NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 08:43
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Aug 23, 2006

Hi everyone,

It's me again, with another simple question I assure you, I've searched the help database and can't seem to find my answer.

I'm translating an xl file, using Win XP and Office XP.

The file is simply three columns: A, source; B, target. I've put in a few translator notes under C.

I'm typing mostly in the B column. My problem is, the moment I begin typing in Column
... See more
Hi everyone,

It's me again, with another simple question I assure you, I've searched the help database and can't seem to find my answer.

I'm translating an xl file, using Win XP and Office XP.

The file is simply three columns: A, source; B, target. I've put in a few translator notes under C.

I'm typing mostly in the B column. My problem is, the moment I begin typing in Column B, my screen shifts over so that Column A is no longer visible, and I have to keep toggling back and forth using the arrow keys (and losing my train of thought!) How can I make the screen show me the 3 columns I need at all times, with no shifting?

Many thanks!
Nancy
Collapse

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:43
German to French
+ ...
Zoom factor ? Aug 23, 2006

Hi Nancy,
Have your tried adjusting the zoom factor of your spreadsheet in order to display all three columns ? You have to make sure that the full width of the third column is visible.
Another suggestion: try to set the cells to shift automatically to a new line (thus conserving the fixed width) if the text is too long. I think it may work.
If you only need to see column A at all times, separate the window at the corresponding width and fix it. Sorry if it's not very clear, I
... See more
Hi Nancy,
Have your tried adjusting the zoom factor of your spreadsheet in order to display all three columns ? You have to make sure that the full width of the third column is visible.
Another suggestion: try to set the cells to shift automatically to a new line (thus conserving the fixed width) if the text is too long. I think it may work.
If you only need to see column A at all times, separate the window at the corresponding width and fix it. Sorry if it's not very clear, I use a french version, it talks about "volets" and I don't know the corresponding english term.
HTH
Marie-Céline
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:43
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Freeze Panes Aug 23, 2006

To lock the column A in view, regardless of the other columns scrolling, you simply need to do the following:

1. Select column A (clicking on the column heading)
2. Select the option "Freeze panes", in the Windows menu

To unlock, in any moment, click again the "Freeze panes" options.

You can "freeze" one or more rows, or one or more columns, or a combination of both.
To lock columns and rows, the cursor must be
... See more
To lock the column A in view, regardless of the other columns scrolling, you simply need to do the following:

1. Select column A (clicking on the column heading)
2. Select the option "Freeze panes", in the Windows menu

To unlock, in any moment, click again the "Freeze panes" options.

You can "freeze" one or more rows, or one or more columns, or a combination of both.
To lock columns and rows, the cursor must be placed in the cell where the rows and columns to freeze meet.

Alternatively, reduce the column width, to fit your 3 columns on screen, and resize them wider, if needed, only after your have completed your editing.

You should be able to fit easily 3 columns and resort to the locking feature only if you have to edit many more columns while still keeping A in view all the time.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2006-08-23 18:19]
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Grazie, GF ! Aug 23, 2006

Many thanks GF for clearing up this whole "freeze/unfreeze panes" for me.

Whew! I can get this job done today, then

Nancy

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Marie-Céline Aug 23, 2006

I haven't tried the zoom solution just yet as freezing the A column seems to be doing the trick.

Thanks for your input, it may help someone else another time.

Nancy

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:43
German to French
+ ...
freezing panes Aug 23, 2006

Hi Nancy,
Freezing the panes was exactly what I had in mind, but I didn't know how to express it, especially because I don't use GF's method to do it - this one is much easier to explain and I've learned something today!

BR
Marie-Céline

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:43
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
sample Aug 24, 2006

Hi Nancy, from reading you it seems you have the same idea I had some years ago with an Excel file too. Gianfranco's tip is useful. I had a similar problem with that in 1998.

If you are interested about how it works, please feel free to send me an e-mail and I'll reply to you with the attached Excel file.

If not, then have a good day

[Edited at 2006-08-24 04:03]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to "pin" an excel sheet?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »