How to get word count of two different languages in a single MS-Word(Off. 2010) file?
Thread poster: M Pradeep Kumar
M Pradeep Kumar
M Pradeep Kumar  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:11
English to Telugu
+ ...
Oct 18, 2015

Hi,

I have a transcription-cum-translation assignment. Some of the transcripts have two languages, that is English and Telugu. In those transcripts, I just have to translate only the Telugu part and prepare invoice for them separately.

Is there a way in which I can get word counts for the two languages separately?

Regards,

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:41
Member (2008)
Italian to English
This is so easy Oct 18, 2015

Pradeep Kumar wrote:

Hi,

I have a transcription-cum-translation assignment. Some of the transcripts have two languages, that is English and Telugu. In those transcripts, I just have to translate only the Telugu part and prepare invoice for them separately.

Is there a way in which I can get word counts for the two languages separately?

Regards,

Just create 2 copies of the Word file, delete the parts in one or the other language, and do a word count of each. Keep the 2 files for future reference, in case of disputes.

Easy !

[Edited at 2015-10-18 17:28 GMT]

M Pradeep Kumar
India
English to Telugu
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but... Oct 18, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Just create 2 copies of the Word file, delete the parts in one or the other language, and do a word count of each. Keep the 2 files for future reference, in case of disputes.

Easy !

[Edited at 2015-10-18 17:28 GMT]

Sir, thanks for the reply.

But, imagine selecting specific rows in a transcript that's in tabular form and which runs into tens of pages and of course, hundreds of rows.

I feel your approach is quite clever but still tedious.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:41
English to Thai
+ ...
Asian word counts Oct 19, 2015

Pradeep Kumar wrote:

But, imagine selecting specific rows in a transcript that's in tabular form and which runs into tens of pages and of course, hundreds of rows.

I feel your approach is quite clever but still tedious.

For Asian and non-Asian words, MS Word shows exact different word counts.
For other language sets, you use Find and Replace function. Here you can select individual languages to find/replace once at a time in Find - Format - Advanced find - Language option.

Soonthon L.

M Pradeep Kumar
India
English to Telugu
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works, thank you ! Oct 19, 2015

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

For Asian and non-Asian words, MS Word shows exact different word counts.
For other language sets, you use Find and Replace function. Here you can select individual languages to find/replace once at a time in Find - Format - Advanced find - Language option.

Soonthon L.

Hi,

Word didn't show up word counts differently for telugu, my language, but your other suggestion worked.

The "Find - Format - Advanced find - Language option" did the trick perfectly.

Using the above option, I found Telugu throughout the document and replaced it with nothing. Viola, I was left only with English.

Thank you so much !!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get word count of two different languages in a single MS-Word(Off. 2010) file?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »