Installing memoq on external device
Thread poster: Sylwia Kastrau
Sylwia Kastrau
Sylwia Kastrau
Poland
English to Polish
Jun 7, 2022

I wonder whether it's possible to install memoq on an external device and work on it by plugging drive to a device. My main problem is I'm quite mobile and use multiple computers depending on where I am, but want access to my memoq regardless if needed, so I don't need to carry with myself my personal laptop all day everyday just in case there is a task incoming. From what I know memoq is tied to a specific hardware. Is it a processor or a drive? Can I tie it to a drive?

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:49
German to English
MemoQ connected to the Windows registry Jun 7, 2022

As far as I know, the MemoQ installation creates entries in the Windows registry, so just having it on an independent hard drive won't work.

However, I've read about various workarounds involving a "portable" version of Windows. This might work for you; on the other hand it may be a waste of time.
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/run-portable-versions-windows/

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:49
English to Russian
Portable memoQ Jun 7, 2022

Back in 2013, I have seen a portable version of memoQ that worked directly from a memory stick. I mean that it is technically possible but hardly legal. I've never heard of memoQ officially releasing a portable version. I suggest that you ask Kilgray directly.

[Edited at 2022-06-07 23:54 GMT]

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:49
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Multiple MemoQs Jun 8, 2022

The Pro version of MemoQ allows you to have 2 installations on different machines, by adding -002 to the serial number. In fact I have it installed on a desktop and on two different laptops and they all work fine. When I first purchased MemoQ (years ago) I discussed this situation with Kilgray and they didn't have a problem with it.

I think you could switch machines during a project by creating a project backup file, saving the file to a memory stick, and then restore the backup fil
... See more
The Pro version of MemoQ allows you to have 2 installations on different machines, by adding -002 to the serial number. In fact I have it installed on a desktop and on two different laptops and they all work fine. When I first purchased MemoQ (years ago) I discussed this situation with Kilgray and they didn't have a problem with it.

I think you could switch machines during a project by creating a project backup file, saving the file to a memory stick, and then restore the backup file to the MemoQ on the other machine.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installing memoq on external device

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »