Petr Masner
Petr Masner  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 21:17
Czech to German
+ ...
Dec 2, 2011

Hello,

Trados 2007 disables smart cut and paste in Word 2007. Whenever I translate with the workbench in Word 2007, smart cut and paste becomes disabled.
First this was happening only on my notebook, but now this problem spread also to my main computer. Couldn't find any solution so far.

Does anyone know?

Have a great weekend

Petr

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Paste Special Dec 2, 2011

Hi Petr,

Do you mean "Paste Special"? Is enabled under my OS (Vista Pro 32-bit French)?

Bernard

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Other things happening too Dec 2, 2011

like hidden text enabled, bold/italic font, Workbench crashes, VBasic errors, -{}-, etc...

I've encountered such issues with Workbench/Word since 2000. I have never found any satisfactory answer and always thought the time to invest in researching the issue(s) wasn't worth the trouble (Yahoo groups, Trados KB, etc.)

Typically, these behaviours are due to the Word document formatting layout, modified Trados8 template or normal template, or even Windows Update fixes.
... See more
like hidden text enabled, bold/italic font, Workbench crashes, VBasic errors, -{}-, etc...

I've encountered such issues with Workbench/Word since 2000. I have never found any satisfactory answer and always thought the time to invest in researching the issue(s) wasn't worth the trouble (Yahoo groups, Trados KB, etc.)

Typically, these behaviours are due to the Word document formatting layout, modified Trados8 template or normal template, or even Windows Update fixes.
It is never a Trados bug per se, at least this is what I have always read.
I came to the conclusion that if we always received source texts laid out and formatted as per Word's book (tags, styles, fields...), Trados/Word would not be that annoying. But in real life, it is never the case.

My advice: live with it, or switch to TagEditor or upgrade to more recent CAT tools, mostly tabular but free from these annoying shortcomings.

Philippe
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Save as Word 2003 Dec 5, 2011

I don't know if this will help you, as my setup is different altogether.
I am still basically using XP and Word 2003.

I find that Trados 2007 will not clean up documents created or saved as as Word 2007 (which I can work with otherwise, after I downloaded the compatibility module or whatever it is called).

I save the cleaned target document as Word 2007 before returning it to the client.

Alternatively, take the plunge and go for Trados Studio or anoth
... See more
I don't know if this will help you, as my setup is different altogether.
I am still basically using XP and Word 2003.

I find that Trados 2007 will not clean up documents created or saved as as Word 2007 (which I can work with otherwise, after I downloaded the compatibility module or whatever it is called).

I save the cleaned target document as Word 2007 before returning it to the client.

Alternatively, take the plunge and go for Trados Studio or another CAT that is 'tuned' to work with the later versions of Word.

I was terrified of Studio 2009, but after a brief introduction course and a lot of experiments, it is now my preferred CAT. I have to admit that I have not yet updated to 2011, which should be able to produce bilingual files comparable to the uncleaned files of the Workbench. Studio 2009 does not do this, but some of the other compatibility issues are easier to solve than they were when it first came out.
Collapse

Petr Masner
Petr Masner  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Czech to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hopefully found it Dec 6, 2011

Maybe I can answer myself. It seems to be again about the good old Trados templates. I erased the Trados8 (macros enabled with exclamation point) template in the Word startup folder, and replaced it with the simple Word Trados8 template (Word 97-2003). This seems to work.

God bless

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 disables smart cut and paste in Word 2007

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »