Scam attempt by new proz profile ("Esther Muller")
Thread poster: Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:58
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Mar 22, 2023

I was contacted by a newly founded proz profile called "Esther Muller", allegedly situated in Dublin and with an IP in the first email (via proz mail) confirming the location, although generated by a mobile connection type. In the second email the sender already bore a different name ("Esther Pamela") and used a "hotmail" address. The document to be translated was of high volume and general nature (title: "Restructuring of Agriculture (Case Study)" and could have been easily translated with Deep... See more
I was contacted by a newly founded proz profile called "Esther Muller", allegedly situated in Dublin and with an IP in the first email (via proz mail) confirming the location, although generated by a mobile connection type. In the second email the sender already bore a different name ("Esther Pamela") and used a "hotmail" address. The document to be translated was of high volume and general nature (title: "Restructuring of Agriculture (Case Study)" and could have been easily translated with DeepL (at least as a draft). When googling for the title, proz already seems to have warned for scammers using that document (https://proz.papyrs.com/@knowledgebase/Archived-Scam-Alerts-2022). Sender disappeared when I politely requested to click my proz profile to check the IP, as part of my risk management. I should have lured the sender with advance payment and by check, to go for sure that the sender in fact is a scammer, but I have a bad feeling that I'm right anyway.Collapse

expressisverbis
Dalia Nour

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Same here Apr 3, 2023

She also contacted me, including name change and hotmail address. She told me that "your rate is really cheap compared to that of other translators". Well, I don't think so, mainly because I'm usually told that it's a "bit" too high.

I also checked her profile and it seemed to be legit. However, when she offered a 50% prepayment via check, I decided that this must be a scam. Even more so because SEPA money transfers are also available from Dublin.

Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis
Dalia Nour

Josep Vives (X)
Josep Vives (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for letting us know! Apr 3, 2023

I have to admit it, I have been scammed before. Your warning is appreciated!

expressisverbis
Dalia Nour

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Esther Muller aka Pamela Adriana Apr 3, 2023

Another profile created by the same scammer was 'Pamela Adriana', presumably also from Dublin.

The site staff has taken appropriate action and removed both profiles.

expressisverbis
Bernhard Islinger
Dalia Nour
Matthias Brombach
Thayenga

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam attempt by new proz profile ("Esther Muller")

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »