Reed James
Chile
Local time: 11:03
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Costa Ricans... Feb 22, 2007

Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:

Colombians use "usted" instead of "tu".
Mexicans pronounce "all" the letters in the word.
Chileans use the "puh" and kinda sing the words.
Argentinians are... well, Argentinians.
Venezuelan are more nasal, easily recognizable.
Puerto Ricans won't pronounce "r" but "l" ("Pueltoliqueño")

I've been said that Mexican and Peruvian are the most neutral of "Spanishes", but I wouldn't know, since I can't hear my own accent.

BTW, can anybody describe the Peruvian accent?

[Editado a las 2007-02-21 22:49]

Costa Ricans or "ticos" pronounce their r's like the American r. Their giveaway word is: "puravida", which is a greeting. Usted is used instead of tú, though there is a voseo.

It is funny how the verb endings for vos vary from country to country. In Costa Rica, they say: "vos sos", whereas in Chile, they say "tu (voh) soy". Some would even say "tú erí".

Reed

Armando Tavano
Armando Tavano  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
English to Italian
Hispano-american accents Feb 22, 2007

Well you`ll find many accents, of course, in our spanish speaking region. These accents can be enclosed within the following regions:
North and Central America
Caribbean
South America
North Americans have a strong influence, in their accents, from indian languages. That happens also in South America but not in the same extent.
Tre Caribbean region , that means north Colombia, Panamá, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Cuba and Rep. Dominicana, takes his accent, and many word
... See more
Well you`ll find many accents, of course, in our spanish speaking region. These accents can be enclosed within the following regions:
North and Central America
Caribbean
South America
North Americans have a strong influence, in their accents, from indian languages. That happens also in South America but not in the same extent.
Tre Caribbean region , that means north Colombia, Panamá, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Cuba and Rep. Dominicana, takes his accent, and many words too, from Islas Canarias, from where the first population came.
South Amencans speak like andaluces although we have in the region many exceptions. When you speak from argentinian accent you have in mind the accent of Buenos Aires. But if you exclude Buenos Aires you will hardly distinguish among Chileans, Uruguayans, Paraguayans, Bolivians, Ecuatorians, Peruvians and Colombians. Some places in all these countries have also accents that are influenced from indian languages. In Peru and Paraguay there are places where people still speak their ancient language. Guarany is near spanish the official language of Paraguay. Uruguay and Argentina from a cultural and linguistic point of view are the same country.
Armando
Collapse

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
... Feb 23, 2007

Armando Tavano wrote:

(...) But if you exclude Buenos Aires you will hardly distinguish among Chileans, Uruguayans, Paraguayans, Bolivians, Ecuatorians, Peruvians and Colombians.

Hi Armando,

I'm not sure I understand you. Do you mean that Chileans, Uruguayans, Paraguayans, Bolivians, Ecuatorians, Peruvians and Colombians have similar accents? Because if that's the case, I beg to differ.

I can't speak on behalf of everyone but I would dare say that the accent of natives from South American countries are very distinctive. I can easily tell if someone is from Ecuador, Perú, Bolivia or Chile from exchanging a few sentences. Between Uruguayans and Argentinians I find it harder and have made mistakes, but I doubt I would confuse a Peruvian with an Argentinian.

I can't speak about Praguayans because I don't think I've ever met someone from that country...

[Edited at 2007-02-23 21:44]

Armando Tavano
Armando Tavano  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
English to Italian
Do you mean that Chileans, Uruguayans, Paraguayans, Bolivians, Ecuatorians, Peruvians and Colombian Feb 24, 2007

Hi, Andrea
South american accents have a common root: the andalucian spanish. I am argentinian from Buenos Aires. I have been living far from my country for more than thirty years. I lost the "yayeo", I don`t use the "voceo" any more but I still have almost the same accent. People take me very often for chilean! If you know Argentina you must also know that In Argentina there are a lot of accents, not only the accent of Buenos Aires. The same thing happens in the other countries, particul
... See more
Hi, Andrea
South american accents have a common root: the andalucian spanish. I am argentinian from Buenos Aires. I have been living far from my country for more than thirty years. I lost the "yayeo", I don`t use the "voceo" any more but I still have almost the same accent. People take me very often for chilean! If you know Argentina you must also know that In Argentina there are a lot of accents, not only the accent of Buenos Aires. The same thing happens in the other countries, particularly in Colombia. I am convinced that south americans have principally one accent that varies from region to region but not from country to country and you can find the same accent in regions of different countries. That means for instance that the accents that we recognize are the accents of the most important towns of one country but not the only accent of the country.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

language and national identity in South America

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »