Lost in AI translation: growing reliance on language apps jeopardizes some asylum applications
Thread poster: philgoddard
philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Sep 7, 2023

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/sep/07/asylum-seekers-ai-translation-apps

Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:22
Polish to English
+ ...
Thank you! Sep 7, 2023

I came to post this selfsame article.

Eva Stoppa
Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Thank you for sharing this Oct 9, 2023

Thank you very much for sharing this. I only got notified yesterday. Can I share it with my Network?

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:22
English to Turkish
Permission Oct 9, 2023

Eva Stoppa wrote:

Thank you very much for sharing this. I only got notified yesterday. Can I share it with my Network?

I'd have thought the best course of action in this case would be to ask the article's author for permission for further dissemination as she probably owns the intellectual rights to that piece. But it would appear that Mr. Goddard didn't feel the need to do so when sharing the article (or maybe did). So I guess it's okay for you to share it with your network, but then you never know... Mr. Goddard may refuse, but Ms. Bhuiyan (author) may give you the go ahead, or vice versa. It kind of makes you wish you hadn't asked for permission in the first place, doesn't it?

Eva Stoppa
Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I doubt Oct 9, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

]
never know... Mr. Goddard may refuse, but Ms. Bhuiyan (author) may give you the go ahead, or vice versa. It kind of makes you wish you hadn't asked for permission in the first place, doesn't it?

...that Ms. Bhuiyan reads here. And there was an Option to share this article with several sources, so I just did.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-10-09 11:30 GMT]

Matteo Rozzarin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lost in AI translation: growing reliance on language apps jeopardizes some asylum applications

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »