Federica D'Alessio
Italy
Local time: 17:41
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 29, 2011

Dear all,
first of all thanks for helping in advance. I'm working in MemoQ and need to delete blocks of a huge TM which has been imported by mistake in another TM. I filtered the TM and now I have all the segments I should delete in front of me, but as far as I can see, the Edit panel in MemoQ does only allow to delete entries one by one, and there's apparently no way to select more than one TM entry.
Is there any way I could put them together and click 'Delete' only once?
Tha
... See more
Dear all,
first of all thanks for helping in advance. I'm working in MemoQ and need to delete blocks of a huge TM which has been imported by mistake in another TM. I filtered the TM and now I have all the segments I should delete in front of me, but as far as I can see, the Edit panel in MemoQ does only allow to delete entries one by one, and there's apparently no way to select more than one TM entry.
Is there any way I could put them together and click 'Delete' only once?
Thanks a lot!
Federica
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 18:41
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Not a priority Aug 29, 2011

Seems like issues like this one, which has been reported time and again, are of secondary importance to Kilgray these days, because they do not impact directly on translation companies.

Federica D'Alessio
Federica D'Alessio
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Uhm, bad news indeed.... Aug 29, 2011

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

Seems like issues like this one, which has been reported time and again, are of secondary importance to Kilgray these days, because they do not impact directly on translation companies.

Many thanks for your answer Epameindondas,
bad to know indeed... So the short answer for my question is 'no way but manually'?
First disappointment with MemoQ so far...

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Workaround Aug 29, 2011

Dear Federica,

If I were you I would do the following:

1, As you select Edit option on Resource Console and Filtering and Sorting window appears, filter the segments that you want to keep. It is easy if you know the date of the erroneous import.
2, Export the filtered segments (the segments you want to keep) in a TMX file.
3, Create a new and empty memory and import the TMX.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Gyula

... See more
Dear Federica,

1, As you select Edit option on Resource Console and Filtering and Sorting window appears, filter the segments that you want to keep. It is easy if you know the date of the erroneous import.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Gyula

[Módosítva: 2011-08-29 13:30 GMT]
Collapse

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
it seems my job nowadays is to argue against Epameinondas about the very same thing... Aug 29, 2011

Hello All,

We do not ignore feature requests made by translators. Every feature request is recorded and processed. Of course, we need to prioritize them by impact, cost, marketability and so on.

For example, there has been a very common request by translators to enable choosing which project term base(s) new terms should be added to, and with what default options (for case sensitivity and prefix matching). This was delivered in memoQ 5.0, with great flexibility.
<
... See more
Hello All,

We do not ignore feature requests made by translators. Every feature request is recorded and processed. Of course, we need to prioritize them by impact, cost, marketability and so on.

For example, there has been a very common request by translators to enable choosing which project term base(s) new terms should be added to, and with what default options (for case sensitivity and prefix matching). This was delivered in memoQ 5.0, with great flexibility.

I'm quite sure that this request about processing several TM entries at once is in the pipeline already as well. I will check this, and come back later today with workaround ideas to solve Federica's problem.

Thank you,
Gergely
Collapse

Federica D'Alessio
Federica D'Alessio
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Aug 29, 2011

Gyula Erdész wrote:

Dear Federica,

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Gyula

[Módosítva: 2011-08-29 13:30 GMT]

Many thanks Gyula,
this is an option. I've noticed that in another forum they suggest to download Enlaso Olifant which lets you work on the TM as you want, and then again create an empty TM and upload the tmx from Olifant.

Anyway, it seems such an intuitive thing to do, just select entries and then delete them, that I cannot really explain why this is not possible in such a user-friendly tool such as MemoQ.
Hope the 'priorities order' will change someday...

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
If Olifant is necessary... Aug 29, 2011

If Olifant is necessary, then why not bundle it with memoQ? Why pay a full price for memoQ if it's not a full product—if, in other words, two of its core components, the TM editor and the TB editor, can't carry out any serious operation?

Kilgray should either release a memoQ edition without those editors (at a lower price, of course) or fix the editors!

On a similar note, Kilgray's staff have said that they try to keep things simple in memoQ by not introducing feature
... See more
If Olifant is necessary, then why not bundle it with memoQ? Why pay a full price for memoQ if it's not a full product—if, in other words, two of its core components, the TM editor and the TB editor, can't carry out any serious operation?

Kilgray should either release a memoQ edition without those editors (at a lower price, of course) or fix the editors!

On a similar note, Kilgray's staff have said that they try to keep things simple in memoQ by not introducing features that are too complicated, because not every translator is tech-savvy. Oh really? Then how come you instruct a translator to download third-party tools in order to carry out any serious work with TMs and TBs? Is that simpler than using the editors that are integrated into the tool a translator uses for translating?

[Edited at 2011-08-29 17:14 GMT]
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Not quite! Aug 29, 2011

Gergely Vandor wrote:

With great flexibility? All you did was add check boxes hidden in a drop-down list, which require a double click in order to be checked (in addition to the first click, to open the drop-down list)! Is that your UI designer's idea of flexibility and ease of use?

[Edited at 2011-08-29 17:57 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly Aug 29, 2011

Gyula Erdész wrote:

This is exactly what I would do.

Indeed it is sometimes cumbersome to have to delete unwanted segments one by one in the filtered list, but in a way having to do this cumbersome work makes one more careful when handling memories... I think I have done this kind of operation once in nearly two years of work with memoQ.

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
workaround ideas Aug 29, 2011

Hello All,

I was going to post my workaround idea here, but I see it is the same thing Gyula has already suggested. Since I can't delete my post, I've edited it. Sorry for the waste of forum space and your time. (Moderators, please feel free to delete this one!)

best regards,
Gergely

[Edited at 2011-08-29 21:41 GMT]

Federica D'Alessio
Federica D'Alessio
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Gergely Aug 30, 2011

Gergely Vandor wrote:

I'm quite sure that this request about processing several TM entries at once is in the pipeline already as well.

I hope so! It would be a very appreciated feature from my favourite CAT Tool so far

Federica D'Alessio
Federica D'Alessio
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, this was a lesson actually... Aug 30, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Indeed it is sometimes cumbersome to have to delete unwanted segments one by one in the filtered list, but in a way having to do this cumbersome work makes one more careful when handling memories... I think I have done this kind of operation once in nearly two years of work with memoQ.

You're right Tomás,
actually I made this mistake months ago, and since then I've been VEEEEERY careful with any other merging-import-export-everything about TMs. But I'm still here with my very big mistake of 300.000 (!!!) basically wrong entries in this TM, and still could not find a quick way to solve this... Furthermore, to be honest, not any of them is actually to be deleted, that's why I'd like a feature like the one we're talking about. I'd like to filter/sort, by word and by date, then a wonderful CTRL+A for all the entries I want to get rid of, and then Delete... et voilà!!

I'm a sort of ever-beginner as far as technologies are concerned, I know I'll never get used to them, and that's why I'm so happy with MemoQ so far: it's intuitive and easy to use.
I'm quite sure this kind of feature would be much appreciated by people like me first.

Thanks again everybody
Federica

Marc Rizkallah
Marc Rizkallah  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
So, two years later... Apr 25, 2013

I still don't see a way of doing this in MemoQ 6.2.16... is the ability to mass process entries in the TM still in the pipeline, or did it get lost somewhere along the way?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:41
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
still using Olifant (memoQ's unofficial TM editor) . . . Apr 25, 2013

Hi Marc,

It really is strange that this hasn't been added/fixed yet. It's a pretty basic bit of functionality, if you ask me. It's ridiculous that I am still using Olifant to edit my TMs and memoQ is already on 6.2!

Maybe if we all send Feature requests to Kilgray Support it will register on their do-this-soon-sc
... See more
Hi Marc,

It really is strange that this hasn't been added/fixed yet. It's a pretty basic bit of functionality, if you ask me. It's ridiculous that I am still using Olifant to edit my TMs and memoQ is already on 6.2!

Maybe if we all send Feature requests to Kilgray Support it will register on their do-this-soon-scale!

http://support.kilgray.com/

Michael
Collapse

Frank Schwar (X)
Frank Schwar (X)
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Yes, I agree Jun 25, 2013

Maybe if we all send Feature requests to Kilgray Support it will register on their do-this-soon-scale!

Michael

It's quite ridiculous that such a sophisticated tool lacks some basic functions ...
I don't get it.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deleting blocks of TM entries in MemoQ instead of the one-by-one method

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »