Piero Intonti
Piero Intonti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:38
Italian to English
+ ...
Sep 26, 2014

Hello everyone.
I have to translate a catalogue from EN to IT. This is quite simple because there are a lot numbers and overall numbers.
Anyway I have a lot of problems when I finish to translate with Trados 2014 the document in question as the new PDF document I obtain it's literally unpresentable with an horrific page layout.
Can anyone suggest some tricks to overcome this inconvenience?
Consider that it's a PDF document and I have already tried to transform it into a
... See more
Hello everyone.
I have to translate a catalogue from EN to IT. This is quite simple because there are a lot numbers and overall numbers.
Anyway I have a lot of problems when I finish to translate with Trados 2014 the document in question as the new PDF document I obtain it's literally unpresentable with an horrific page layout.
Can anyone suggest some tricks to overcome this inconvenience?
Consider that it's a PDF document and I have already tried to transform it into a word document but with worse outcomes.
Thanks a lot in advance for any reply.
Piero
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends on the tools at hand Sep 26, 2014

This may not be feasible if the document is really large, but what I normally do is copy all the text into word and add the images. You can readjust the images and layout to more closely reflect the original or whatever goal you're trying to reach.

If it's a catalog, they're probably working with something like Indesign. Do you know if your client can take your translation and simply replace the text in the final copy?

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Normal Sep 26, 2014

Piero Intonti wrote:

Of course it is. Why expect otherwise?
On every page there are dozens if not hundreds of technical layout problems that can't be solved by running a PDF through some dumb CAT tool.

Piero Intonti
Piero Intonti  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't know Sep 29, 2014

Hello! Triston.
Thanks for the reply. I don't know my client's IT equipment but I think he is a normal client who want to buy some products and want to read a catalogue at best.
Piero

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

editing and graphics

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »