Maria Folque
Maria Folque  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:36
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 3, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I'm translating a 27 page Word document where the table of contents was made automatically.

That is, each title has beem entered automatically in the table of contents as it was written.

When I translate the table of contents looses the page number of each title and "Erro marcador não definido" : ( Error marker non defined ).appears instead of the page number.

Does anyone know what exactly I have to do so that I can keep the
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I'm translating a 27 page Word document where the table of contents was made automatically.

That is, each title has beem entered automatically in the table of contents as it was written.

When I translate the table of contents looses the page number of each title and "Erro marcador não definido" : ( Error marker non defined ).appears instead of the page number.

Does anyone know what exactly I have to do so that I can keep the document in order ?

I'm working on Word 2003 .

Thank you in advance for your help.
Maria
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:36
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Don't touch the TOC Aug 3, 2009

This "problem" (which rather is a feature) frequently reoccurs, your question has been asked and answered before. A quick forum search:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/136889-help:_trados_will_not_work_with_table_of_contents_word_2007.html
<
... See more
This "problem" (which rather is a feature) frequently reoccurs, your question has been asked and answered before. A quick forum search:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/136889-help:_trados_will_not_work_with_table_of_contents_word_2007.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/108091-translating_word_table_of_contents_in_trados.html

Best regards,
Erik
Collapse

Maria Folque
Maria Folque  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Erik Aug 3, 2009

Dear Erik,

This is to thank you for your quick, efficient answer. Have a nice day!

maria

Deolindo
Deolindo  Identity Verified
Angola
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Am I missing something? May 9, 2011

efreitag wrote:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/108091-translating_word_table_of_contents_in_trados.html

Best regards,
Erik

From what I read, to have your TOC in your target language you just right-click the TOC that is still in the source language and choose "update field". Your computer will then perform a miracle and the TOC will appear in your target language, apparently picking headings from the translated document.

I have a 100 plus page translated document and when I try to right-click the TOC still in the source language and press on "update field" I get this message: "To add or remove items in the table of contents, select text in your document, and then do one of the following:
*Apply a heading style from the Styles gallery on the Home tab.
*Change the outline level of the text, using the Add Text menu in the Table of Contents group of the References tab."
When I click on OK I am told "no table of contents entries found". Where is the one-click "miracle automatic" feature I am reading about here? Thanks a million in advance for any help!

Patrice Da Lage
Patrice Da Lage
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Unresolved ToC Problem Dec 27, 2015

Although Erik says this ToC difficulty has been long debated and explained here, I cannot find any solution to this problem. Just like Deolindo mentioned it a long while ago (2011) I have exactly the same message and I cannot update the ToC fields in the target file. I have to do it manually.

Any explanation?

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:36
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What explanation? Dec 27, 2015

And what explanation do you need? Previous posts explain the things, IMHO. In a nutshell: DO NOT touch the table of contents. Translate the text, including the headings that the ToC is assembled from. Then in the target document update or recreate the ToC.

[Edited at 2015-12-27 18:02 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automatic table of contents on Word

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »