Orsolya Bugar-Buday  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 07:04
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Feb 20, 2013

Dear colleagues,

I joined ProZ.com a few days ago.

In a translation job posted today the outsourcer requires a "proof of identification". What does that mean?

Thank you in advance for the reply,
Orsolya

Sergio Altuna (X)
Sergio Altuna (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
ID Feb 20, 2013

I guess they are just asking for some document that shows it´s really you behind the screen.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:04
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Scanned copy of identity document Feb 20, 2013

Send a scanned copy of your identity card, if you have one, or an EU driving licence, or anything else suitable for the purpose.
Not many agencies ask for this, but I don't see any harm in supplying it when asked.

Orsolya Bugar-Buday
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is it any safe? Feb 20, 2013

Thank you colleages. Do you think it's safe? I'm a bit worried about identity theft and all that.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
I don't recommend sending any personal document Feb 20, 2013

Jack Doughty wrote:

Send a scanned copy of your identity card, if you have one, or an EU driving licence, or anything else suitable for the purpose.
Not many agencies ask for this, but I don't see any harm in supplying it when asked.

Sorry Jack, but I don't agree. Sending such identification isn't a good idea in today's world. Especially to translation agencies one doesn't even know.

Orsolya Bugar-Buday
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Feb 20, 2013

writeaway wrote:

Jack Doughty wrote:

Sorry Jack, but I don't agree. Sending such identification isn't a good idea in today's world. Especially to translation agencies one doesn't even know.

Thank you, that was my main concern.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Am I right... Feb 20, 2013

...in presuming that it is a Spanish company asking for proof of identity?

It is normal practice to accompany virtually anything with a personal ID number in Spain, and often with a photocopy of the document. They find it difficult to accept that other nations do not have this document.

I too would be hesitant to hand over this information at an initial stage, but on the other hand, try to understand where the company is coming from!

I would suggest that yo
... See more
...in presuming that it is a Spanish company asking for proof of identity?

It is normal practice to accompany virtually anything with a personal ID number in Spain, and often with a photocopy of the document. They find it difficult to accept that other nations do not have this document.

I too would be hesitant to hand over this information at an initial stage, but on the other hand, try to understand where the company is coming from!

I would suggest that you might say you are very happy to provide this information at a later stage in negotiations, stating clearly that the reason for this reluctance to do so earlier is the question of identity theft. Quite a reasonable comment I would think, and if an agency can't understand that, then they are not the agency for you!
Collapse

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Degree certificate Feb 20, 2013

Why don't you send them your degree certificate as proof of ID... They don't need ID with a photo.

Orsolya Bugar-Buday
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
dear colleagues... Feb 20, 2013

Once again thank you for all the replies.

No, it wasn't a Spanish agency. I think I will offer them to send a copy of my membership card of the Hungarian Association of Translators and Interpreters, that should be fine. And if it is not, well, at least we both gave it a try.

All the best to you!

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 08:04
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Verified member Feb 20, 2013

Hi Orsolya,

You might want to draw the attention of the agency to the fact that your identity has been verified by Proz.com. In your profile, you will see "Account type: Freelancer, Verified member".

As they are using this site to find freelancers, this should be enough for them (for now). You can always send something extra once you actually get the job.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Never Feb 20, 2013

Never supply your personal ID documents until the outsourcer has sent you the same information (incorporation documents and ID documents of company officials).

I have been in business 16 years and nobody has ever needed a copy of my personal ID as part of normal business.

If the customer says that they cannot consider you for jobs until you send this information, thank them good bye. Better safe than sorry.

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Would probably not do it Feb 20, 2013

... unless the entity asking for it were above all suspicion, which I am confident isn't the case (because reasonable people don't ask for such things). There are ample opportunities these days to do nefarious things with other people's documents, and why run the risk if you don't have to? If someone wants to give you a job, there are dozens of better ways of checking you're legitimate (and a good translator, which one should hope is at least as important to them).

Your Hungarian Tr
... See more
... unless the entity asking for it were above all suspicion, which I am confident isn't the case (because reasonable people don't ask for such things). There are ample opportunities these days to do nefarious things with other people's documents, and why run the risk if you don't have to? If someone wants to give you a job, there are dozens of better ways of checking you're legitimate (and a good translator, which one should hope is at least as important to them).

Your Hungarian Translators' Association membership document is a nice idea though (as long as there aren't too many personal data on it) if you think there is a remote chance of them being legit, in which case that document should be more interesting to them than your ID card anyway.

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
I have been in business 16 years and nobody has ever needed a copy of my personal ID as part of normal business.

Same here (although only 15 years in business ).
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How to disidentify your ID card Feb 20, 2013

Orsolya Bugar-Buday wrote:
In a translation job posted today the outsourcer requires a "proof of identification".

Well, it could mean anything, but if it was me, I'd assume that they want a scanned copy of my passport, ID document or ID card. It is unwise to send a scanned copy of such a document without blurring out some information. I think that if your photo and your name is visible and unblurred, it should satisfy most clients' request for "proof of identification".

I use XnView to blur out parts of something that I don't want the recipient to see:
http://www.xnview.com/

Here is a sample ID card, as it would have been scanned as new:

And this is what it would look like after applying a blur filter to all sensitive parts:

To blur stuff, do the following in XnView:

1. First, select the text that you want to blur, using your mouse (if you don't select anything before applying the filter, your entire image will be blurred):

2. Then, go to Filter > Effects:

3. Then, in the Effects dialog, select Spread and set the spread grade to "10", and click OK:

Orsolya Bugar-Buday
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you but no, thank you Mar 12, 2013

Dear colleagues, thank you for all replies.

I decided not to apply for the job, it just didn't seem right.

All the best to you,
Orsolya

crosschecking Mar 12, 2013

It is only to confirm you are right. Crosscheck whatever you said with your documents.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outsourcer requiring proof of identification

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »