How can I place a line THROUGH text in Word to show it is crossed out?
Thread poster: Nicole Johnson
Nicole Johnson
Nicole Johnson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:44
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 29, 2007

Can anyone tell me how to cancel out a portion of text in Word which shows a line through the text (not under it)? I know this can be done, because I did it the other day by mistake by hitting the CTRL key plus another, but now that I need to use it I can't figure out which one it was!

Thanks in advance.

Kathi Stock
Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:44
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Font menu Nov 29, 2007

Highlight the text that needs to be crossed out. Select "Fonts" in the menu (top of your screen). A menu opens and under "Effects" select the option "Strikethrough".

That should do the trick.

Kathi

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Track changes Nov 29, 2007

While Kathi's solution works fine, consider the standard method for editing texts using " Track changes". That way all the changes you made are clearly visible, and can be accepted/deleted by a single click of the mouse.
Deleted parts are either shown as red crossed-out text or appear on the margin in little boxes.
Attila

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Ctrl+comma Nov 29, 2007

Nicole Johnson wrote:
I know this can be done, because I did it the other day by mistake by hitting the CTRL key plus another, but now that I need to use it I can't figure out which one it was!

Ctrl+comma might *hide* certain pieces of text, but it doesn't remove it. It removes it from your view, but if you open the file on another computer, it may be visible again.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Toolbar button Nov 29, 2007

I found I was using this one so much, I added it (under Tools > Customize) a s toolbar on my standard formatting menu.

If you use it a lot, you might want to consider creating your own keyboard shortcut for it.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:44
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes, add icon to your toolbar Nov 29, 2007

Tony M wrote:

I found I was using this one so much, I added it (under Tools > Customize) a s toolbar on my standard formatting menu.

If you use it a lot, you might want to consider creating your own keyboard shortcut for it.

That's it. There's an icon that looks like ABC horizontally crossed through that you can add to your toolbar. Click on "customize" I think, or perhaps it's in "options", can't remember, but it works.
Regards,
Jenny.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Font Nov 29, 2007

Look under Font and you will find "strikethrough" and "double strikethrough". Highlight the text then select whichever you want and it's done.

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:44
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
CTRL+D Nov 30, 2007

Pressing CTRL+D opens the same fonts window in which you will have access to effects and strikethrough and double strikethrough.

If you use this a lot, you might want to add it to your toolbars (right-click on the toolbar area, click on customize, in the commands tab, select all commands and then in the right hand pane, find strikethrough).

JeckleingHyde
JeckleingHyde
United States
Kinda Oct 27, 2015

Rahi Moosavi wrote:

Pressing CTRL+D opens the same fonts window in which you will have access to effects and strikethrough and double strikethrough.

If you use this a lot, you might want to add it to your toolbars (right-click on the toolbar area, click on customize, in the commands tab, select all commands and then in the right hand pane, find strikethrough).

but i have a windows 7 my crtl+d adds a bookmark anyone know it for my kinda computer

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What version of Office / Word are you using? Oct 27, 2015

JeckleingHyde wrote:

but i have a windows 7 my crtl+d adds a bookmark anyone know it for my kinda computer

It shouldn't be anything to do with which version of Windows you have, but rather, which version of Office / Word you are using?

If the keyboard shortcut doesn't work (and it's easy enough to re-assign that later if you wish to), then you should be able to find 'Font' under the 'Format' menu — at least, that's how it used to work on old Word, before they brought out all these new-fangled ribbons and things I don't understand!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nooooooooo, Tony... you fell for it. Oct 28, 2015

Tony M wrote:
JeckleingHyde wrote:

"Jeckle-ing Hyde" is clearly a troll, mate. Ctrl+D is the browser's shortcut for adding a bookmark.

I wonder how many unique people make up the 124492 views that this thread got.

[Edited at 2015-10-28 08:48 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I place a line THROUGH text in Word to show it is crossed out?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »