Learning Portuguese on line. Help needed!
Thread poster: International Translation Agency Ltd // (X)
International Translation Agency Ltd // (X)
International Translation Agency Ltd // (X)
Local time: 16:54
English to French
+ ...
Feb 11, 2002

I need to learn the Portuguese language. Does anyone know of a course on line (Internet) of Portuguese as a foreign language ?

Thanking you in advance for your help.

R. Titouah

LFRodrigue (X)
LFRodrigue (X)
English to Italian
+ ...
Portuguese On Line Feb 11, 2002

You can visite www.parlo.com

If I\'m not wrong they also offer German, French, Italian, Spanish and French.

Good Luck,

Luciana Rodrigues

Rome

Cécile Trotin (X)
Cécile Trotin (X)
English to French
+ ...
Visit http://www.languages-on-the-web.com/links/link-portuguese.htm Feb 11, 2002

If you want to find a Web site helping you learn Portuguese, you can visit this Web site (http://www.languages-on-the-web.com/links/link-portuguese.htm). There are plenty of links for Portuguese as well as for many other languages.

m04b0601
m04b0601
Danish to Portuguese
+ ...
try this link collection ! May 15, 2002

http://www.portugues.mct.pt/didactico.html#did2ppe

good luck !

Mijo Schyllert
Mijo Schyllert  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
+ ...
Outdated links and please help with online Brazilian Portuguese Nov 15, 2008

Dear colleagues,

I know that this forum is really old, but it was the only one I found when searching through Proz.com.
First of all, the www.parlo.com website seems to have focused on the other lan
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I know that this forum is really old, but it was the only one I found when searching through Proz.com.
First of all, the www.parlo.com website seems to have focused on the other languages, there is no sign of Portuguese, the http://www.portugues.mct.pt/didactico.html#did2ppe does not exist anymore according to my computer,
and http://www.languages-on-the-web.com/links/link-portuguese.htm is probably really still useful for those who are already a bit on the way into Portuguese, with plenty of links to online dictionaries, etc.
I have my own question though and I am not sure where to post it, so I'll do it here and just hope someone will pick it up:
I am going to Brazil and I will spend quite some time there, and I want to prepare myself to be able to at least say stupid things that will make people laugh. I live in the country in Spain and I have no access to any language schools around here so my question is - is there anything I could do online or order that you would recommend? I mean a course package or online course or a combination of the two? When you Google it, a million courses for Brazilian Portuguese appears - I would appreciate some guidance!! I speak fluent Spanish, Swedish and English and a bit of Catalan.
I would really appreciate if you would have any suggestions as to what companies offering online and/or other training you would recommend (or not).

Best regards,

Mijo
Collapse

Adriana de Albuquerque Maranhão
Adriana de Albuquerque Maranhão  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:54
Portuguese to English
+ ...
A list of a variety of Brazilian Sites to Mijo May 19, 2009

Hola Mijo,
Hay muchos sites brasileños.
Musica:
www.mpbfm.com.br
Hay online radio y el sitio es muy interesante y completo.
www.personare.com.br
Un sitio que habla de bien estar, astrologi
... See more
Hola Mijo,
Hay muchos sites brasileños.
Musica:
www.mpbfm.com.br
Hay online radio y el sitio es muy interesante y completo.
www.personare.com.br
Un sitio que habla de bien estar, astrologia, medicinas alternativas.
www.globo.com.br
www.terra.com.br
www.uol.com.br
Estos tres son sitios stupendos!
Si quieres mas sugerências, puedes decir.
Hasta pronto,
Adrias
Collapse

Carla Guerreiro
Carla Guerreiro  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to Portuguese
+ ...
You can learn it right here, on Proz! May 20, 2009

Check this out:

http://www.proz.com/translator_training/portuguese_language_course-820.html

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
That's European Portuguese May 20, 2009

Absolutely nothing against it, but that's European Portuguese. The author is:
http://www.proz.com/profile/97474

Hence it's a good option for those looking for PT-PT, but not for PT-BR.

Carla Guerreiro
France
Member (2006)
French to Portuguese
+ ...
It depends on what R. Titouan wants to learn... May 20, 2009

... because he didn't say if he wants to learn Brazilian or European Portuguese...

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Absolutely nothing against it, but that's European Portuguese. The author is:
http://www.proz.com/profile/97474

Hence it's a good option for those looking for PT-PT, but not for PT-BR.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Of course, two variants May 20, 2009

Right, Carla.

But Miss Schyllert here wants PT-BR. I think people should be aware that learning the other variant won't help them much.

On top of all differences, the worst of it is "tuning your ear" to one variant and getting the other. Bear in mind that it's a foreign language to them anyway.

A former workmate of mine, a true "carioca", once went to Portugal to visit his relatives. He told me that an elderly uncle - not fully aware of the situation - appr
... See more
Right, Carla.

But Miss Schyllert here wants PT-BR. I think people should be aware that learning the other variant won't help them much.

On top of all differences, the worst of it is "tuning your ear" to one variant and getting the other. Bear in mind that it's a foreign language to them anyway.

A former workmate of mine, a true "carioca", once went to Portugal to visit his relatives. He told me that an elderly uncle - not fully aware of the situation - approached him, and asked:
- U s'nhoire é sh'p'nhol?
(O senhor é espanhol? = Are you Spanish?)
Collapse

Carla Guerreiro
France
Member (2006)
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Yup! May 20, 2009

And, normally, brazilian portuguese is easier for many foreigners.

As for the story you told, I find it weird, because brazilian soap operas are very popular in Portugal and portuguese understand brazilian portuguese. Besides, there are many brazilians living in Portugal.

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Right, Carla.

A former workmate of mine, a true "carioca", once went to Portugal to visit his relatives. He told me that an elderly uncle - not fully aware of the situation - approached him, and asked:
- U s'nhoire é sh'p'nhol?
(O senhor é espanhol? = Are you Spanish?)

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Learning a new variant May 20, 2009

Carla Guerreiro wrote:
And, normally, brazilian portuguese is easier for many foreigners.

As for the story you told, I find it weird, because brazilian soap operas are very popular in Portugal and portuguese understand brazilian portuguese. Besides, there are many brazilians living in Portugal.

You've got a point there. No Brazilian moving to Portugal would have to study the language, neither any Portuguese moving into Brazil. They'd just let the other variant naturally "seep in". They might wind up with a mid-variant (or not) - receding accent included - that is neither one nor the other.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Learning Portuguese on line. Help needed!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »