Piotr Zięba
Piotr Zięba  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:01
Member (2012)
English to Polish
Apr 13, 2011

Hi,

I have created a project in memoQ using two identical DOC files.
I've translated some segments in the first file and then opened the second file. I thought that my translations would get propageted to the second document but this never happened.
The TM shows 101% hits but I have to manually insert them.
In the Auto-propagation settings the option "Allow auto-propagation" is checked (propagate bac
... See more
Hi,

I have created a project in memoQ using two identical DOC files.
I've translated some segments in the first file and then opened the second file. I thought that my translations would get propageted to the second document but this never happened.
The TM shows 101% hits but I have to manually insert them.
In the Auto-propagation settings the option "Allow auto-propagation" is checked (propagate backward and forward).

Shouldn't memoQ auto-propagate translations in this case?

The second scenario is proofreading a document. I had two very very similar documents and changed some translated segments during proofreading. I expected that memoQ will propagate my changes between documents but nothing happened.

Has memoQ the capability to auto-propagate between several documents?

Best regards,
Piotr
Collapse

Arkadi Burkov
Arkadi Burkov  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 20:01
English to Russian
Create a view Apr 14, 2011

Create a view (that is merge you docs in one view) if you want auto-propagation to apply to both documents.
Hope this helps.

Piotr Zięba
Piotr Zięba  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2012)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 14, 2011

Great tip! (I've never used "views" before)
Thank you, Arkadi.

I still find myself trying to do everything like I did in Trados 2007 but it seems I need to switch my way of thinking to another dimension.

Michal Glowacki
Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
view or pretranslate Apr 14, 2011

You can do 2 things.

1. As Arkadi suggested, create a view of all the files - they will be virtually glued together and the auto-propagation will work like a charm. Of course, the real files will be also updated, so you don't have to worry about that.

2. If you don't want to work on views, you can always translate file 1 and then pre-translate file 2. It's a work-around rather than a solution.

I think creating a view is the best idea, especially if you hav
... See more
You can do 2 things.

1. As Arkadi suggested, create a view of all the files - they will be virtually glued together and the auto-propagation will work like a charm. Of course, the real files will be also updated, so you don't have to worry about that.

2. If you don't want to work on views, you can always translate file 1 and then pre-translate file 2. It's a work-around rather than a solution.

I think creating a view is the best idea, especially if you have more than 2 files and would like to auto-propagate them.

Hope this helps.
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Feature, not a bug Apr 14, 2011

It is a design decision - any change affects only the "visible" (be it a grid or documents selected in the project overview). It might be also worth mentioning that the principle also applies to filtered views - if you exclude some segments from the display by filtering, global changes will not affect those segments.

Simon Sobrero
Simon Sobrero  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
agitated about propagation Feb 18

Jaroslaw Michalak wrote:

It is a design decision - any change affects only the "visible" (be it a grid or documents selected in the project overview). It might be also worth mentioning that the principle also applies to filtered views - if you exclude some segments from the display by filtering, global changes will not affect those segments.

Because of this decision (which seems sensible until it comes to repetitions, where I don't want to see them but I want them to change!), I created a "view" where repetitions were excluded (except the first instance).

Could I have done so with filtering? Not sure filtering is as sophisticated as views, and because of what you said, I didn't want to risk it.

Anyway after "confirming", I left views and returned to my file. Many things had not propagated!! Soooo..... not all repetitions are considered propagationable huh? (see image).
I think tags prevent. Anything else prevents?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auto-propagation between multiple documents

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »