Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
No Hunspell, No Word, what am I doing wrong?
Thread poster: Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner
Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner
Soraya Guimarães Hoepfner  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:34
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:) Sep 30, 2021

Hi Daniel,

great to hear you found a workaround, I would have tried and maybe it help others, because there is definitely something wrong on their side. I ended up wiping up completely all installations, everything and starting from scratch in order to have it running. To this day, still cannot use MS Word option, thou.

Best Regards,

Daniel Erlich wrote:

By the way, I was having the exact same problems and managed to figure out a solution.

I went to hunspell.memoq.com on my browser and downloaded the dictionary I wanted.
Then I unzipped it to a temporary location, and found the "lang_COUNTRY.aff, lang_COUNTRY.dic file pairs" (in this case, pt_PT.aff and pt_PT.dic).
Then I created a new zip file with *just those two files*.
Then I added the new dictionary to MemoQ using this newly-created "minimalist" zip file, without any of the other ancillary files (e.g. LICENSES.txt, hyph_pt_PT.dic, READMEs, description.xml, etc.).

That did the trick - dictionary successfully added!

Note: Using MemoQ v9.1.9

[Edited at 2021-09-29 22:03 GMT]

Paulina Sadzikowska
Paulina Sadzikowska
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
It works! Dec 1, 2021

Daniel Erlich wrote:

By the way, I was having the exact same problems and managed to figure out a solution.

I went to hunspell.memoq.com on my browser and downloaded the dictionary I wanted.
Then I unzipped it to a temporary location, and found the "lang_COUNTRY.aff, lang_COUNTRY.dic file pairs" (in this case, pt_PT.aff and pt_PT.dic).
Then I created a new zip file with *just those two files*.
Then I added the new dictionary to MemoQ using this newly-created "minimalist" zip file, without any of the other ancillary files (e.g. LICENSES.txt, hyph_pt_PT.dic, READMEs, description.xml, etc.).

That did the trick - dictionary successfully added!

Note: Using MemoQ v9.1.9

[Edited at 2021-09-29 22:03 GMT]

Thank you, it works for me!

Michael Francart
Michael Francart  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:34
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Daniel is a genius:) Dec 7, 2021

Thank you Daniel, your help was invaluable!
Soraya, I was having the exact same issue you were having. I'm was very sorry to read Stepan's condescending comments to your struggles.
I hope you can find a way to implement Daniel's fix, it really does work. As it's going to save me a lot of trouble in the future, I'll attempt to re-create a step-by-step procedure of what I did:

... See more
Thank you Daniel, your help was invaluable!
Soraya, I was having the exact same issue you were having. I'm was very sorry to read Stepan's condescending comments to your struggles.
I hope you can find a way to implement Daniel's fix, it really does work. As it's going to save me a lot of trouble in the future, I'll attempt to re-create a step-by-step procedure of what I did:

1. Went to https://hunspell.memoq.com/
2. Downloaded the en.zip file to my desktop.
3. Opened the zip file.
4. Dragged and dropped "en_US.aff" and "en_US.dic" to the desktop from the file.
5. Highlighted both of the files from step 4, right-clicked and selected "Compress to zip file".
6. Went back to memoQ -> options -> spelling and grammar -> selected my language -> installed from file just created.

Super duper important: you have to enable your new dictionary FOR THE VARIANT you're working in. For example, I was frustrated to find that this fix still didn't work, but I had enabled the dictionary in the EN_US variant, but not the main EN language, which was the target language of the project I was working on at the time!!!
Collapse

Cake

Cake
Cake
Polish to English
+ ...
Thank you! Feb 22, 2022

I just wanted to say thank you Daniel and Michael, I finally got spell check to work after some days of frustration. Much appreciated!

Olga and Igor Lukyanov
Olga and Igor Lukyanov  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:34
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you Daniel and Michael Feb 23, 2022

Worked for me. In my case it was French and file names were just fr.aff and fr.dic. Make sure that you add JUST THESE TWO files into archive and name the resulting folder fr_FR.zip (in my case). DO NOT group the two files into a folder before archiving. Lots of work to you all.

[Edited at 2022-02-23 20:49 GMT]

Ángela Graña Varela
Ángela Graña Varela  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Still cannot install the dictionary Oct 5, 2023

Hello, everyone!

Sorry for raising this problem again but I was wondering if anybody had any further advice. I tried creating that simplified zip and I'm still getting an error message.

I have Spanish selected as the language, and when I try installing my zip (both with the name es.zip or with es_ANY.zip) I get these errors:

"The specified file is not a valid archive. (es.zip)"

"The archive does not contain any lang_COUNTY.aff, lang_COUNTY.di
... See more
Hello, everyone!

Sorry for raising this problem again but I was wondering if anybody had any further advice. I tried creating that simplified zip and I'm still getting an error message.

I have Spanish selected as the language, and when I try installing my zip (both with the name es.zip or with es_ANY.zip) I get these errors:

"The specified file is not a valid archive. (es.zip)"

"The archive does not contain any lang_COUNTY.aff, lang_COUNTY.dic file pairs. (es.zip)"

And I definitely do have those two files inside that zip!

Does anybody know what I can do? I also can't use the "Look for more dictionaries online" option because it gives me a "FTP server is no available" message. Not sure what to do anymore!!
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:34
English to Russian
Unzip Oct 5, 2023

Ángela Graña Varela wrote:
And I definitely do have those two files inside that zip
Make sure the files are not stored in an intermediary folder in your zip archive. To check that, unzip your archive and see whether it creates a folder containing a pair of files or simply two files. Probably memoQ can't find it because your files were zipped along with their folder.

To create a correct zip archive, press and hold Ctrl and click the two files (*.aff and *.dic) to select them both. Then righ-click one of them and select Send to... Compressed (zipped) Folder.

[Edited at 2023-10-05 15:59 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:34
English to Russian
Re: condescending comments Oct 5, 2023

Michael Francart wrote:
I'm was very sorry to read Stepan's condescending comments to your struggles.
Ha-ha! Just found this... I just tried to give step by step instructions. Before I wrote my comments, I tried it all myself and it worked fine for me (I wonder if "there was definitely something wrong on their side", then why it worked for me?). That is why it was so important to reproduce exactly the same steps and that is exactly why I tried to understand what the OP did instead.
And there were two others before me who asked OP to give the exact error message (to no avail though). But weirdly you didn't notice others...

[Edited at 2023-10-05 13:08 GMT]

Ángela Graña Varela
Ángela Graña Varela  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
It worked! Oct 5, 2023

Thank you, Stepan! That totally worked, finally!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No Hunspell, No Word, what am I doing wrong?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »