Jyotsna Bhatia
Jyotsna Bhatia
India
Local time: 07:36
Member (2011)
Italian to English
+ ...
Aug 24, 2018

While working on a subtitling project, the client needs the following inputs from us,

1) what is the input method? (operating system-default IME [Input Method Editor], web browser plugin, 3rd party software)

2) how is spellcheck normally performed?

3) are special fonts required or can we rely on standard OS-provided fonts?

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Puzzling questions Aug 26, 2018

Your questions seem to be quite puzzling, which could explain why nobody dared to attempt answering so far.

1. Input method

Why should they bother? Normally I use a QWERTY keyboard. The brand was Leadership, but as it wore off, last week I replaced it with a new one from Dell.

Do they mean the software used for data input? When I get 'just the video and nothing else' to subtitle, my choice is Express Scribe to play the video, and the Windows Notepad to ente
... See more
Your questions seem to be quite puzzling, which could explain why nobody dared to attempt answering so far.

1. Input method

Why should they bother? Normally I use a QWERTY keyboard. The brand was Leadership, but as it wore off, last week I replaced it with a new one from Dell.

Do they mean the software used for data input? When I get 'just the video and nothing else' to subtitle, my choice is Express Scribe to play the video, and the Windows Notepad to enter the subtitles text. Later I'll convert it into something that can be used by a subtitle editor for time-spotting, like Subtitle Workshop, or Subtitle Edit. Otherwise, if the client just wants the subtitles, no timing, I'll use MS Word to open that TXT file, and save as a DOC or DOCX.

2. Spellchecking method

I can open that TXT file with MS Word, do the spellchecking, and save it back as TXT.

Otherwise Subtitle Workshop can internally invoke Word's spellchecker (if Word is installed), and let me do it.

However I do visual spellchecking too, while time-spotting. It's in my standard workflow. I'll be re-checking the text anyway for opportunities to improve (lower) CPS wherever I can.

3. Special fonts

This depends on the target language. My language pair (EN-PT) involves Latin chars only.

This will be an issue only if you have to burn the subtitles. My favorite font for burning subtitles is Trebuchet bold. Now and then - though it is rare - a client requests Arial or Arial Black. No problem with that.

If anything is unclear here, my workflow is described for clients at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/subtitling.html

Hope this helps.
Collapse

Jyotsna Bhatia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Input method editor subtitling

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »