Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:13
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Aug 8, 2012

This happened to me on Monday. I had translated a short Word docx-file in WFP. At the end of it was an image of a diagram, and at the left side and below were text-boxes for the axes (Wavelength [nm] was one). WFP had translated them both.
I sent the file and (after a delay, because my mail was delivered into their Spam-folder) they contacted me by phone and mail stating the text-boxes were still in the source language. I opened my attachment from the sent message and saw the boxes were bo
... See more
This happened to me on Monday. I had translated a short Word docx-file in WFP. At the end of it was an image of a diagram, and at the left side and below were text-boxes for the axes (Wavelength [nm] was one). WFP had translated them both.
I sent the file and (after a delay, because my mail was delivered into their Spam-folder) they contacted me by phone and mail stating the text-boxes were still in the source language. I opened my attachment from the sent message and saw the boxes were both in the target language. Later they send me the file back stating again that the boxes were not translated. I opened their attachment and it was alright, called even my wife to see the evidence. Then I sent them a screenshot and later still a pdf of the file. I didn't hear from them since.

Do you think it is anyhow technically possible that a text-box will revert to source language when sent as a Word-file?
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:13
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
It happened to me too, once Aug 8, 2012

It happened to me, too, once. I had translated the text in the boxes, but when the client received my file the boxes appeared untranslated.
In the end, I sent the PM a separate translation of the text in the boxes and the she was able to work whatever magic was necessary to insert it into my translation.
I'm no technician so I've no idea why that happened - possibly something to do with different versions of Word - but all was well in the end.

Ana Malovrh
Ana Malovrh  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 01:13
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Something similar Aug 8, 2012

Something similar happened to me, but it was only in the header and the footer of the document.

I suspect newer versions of Word enable some kind of automatic features.

In my case, the date was changed automatically. And the title in the header was always the same no matter how hard I tried to change it. The trick was that I had to delete the whole header or footer respectively and manually insert the new text. Consequently this self-updating feature was gone too. (No
... See more
Something similar happened to me, but it was only in the header and the footer of the document.

I suspect newer versions of Word enable some kind of automatic features.

In my case, the date was changed automatically. And the title in the header was always the same no matter how hard I tried to change it. The trick was that I had to delete the whole header or footer respectively and manually insert the new text. Consequently this self-updating feature was gone too. (No problem for my client though, they were annoyed by it anyway.)
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:13
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Not with text boxes, but... Aug 8, 2012

I've noticed similar oddities with WFP from time to time. For example, I have copy source on no match set up, and sometimes find that even though I have subsequently entered a translation, WFP has has exported the originally copied source text.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 01:13
English to German
There are more things between heaven and earth ... Aug 8, 2012

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Do you think it is anyhow technically possible that a text-box will revert to source language when sent as a Word-file?

Yes and no. I think both versions of the text are in that file, but you see only one while the client sees the other one. Maybe this has something to do with the tracing/displaying of changes.

Just delete the text snippet in question and retype it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spooky

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »