Powerpoint: Export/Count notes, reset spellchecker language?
Thread poster: pk75
pk75
pk75
Local time: 02:40
English to German
Sep 22, 2010

Hi,

several issues:

not only have I been forced to translate a truly horrible Powerpoint presentation, but it also was so large and badly made that it crashed the Powerpoint XP on opening.

So I got myself an Office 2007, installed only the Powerpoint from that package (803 MB!), found that I totally despised the useless new Office layout and translated the presentation anyway.

I was asked to only translate the notes, however. (Hop
... See more
Hi,

several issues:

not only have I been forced to translate a truly horrible Powerpoint presentation, but it also was so large and badly made that it crashed the Powerpoint XP on opening.

So I got myself an Office 2007, installed only the Powerpoint from that package (803 MB!), found that I totally despised the useless new Office layout and translated the presentation anyway.

I was asked to only translate the notes, however. (Hopefully they're called notes in the English version of Powerpoint; I only have the German one. I mean these little text boxes you can put underneath the actual charts, and they're not displayed when actually presenting the presentation.)

These notes contained the complete speech that the presenter will be giving while presenting the presentation on an upcoming trade fair.

I failed to find a way to change the spellchecking language for the notes from the original English to German, however.

That is: I failed to find a way to change it for all the note boxes at once. It was possible to change the language for one box at a time, and by putting a language button in the top left corner, it at least went a little more quickly... but is there really no way of changing the spellchecking language for a complete presentation? I've been putting up with a lot of crap from Microsoft in my time but can they really be THAT IGNORANT? I hope it's just me...

Which brings up the next issue - I now would like to write the bill. For that I need the word count of the notes. Is there a way of exporting only the notes to a text file of some kind?
Collapse

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
Copy/paste the content of each note one by one Sep 22, 2010

Hi,
The only way I know is to copy/paste the content of every "note" (in the French version they called that "commentaire", "comment", which is closer to the real use of this) in a Word doc.

The other solution would have been be to use WordFast, for instance.

I know that PowerPoint is not easy to handle for a translator, even if I love it.
Catherine

pk75
pk75
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Found a macro in the powerpoint faq Sep 22, 2010

Looky here:

http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00481.htm

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powerpoint: Export/Count notes, reset spellchecker language?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »