Outlook 2003 - can I get confirmation of confirmation?
Thread poster: Fiona Thomson
Fiona Thomson
Fiona Thomson  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:59
German to English
+ ...
May 17, 2013

I am using Outlook 2003. When I send an important mail, I set it up for confirmation that the e-mail has been read. However, I send so many in a day that I lose track of which confirmations I have received and this caused me a problem yesterday with a mail that somehow went astray and was not received. Is there any way of setting up an alert, so that if I don't receive confirmation within two or three hours, say, Outlook sends me a little nudge to remind me to phone the client to confirm they ha... See more
I am using Outlook 2003. When I send an important mail, I set it up for confirmation that the e-mail has been read. However, I send so many in a day that I lose track of which confirmations I have received and this caused me a problem yesterday with a mail that somehow went astray and was not received. Is there any way of setting up an alert, so that if I don't receive confirmation within two or three hours, say, Outlook sends me a little nudge to remind me to phone the client to confirm they have received the mail? Thank you!Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
It's time to prioritise! May 17, 2013

How can you possibly send that many really important e-mails? Maybe it's time to prioritise. Well of course your e-mails are important, people don't send professional e-mails just to say it's raining, we have Facebook for that. But so important as to need confirmations and alerts as to non-confirmation?

You know some people set up their Outlook so that they never confirm anything even when the sender requests it... so perhaps you need a different system rather than perfecting your
... See more
How can you possibly send that many really important e-mails? Maybe it's time to prioritise. Well of course your e-mails are important, people don't send professional e-mails just to say it's raining, we have Facebook for that. But so important as to need confirmations and alerts as to non-confirmation?

You know some people set up their Outlook so that they never confirm anything even when the sender requests it... so perhaps you need a different system rather than perfecting your system.

I have set up Outlook with folders for each client. The e-mails requiring attention stay in my inbox until I've dealt with them, then I just drag them into the relevant folder. So my inbox is like a to-do list, and my folders are my done list.
If my answer contains an important question needing an answer before a certain time (in time for me to be able to stick to the deadline, for example), then I wait for the answer before archiving. Outlook puts a little arrow icon to show that I have answered it, so the mail just sits there as a reminder that I'm waiting.

For things I know I'm likely to forget I also set up reminders on Outlook. It jogs my memory 15 mins beforehand (time to spruce up if it's an appointment with a real person, time for a quick last look before delivering an important file). You have to delete the reminders afterwards otherwise it slows Outlook down.

You can have folders per client or per stage (eg orders placed, questions asked, invoicing...), or even client folders and stage sub-folders, or the opposite: whatever works best for you. I have a merry medley (or inextricable tangle) but it seems to work for me (plagiarising Julian here)
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Hm, difficult May 17, 2013

Fiona Thomson wrote:

Outlook sends me a little nudge to remind me to phone the client to confirm they have received the mail?

I don' t believe that it is possible to discern automatically whether or not an incoming mail is really a confirmation of a certain mail.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
PS May 17, 2013

If I can't see all the mails in my inbox on the one page, I know I need to start archiving, or at least get some things out of the way, like a spate of little translations for example.

Fiona Thomson
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answer May 17, 2013

On some days I send 20 jobs to 20 different clients. On occasion I lose track of whether they have all confirmed receipt. Rolf, thank you for your helpful answer, the idea that it is not possible to differentiate makes sense.

[Edited at 2013-05-17 11:28 GMT]

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try followupthen May 17, 2013

Follouwpthen is probably the thing you need, it's free and very easy to use.

You can find it at www.followupthen.com

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Confidentiality? May 18, 2013

Alex Lago wrote:

Anybody who wants to have anonymous persons read his or her e-mails is hereby invited to send CCs to me. TIA.

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Terms of Service May 19, 2013

Rolf Keller wrote:

Alex Lago wrote:

Anybody who wants to have anonymous persons read his or her e-mails is hereby invited to send CCs to me. TIA.

Well if you aren't going to trust their terms of service (which I'm guessing you have read) why trust anyone else’s (say your email provider or Google for all those people who use Gmail).

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
There are different levels of enterprises May 20, 2013

Alex Lago wrote:

Well if you aren't going to trust their terms of service (which I'm guessing you have read) why trust anyone else’s (say your email provider or Google for all those people who use Gmail).

Reputation of an well-etabslished enterprise? A website with stated postal address, legal form etc? A service that I pay for?

Or just pictures of 3 anonymous youngsters who earn money by doing I-don't-what but seem to need my mails for that?

Fiona Thomson
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To-do list May 20, 2013

Thanks for the idea, but if I were going to bother with followupthen, I would be as well just writing the whole thing out manually, which is what I have started doing; the idea would be to have something automatic that would remind me.

[Edited at 2013-05-21 07:18 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outlook 2003 - can I get confirmation of confirmation?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »