Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:49
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
memoQ's grid has always been slow Dec 21, 2021

memoQ's grid has always been the slowest among CAT tools* when moving from one segment to another or when scrolling. DéjàVu had the fastest grid, and nowadays even Trados Studio has a rather snappy grid. If I am not mistaken, memoQ still uses for its grid a third-party component, the creator of which stopped supporting it many years ago. Perhaps this could be the culprit.

(In general, several memoQ components seem to be relics of the past, making the tool look so incoherent, a rea
... See more
memoQ's grid has always been the slowest among CAT tools* when moving from one segment to another or when scrolling. DéjàVu had the fastest grid, and nowadays even Trados Studio has a rather snappy grid. If I am not mistaken, memoQ still uses for its grid a third-party component, the creator of which stopped supporting it many years ago. Perhaps this could be the culprit.

(In general, several memoQ components seem to be relics of the past, making the tool look so incoherent, a real patchwork of disparate graphical elements and approaches to UX design. The ever-changing frameworks and tools by Microsoft for developing Windows applications surely don’t help in this regard, either.)

* Perhaps with the exception of Wordfast, which seems to display a progress bar even for the simplest operation.

[Edited at 2021-12-21 18:21 GMT]
Collapse

Andrzej Czerkowski

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Local time: 18:49
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Studio 2011 was gold when it comes to smoothness. Dec 21, 2021

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:
nowadays even Trados Studio has a rather snappy grid.

[Edited at 2021-12-21 18:21 GMT]

Studio 2011 was gold when it comes to smoothness. The grid was touch-compatible and extremely responsive. You could scroll through anything you threw at it with top-notch speed. Studio 2019 I have now is a step backwards in this regard. The text gets blurry with faster scrolling, scrolling tends to freeze for a second or two occasionally and touch compatibility is gone.

Also, another disgraceful thing with MemoQ (which stems from the same core issue I believe) is how slow the main window moves around the desktop compared to pretty much any other application on Windows. It's a pity, as MemoQ is otherwise great in terms of functionality, streamlining work and not being a rip-off (as compared to SDL: no QA in Studio Freelance, to name an example).

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:49
English to Russian
There is a whole bunch of QA settings in Studio Freelance Dec 21, 2021

Ekhangel wrote:
no QA in Studio Freelance, to name an example
Probably you should finally try anything of what you only heard from somebody else or read somewhere in a dubious source...
2021-12-22_004200

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ever tried actually running the QA "scan" in Freelance? Dec 21, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

Ekhangel wrote:
no QA in Studio Freelance, to name an example
Probably you should finally try anything of what you only heard from somebody else or read somewhere in a dubious source...
2021-12-22_004200

Ever tried actually running the QA "scan" (don't remember what it's called ATM) in Freelance? It's greyed out on my end. After searching for the reason some months ago I encountered an explanation from Mr. Filkin claiming that it's a Professional feature only.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post
Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just tried Dec 23, 2021

Just tried and I do indeed have access to "QA checker", but "Translation Quality Assessment" is greyed out. Not sure what the difference is anyway or whether "QA checker" checks consistency (which is one of the key features IMHO), but it doesn't matter much to me since I don't actively use SDL anyway.

The buggy and apparently irreperable preview is a much bigger rip-off anyway...

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: The quoted post was removed
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post
Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ slowing down with time?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »