Stéphanie Denton (X)
Stéphanie Denton (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:28
French to English
+ ...
Sep 13, 2011

Hello all

I am in the process of setting my own agency up. So far, I have numerous direct cleints who have followed me from freelancing, and also numeous other agencies who are happy to still use my freelancing service (as I am still going to be translating for my own "pocket money" and to cut costs) or the agency for the languages that I do not cover myself.

Now, to what seems to be the tricky part. Ever receive an e-mail from an agency stating "We're currently biddin
... See more
Hello all

I am in the process of setting my own agency up. So far, I have numerous direct cleints who have followed me from freelancing, and also numeous other agencies who are happy to still use my freelancing service (as I am still going to be translating for my own "pocket money" and to cut costs) or the agency for the languages that I do not cover myself.

Now, to what seems to be the tricky part. Ever receive an e-mail from an agency stating "We're currently bidding for a contract..."? Where are they bidding for these contracts? If anyone has an idea, and wouldn't mind sharing (cheeky, I know), then I'd be most appreciative. I've done the old Google trick, and all signs point to ProZ and other Translator's resources, nothing for actual agencies. i know LionBridge can request that agencies bid, but the rates you are supposed to offer are freelancer rates, and I do not want to be paying my freelancers peanuts!

Thanks in advance.

Stéph
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 05:28
Chinese to English
Own contacts; government contracts Sep 13, 2011

I'm vaguely heading in that direction, and my idea at the moment is to offer more services to multinationals that I already work with. Then it's a case of doing some networking (ugh) and seeing if I can meet anyone who has a demand. The city where I live has a number of multinationals active here, and the expat community is reasonably small, so it should be possible to make the right contacts if I ask around.

Government contracts are the other obvious place to look. Sites aggregatin
... See more
I'm vaguely heading in that direction, and my idea at the moment is to offer more services to multinationals that I already work with. Then it's a case of doing some networking (ugh) and seeing if I can meet anyone who has a demand. The city where I live has a number of multinationals active here, and the expat community is reasonably small, so it should be possible to make the right contacts if I ask around.

Government contracts are the other obvious place to look. Sites aggregating available UK and European government contracts are fairly easy to find.
Collapse

Stéphanie Denton (X)
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thganks for advice... Sep 13, 2011

Phil Hand wrote:

Government contracts are the other obvious place to look. Sites aggregating available UK and European government contracts are fairly easy to find.

...however, my googling skills must be more dire than I originally thought, as when I type that it, I just get other agencies who are currently working or authorised to work on UK Gvmt contracts.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 05:28
Chinese to English
This came up for me Sep 13, 2011

http://www.tendersdirect.co.uk/Search/Categories/Category_Results.aspx?id=T117&cat=32

Stéphanie Denton (X)
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 13, 2011

Thanks! Yes, it's official, I am rubbish at googling!

Can I be cheeky and ask you to message me what you typed in? Might help me hone my skills?!

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:28
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Some keywords Sep 14, 2011

tender, contract, EU, public

You may want to explore the information available here, too, if you are thinking about participating in tenders:
http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/business/profiting-from-eu-market/benefiting-from-public-contracts/index_en.htm

kalap (X)
kalap (X)
You also have this one Sep 14, 2011

http://www.ted.europa.eu/TED/main/HomePage.do

Remind that replying to tenders always means competition, and therefore underbidding (lower than your competitors). But if you go too low, nobody will be willing to translate the texts anymore. Therefore it may be a huuuge business risk: non delivery and bad quality are contract breach.

Stéphanie Denton (X)
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Sep 14, 2011

For your advice, keywords and links.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agencies and bidding for contracts

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »