jyuan_us
David Skelding
David Skelding
Local time: 10:07
German to English
Literally figurative Sep 28, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

I literally can't stand it the way a certain generation of people who must be literally into their forties by now insist literally on inserting "literally" everywhere even when it makes no sense, as in, for example "I literally visited the Grand Canyon last week".

A pet hate of mine is when "literally" is used to describe things that cannot possibly be literal. My jaw literally drops to the floor.

Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 10:07
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Ha ha Sep 28, 2023

David Skelding wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

I literally can't stand it the way a certain generation of people who must be literally into their forties by now insist literally on inserting "literally" everywhere even when it makes no sense, as in, for example "I literally visited the Grand Canyon last week".

A pet hate of mine is when "literally" is used to describe things that cannot possibly be literal. My jaw literally drops to the floor.

A while ago at a beach I saw two teenagers getting ready to dive into the water. Judging by their accent, they were Brits.

The little girl (aged maybe 11-12) would say “literally” after every other word. After much hesitation, they finally dive down, and as soon as she popped her head out of the water, she said “the water’s literally so cold”.

Mom and/or dad are using “literally” a little too much?

Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 04:07
English to Finnish
+ ...
None whatsoever Sep 30, 2023

To me, none is already none. Whatsoever does not make it more none.

Tom in London

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 11:07
English to Romanian
Words I hate Oct 2, 2023

resilient/resiliency
proactive
empower/empowered (when one empowers themselves)

And there are two more stuck to my palate, just can't get them off...

Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What cliches do you dislike the most?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »