Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Improvements to \"outsourcer\'s section\"
Thread poster: eurotransl (X)
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:06
French to English
Jul 3, 2001

Yes, it all boils down to common sense, doesn\'t it. Would you work for an unknown quantity? Would you employ an unknown quantity?

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:06
English to German
Jul 5, 2001

I can only support some of the \"demands\" made in previous posts, such as the required fields when posting jobs on ProZ and the creation of a profile by agencies.

I have just looked at the job posting form for the first time and it\'s no wonder that details such as e-mail address or phone numbers don\'t get entered. There\'s no separate field for this kind of information - not even an optional one!

This really needs to change and I hope that the necessa
... See more
I can only support some of the \"demands\" made in previous posts, such as the required fields when posting jobs on ProZ and the creation of a profile by agencies.

I have just looked at the job posting form for the first time and it\'s no wonder that details such as e-mail address or phone numbers don\'t get entered. There\'s no separate field for this kind of information - not even an optional one!

This really needs to change and I hope that the necessary amendments will soon be made to the job posting form.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-07-05 05:37 ]
Collapse

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 01:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 5, 2001

If, what you are saying is correct, it means we ourselves are exposing us at the risk.I have not seen the job posting page, but I do not think Henry would have allowed such a thing.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 16:06
SITE FOUNDER
Jul 5, 2001

I often get emails complaining that an outsourcer has not included an email address., or a phone number. (THe only option, then, is to enter a bid!)

In most cases, the outsourcer has chosen to limit the contact method to bidding.

Why? ProZ.com gives outsourcers a \"control center\" from which to manage bids. For those who wish to use this tool, including an email address has the detrimental effect of dividing bids into two groups--those made through the
... See more
I often get emails complaining that an outsourcer has not included an email address., or a phone number. (THe only option, then, is to enter a bid!)

In most cases, the outsourcer has chosen to limit the contact method to bidding.

Why? ProZ.com gives outsourcers a \"control center\" from which to manage bids. For those who wish to use this tool, including an email address has the detrimental effect of dividing bids into two groups--those made through the site, and those made directly to the outsourcers\' inbox. INcluding a phone number divides the bids into three groups, and so on...

This makes project management more difficult. So required fields are not necessarily the answer.

That said, some changes will be made to the outsourcer form in the near future.
Collapse

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 5, 2001

So, Henry it means equal justice to bidders and job posters.But the bidders face greater risk. Those who post jobs should be prepared to handle huge offers. If you see jobs in other disciplines ( other than translations), they all give their e- mail addresses and full proper address, and they handle much larger volumes of e- mails and CVS and applications.They only discourage attachements ( due to viriuses). I think you should put your foot down and insist on the full details.I know it is hard ... See more
So, Henry it means equal justice to bidders and job posters.But the bidders face greater risk. Those who post jobs should be prepared to handle huge offers. If you see jobs in other disciplines ( other than translations), they all give their e- mail addresses and full proper address, and they handle much larger volumes of e- mails and CVS and applications.They only discourage attachements ( due to viriuses). I think you should put your foot down and insist on the full details.I know it is hard to satisfy eveyone. All the best.

telef

Collapse

eurotransl (X)
eurotransl (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jul 5, 2001

I agree with Henry and telef to some degree.

Henry is right about the \"channel dilemma\" - OK, then don\'t require an e-mail address, but the outsourcer should still provide all other relevant information: address, www address, phone, etc.

Since outsourcers may be located all over the world, I find it unlikely that they would receive tons of phone calls (long distance!!!!!). But providing all this information would establish some degree of \"goodwill\".
... See more
I agree with Henry and telef to some degree.

Henry is right about the \"channel dilemma\" - OK, then don\'t require an e-mail address, but the outsourcer should still provide all other relevant information: address, www address, phone, etc.

Since outsourcers may be located all over the world, I find it unlikely that they would receive tons of phone calls (long distance!!!!!). But providing all this information would establish some degree of \"goodwill\".

Telef is right in saying that other companies have to deal with much greater volumes. I believe that if you are an agency and you need to outsource a project, then receiving phone calls (very unlikely) or bids via two separate e-mail channels (ProZ bids and regular e-mail) should be the least of their worries. It would show, at least, that they don\'t want to shroud themselves in secrecy and that they are right there - in the open, with nothing to hide.

Again, even this \"channel dilemma\" could be solved if ProZ required outsourcers to establish a profile first. Once they have a profile page with all the relevant information in place, they could simply post jobs under their user name and take bids (they would not even have to reveal their actual e-mail address, etc.).
Collapse

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 6, 2001

I would like to add something here. henry is . of course, right in protecting the job posetrs. But the significant point is that the bidder cannot bid without being a proz member and likewise, I think it would be charitable to have job posters also to do some kind of registration with proz, merely for the purpose of due identification. But the bidders are always at the receiving end. Or is it that beggars are not choosers? Excuse me, for this expression. It just came to my mind.

ivw (X)
ivw (X)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jul 6, 2001

[quote]

On 2001-07-02 02:18, gianfranco wrote:

2. Allow translators to rate the agencies in terms of reliability, payment, etc...

3. Control that the job postings contain a minimum set of essential fields properly filled...

I am all for point 2 and 3.

The others are hardly viable solutions, I\'m afraid.

And big thanks to everyone for their suggestions, sharing of their experience, rants, etc. An incredibly useful thread, indeed!

Julia Gal
Julia Gal  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:06
French to English
+ ...
Jul 7, 2001

Whilst I understand Henry\'s point about dividing the bidding, I still feel it would be reassuring to know that the client had provided all the necessary contact details to ProZ, even if these were not visible during bidding!

By making these options compulsory on the form, but giving the option of not displaying them, wouldn\'t everybody be happy?

Dave Simons
Dave Simons
Local time: 21:06
French to English
Aug 2, 2001

Werner, I was just about to post something after seeing a recent flood of \"translators wanted\" ads in Fr->Eng. None of these ads gives the slightest detail about the advertiser. Then I read your article.

What can I say - you took the words right out of my mouth!

Here\'s a typical reply I sent to one of these ads:

\"Like several others lately, you have posted to the Proz job page without properly introducing yourself.

I\'d be pleas
... See more
Werner, I was just about to post something after seeing a recent flood of \"translators wanted\" ads in Fr->Eng. None of these ads gives the slightest detail about the advertiser. Then I read your article.

What can I say - you took the words right out of my mouth!

Here\'s a typical reply I sent to one of these ads:

\"Like several others lately, you have posted to the Proz job page without properly introducing yourself.

I\'d be pleased to send you my details for your database but it would be really nice to know a little bit about your project first.\"

A similar ad was posted, giving a reply-to address @hotmail. I wrote to opine that an anonymous posting coming from a hotmail address asking for a lot of personal information couldn\'t be considered very serious. The mail bounced because the hotmail box was full. If ever I needed support for the opinion I\'d just penned, the mailer daemon provided it instantly!

Stop press:

To be fair to the person who posted the first of those two job offers, she did reply to my e-mail and give me a full account of her project; as for the second, well, obviously I\'ll never know.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-08-13 14:13 ]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Improvements to \"outsourcer\'s section\"

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »