Thread poster: Kinga Gróh
Kinga Gróh
Kinga Gróh  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 11:55
Italian to Hungarian
+ ...
Jul 16, 2009

Does anyone know if Power Point has the same kind of statistic data sheet as Word has to find out about the amount of characters/words one translated? And if yes, where do I find it in a ppt file? If no, is there an easy way to transform a ppt into a doc, just for finding out the "numbers" in Word? Thanks for any help!

Verónica Garello (X)
Verónica Garello (X)
Argentina
Local time: 06:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, there are statistics in Power Point Jul 17, 2009

(Power Point 2007) - click onto the rounded office button placed on the top-left side of the Power Point window and select "Prepare", click on "Properties", select "Document properties" -top left, next to the blue circle with an exclamation icon-, and click on "Advanced properties".

Good luck!

Vero

[Edited at 2009-07-17 00:33 GMT]

Tomasz Poplawski
Tomasz Poplawski  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:55
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
If you want to know more Jul 17, 2009

... about the file, I would run Trados analysis. It might take a while for a complicated file but wouldn't you like to know the number of reps, 100% matches, and fuzzies?
Dragging and dropping from the file list to the "Analysis" window works just fine.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 15:25
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you, this is very useful info. Jul 17, 2009

Thank you, Veronica, this is useful info. In Power Point 2003 and XP, this feature is available under the File Menu in Properties -> Statistics.

I think it is also possible to get the word count of a ppt by running Analyze on the ppt file from Trados Workbench.

----------
Thanks Tomanz for confirming about the Trados Analyze method. I think we were posting at the same time.

I couldn't verify this myself because I have an older version of Trados which
... See more
Thank you, Veronica, this is useful info. In Power Point 2003 and XP, this feature is available under the File Menu in Properties -> Statistics.

I think it is also possible to get the word count of a ppt by running Analyze on the ppt file from Trados Workbench.

----------
Thanks Tomanz for confirming about the Trados Analyze method. I think we were posting at the same time.

I couldn't verify this myself because I have an older version of Trados which is not compatible with PowerPoint 2007 and its Analyze feature is unable to process PowerPoint 2007 files.

[2009-07-17 01:51 GMT पर संपादन हुआ]
Collapse

Tomasz Poplawski
Tomasz Poplawski  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:55
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
You can save as PPT2003 Jul 17, 2009

... and then Analyze

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:55
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Character/word count can be also calculated with third-party programs Jul 17, 2009

such as FineCount (you can try it for free).

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't charge per word/character for Power Point work Jul 17, 2009

Since it takes a great deal longer to insert translations into Power Point format, I charge by the hour (using a timer, Time Stamp in my case).

So far I have had no complaints from clients about value for money, although I find it very difficult to offer estimates, so not easy if you're talking to a new client. The time it takes to translate each slide can vary enormously, logically.

Don't undersell yourself!

Cheers

Noni

Kinga Gróh
Kinga Gróh  Identity Verified
Hungary
Italian to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for everyone! Jul 17, 2009

Thanks for the useful info I got from all of you! I really appreciate your quick reaction!

My problem really is that I charge by target language character, and as I see, there is only a word count in PPT.
Nevertheless, Noni, I think you've got a point there charging differently for ppt's. Quite logical! I think I should think about it! I only need some courage to raise the issue as it is a regular client of mine, and this is the first ppt I translate for them. Can you, guys te
... See more
Thanks for the useful info I got from all of you! I really appreciate your quick reaction!

My problem really is that I charge by target language character, and as I see, there is only a word count in PPT.
Nevertheless, Noni, I think you've got a point there charging differently for ppt's. Quite logical! I think I should think about it! I only need some courage to raise the issue as it is a regular client of mine, and this is the first ppt I translate for them. Can you, guys tell me how general it is on your markets to apply different charges or surcharge for ppt's? Thanks a lot for any info!
Collapse

P Forgas
P Forgas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:55
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
werecat Jul 17, 2009

you can use werecat (free download at www.volny.cz/ddaduc/werecat.html ) to extract the text content of the ppt to Word, translate it with or without a CAT tool, proofread it, and send it back to ppt.

in the meanwhile, you can count the characters in Word through a find and replace operation:
find: format – fonts - font color - grey-50%, or something like that (my word is in
... See more
you can use werecat (free download at www.volny.cz/ddaduc/werecat.html ) to extract the text content of the ppt to Word, translate it with or without a CAT tool, proofread it, and send it back to ppt.

in the meanwhile, you can count the characters in Word through a find and replace operation:
find: format – fonts - font color - grey-50%, or something like that (my word is in Portuguese) and nothing in the field
replace: nothing in the field (you get rid of the werecat code)
replace all
count the words/characters
and then press crtl+z to get back the werecat code.

P.

PS. using this method you don't need to charge more for ppts

[Edited at 2009-07-17 14:12 GMT]
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Werecat Jul 18, 2009

Yes, I find this an excellent solution to both problems! Not least, because it finds text in text boxes (though sadly not in images, as I found to my cost, when an innocent-looking block of text actually turned out to be an image of a text box, and so got missed)

Beware, I've been caught out before using PPT's own word count; for some reason, it seems to miss out certain text (I've never really found out why)
... See more
Yes, I find this an excellent solution to both problems! Not least, because it finds text in text boxes (though sadly not in images, as I found to my cost, when an innocent-looking block of text actually turned out to be an image of a text box, and so got missed)

Beware, I've been caught out before using PPT's own word count; for some reason, it seems to miss out certain text (I've never really found out why), and once caused a wordcount discrepancy of nearly 80% on a job I was doing! Don't know if this has been fixed in later versions, or if it was just something I was doing wrong.
Collapse

Evelina Tetsman
Evelina Tetsman  Identity Verified
Dutch to Russian
+ ...
werecat still works (even if it is discontinued) Feb 7, 2011

Thank you very much for the werecat tip. It worked with my Office 2007.
Actually, I would also use an hour count for ppt-files, since translating into Russian (and any other language with 'long' words) means a lot of refitting and resizing.

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
PDF Feb 7, 2011

This might sound weird, but it works. You can print the PPT file to a PDF file (there are lots of free and paid programs that install a PDF "printer", including Adobe Acrobat Professional, which you may already have). Then, you can select all the content of the PDF file, copy it and paste into Word, where you can get the character count. It's simpler than it seems

Phong Le
Phong Le  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 16:55
Vietnamese
+ ...
Good idea Feb 21, 2011

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

This might sound weird, but it works. You can print the PPT file to a PDF file (there are lots of free and paid programs that install a PDF "printer", including Adobe Acrobat Professional, which you may already have). Then, you can select all the content of the PDF file, copy it and paste into Word, where you can get the character count. It's simpler than it seems

Paste into other count software.

kathleen flanagan
kathleen flanagan
French to English
word count on PowerPoint Feb 21, 2011

My comment concerns le word count on the 2007 ppt version as compared to the 2003 version. There can be up to 50% fewer words in the 2007 !! The only way I have found to correct the problem is by saving 2007 files under 2003 and making my quotes out on the basis of the old 2003 version on my laptop or else copy/pasting the whole thing onto a Word document. A per-hour solution would work for some clients but difficult to gauge at the quote stage...

Trans-Iberia (X)
Trans-Iberia (X)

same problem Mar 24, 2011

I'm having the same problem... I have a 2008 version of powerpoint on Mac and it says there are 15000 words, whereas the agency, which says it has "the latest version of powerpoint on windows" only gets 10000. I just tried the above suggested method of creating a pdf and then pasting into word, and it gives me something in-between 12000!... I have no idea what to charge. We just might come to an agreement to charge something in the middle.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word/character count in Power Point

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »