Learning a language in 24 hours

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Learning a language in 24 hours".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Teplocteur
Teplocteur  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:34
Da Inglese a Cinese
+ ...
Learn the world Feb 15, 2013

Learn 8760 languages in 365 days.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:34
Membro (2006)
Da Inglese a Russo
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
24 hours? Too long! Feb 15, 2013

I learned a language in 30 minutes. It’s Esperanto.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 10:34
Da Giapponese a Inglese
Sort of 24 hours but not quite Feb 15, 2013

The title is slightly misleading. The author learned about 1000 words in 22.5 hours, but those hours were spread over a 10-week period. That's hardly the impression one gets from the headline, and I can't help thinking he could have learned way more than that with 10 weeks of focused study.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Paesi Bassi
Local time: 12:34
Membro (2006)
Da Inglese a Afrikaans
+ ...
Note: Your title should summarize your main point. Feb 15, 2013

Yet he managed to memorize an entire dictionary of Lingala words in that period of time, and when he met his Pygmy friends in the Congo, he was able to put those skills to use and communicate without the help of an interpreter.

And then what happened... did they eat him?

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 10:34
Da Giapponese a Inglese
Disappointment Feb 15, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
And then what happened...

Absolutely nothing. You can read the full, rather dull article with an equally misleading headline here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/nov/09/learn-language-in-three-months

Mary Stefan
Mary Stefan  Identity Verified
Stati Uniti
Local time: 06:34
Da Italiano a Inglese
+ ...
- Feb 15, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

And then what happened... did they eat him?

Funny.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
Cina
Local time: 18:34
Da Cinese a Inglese
Joking aside... Feb 16, 2013

The spaced repetition technique used in these things does seem to be effective. I have young children, and I'm wondering what I can do to introduce this technique into their learning. I reckon there's the potential to save them quite a lot of time in school if they can learn the times tables, names and dates or French vocab more quickly.

It also mentions using the mnemonic technique, which I have never been able to master. It always feels like thinking up those little stories is harde
... See more
The spaced repetition technique used in these things does seem to be effective. I have young children, and I'm wondering what I can do to introduce this technique into their learning. I reckon there's the potential to save them quite a lot of time in school if they can learn the times tables, names and dates or French vocab more quickly.

It also mentions using the mnemonic technique, which I have never been able to master. It always feels like thinking up those little stories is harder work than just learning the fact/Chinese character. But apparently it really works for some.
Collapse

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Da Svedese a Inglese
Learn the world, teach the world? Feb 16, 2013

What for you speak?

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italia
Da Italiano a Inglese
Tony Buzan's The Memory Book Feb 16, 2013

For anyone interested in applying the techniques outlined in the article to everyday life, Tony Buzan's "The Memory Book" provides some excellent and innovative techniques along with fascinating insights into how memory techniques have been used throughout history, most notably by the Ancient Greeks and Romans. My favourite is probably the Roman Room System

[Edited at 2013-02-16 18:34 GMT]

Mark
Mark
Da Italiano a Inglese
Spaced repetition Feb 18, 2013

Hi Phil,

There's various software:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition#Software

I'm giving Mnemosyne a try (before I read this article I might add). Memorylifter helped me a lot with memorising Italian vocabulary, back in the day.

I too struggle with visual/story approaches to memorising. I think it's a personal matter, and tha
... See more
Hi Phil,

There's various software:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition#Software

I'm giving Mnemosyne a try (before I read this article I might add). Memorylifter helped me a lot with memorising Italian vocabulary, back in the day.

I too struggle with visual/story approaches to memorising. I think it's a personal matter, and that my brain doesn't work that way. But the mnemonic major system for memorising numbers works with phonetics, and that seems to agree with me.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatore(i) di questo Forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Learning a language in 24 hours

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »