Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Switching from SDL World Server to a different system / Is XTM Cloud really that bad?
Thread poster: Stefan Leiner
Stefan Leiner
Stefan Leiner
Austria
May 25, 2021

Hello there,

I work as team leader of translation & terminology at an automotive company, we handle all translation projects with SDL WorldServer and send them out to our translation agenices. We are looking to eventually switch to a different system since working with WS is rather tedious from a project management standpoint. We had a sales demo for XTM Cloud, which in the beginning sounded rather convincing, however, after doing some research on this site it seems to be th
... See more
Hello there,

I work as team leader of translation & terminology at an automotive company, we handle all translation projects with SDL WorldServer and send them out to our translation agenices. We are looking to eventually switch to a different system since working with WS is rather tedious from a project management standpoint. We had a sales demo for XTM Cloud, which in the beginning sounded rather convincing, however, after doing some research on this site it seems to be the case that it is universally disliked by translators for all sorts of reasons.

I thought I might ask the crowd here whether there are translation management systems you prefer from a translators perspective so that I can incorporate your opinions in the evaluation process, since I don´t want to be the target of daily curses by our translators.
All kidding aside, it would be wise for the quality of our texts to have happy translators, which is why I wanted to inquire on your opinions.

Are there good alternatives to SLD WS for project managers that work for translators as well? As far as I can tell, the most important point seems to be being able to work offline with a tool of choice. Anything else?

All the best,
Stefan
Collapse

Grigori Gazarian
Adieu

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:54
English to Russian
SDL WorldServer v. XTM May 26, 2021

Translators hardly ever use translation management systems. XTM may be a good translation management system, but not a translation tool. This is sort of punishment for translator's sins. If you are a bad guy, god makes you work with XTM. I can use both SDL WorldServer and XTM, but I prefer the former because I can smoothly export source files from SDL WorldServer, translate them with my favorite CAT tool using SDL WorldServer for concordance purposes only, and then import the files as translated... See more
Translators hardly ever use translation management systems. XTM may be a good translation management system, but not a translation tool. This is sort of punishment for translator's sins. If you are a bad guy, god makes you work with XTM. I can use both SDL WorldServer and XTM, but I prefer the former because I can smoothly export source files from SDL WorldServer, translate them with my favorite CAT tool using SDL WorldServer for concordance purposes only, and then import the files as translated back into SDL WorldServer. Also, SDL WorldServer allows me to download TMs that work even better in Trados or memoQ than in SDL WorldServer itself. I can't explain that but concordance searching in Trados gives more hits than searching the same TM in SDL WorldServer. I know how to export files from such not very user-friendly tools as Logoport/XLIFF TW Editor, Passolo Translator, SDL WorldServer, Smartling, Transifex (by the way, this one could be a solution for you, but I am not absolutely sure from PM standpoint), etc. But I couldn't find a way to efficiently export/import files from/to XTM and Across. If I had to choose between SDL WorldServer and XTM, I definitely go with SDL WorldServer.

[Edited at 2021-05-26 16:09 GMT]
Collapse

Miranda Drew
Anette Hilgendag
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:54
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Stefan May 26, 2021

I’ve been working as a freelancer with a translation agency that uses both SDL and XTM, their PMs are very kind and helpful, I’ll ask them if they don’t mind being contacted by you about this matter…

P.L.F. Persio

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Stefan May 26, 2021

One of the PMs has agreed to advise you, so if interested please get in touch with me ([email protected]) and I'll give you privately her email address.

Miranda Drew
Miranda Drew  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:54
Member (2009)
Italian to English
XTM is the most horrible thing I've ever seen May 26, 2021

XTM cuts my productivity in half. It lacks most BASIC functions of CAT tools (doesn't even automatically convert numbers in text segments). It's a nighmare.

Anette Hilgendag

Dalibor Skalník
Dalibor Skalník  Identity Verified
English to Czech
XTM definitely isn't my favourite tool May 27, 2021

From time to time I do jobs in XTM. I do one now. I consider myself an experienced XTM user. It was very bad some years ago and today it is better though it's definitely is not a tool of my choice. It is bad for large translations. Propagation can be unreliable, translators cannot track a remaining detailed wordcount - only a raw number of words to be done which is not good for large projects with lots of fuzzies and repetitions.
Compared to Trados, my productivity is definitely significan
... See more
From time to time I do jobs in XTM. I do one now. I consider myself an experienced XTM user. It was very bad some years ago and today it is better though it's definitely is not a tool of my choice. It is bad for large translations. Propagation can be unreliable, translators cannot track a remaining detailed wordcount - only a raw number of words to be done which is not good for large projects with lots of fuzzies and repetitions.
Compared to Trados, my productivity is definitely significantly lower in online tools, like XTM.
Stepan put it nicely: XTM may be a good translation management system, but not a good translation tool.
Corrected the title "XTM is definitely my favourite tool". Of course it should be XTM definitely isn't my favourite tool

[Edited at 2021-05-27 13:54 GMT]
Collapse

Kaspars Melkis

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:54
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Did you omit the word "not" in the title of your post? May 27, 2021

Dalibor Skalník wrote:

Compared to Trados, my productivity is definitely significantly lower in online tools, like XTM.
Stepan put it nicely: XTM may be a good translation management system, but not a good translation tool.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Hmmm May 27, 2021

Stepan,

How do you actually find the time to translate anything between all this messing about with a gazillion different software applications????

Stepan Konev wrote:

Translators hardly ever use translation management systems. XTM may be a good translation management system, but not a translation tool. This is sort of punishment for translator's sins. If you are a bad guy, god makes you work with XTM. I can use both SDL WorldServer and XTM, but I prefer the former because I can smoothly export source files from SDL WorldServer, translate them with my favorite CAT tool using SDL WorldServer for concordance purposes only, and then import the files as translated back into SDL WorldServer. Also, SDL WorldServer allows me to download TMs that work even better in Trados or memoQ than in SDL WorldServer itself. I can't explain that but concordance searching in Trados gives more hits than searching the same TM in SDL WorldServer. I know how to export files from such not very user-friendly tools as Logoport/XLIFF TW Editor, Passolo Translator, SDL WorldServer, Smartling, Transifex (by the way, this one could be a solution for you, but I am not absolutely sure from PM standpoint), etc. But I couldn't find a way to efficiently export/import files from/to XTM and Across. If I had to choose between SDL WorldServer and XTM, I definitely go with SDL WorldServer.

[Edited at 2021-05-26 16:09 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Himmm ... May 27, 2021

Well, I don't understand most of what Stepan Konev says about that there techy WS stuff, but Stepan definitely looks like a dedicated, nice guy to me. And it's not my style, but I do admire that "20 years in love with En>Ru translations" call sign too. No, I quite like Stepan. Yes, I do. Don't you? It's like a big "Hello". Much better saying "Hello" than "Goodbye", surely?

Himmm ... what I'm wondering, me, you know, is how others actually find the time to translate anything at all a
... See more
Well, I don't understand most of what Stepan Konev says about that there techy WS stuff, but Stepan definitely looks like a dedicated, nice guy to me. And it's not my style, but I do admire that "20 years in love with En>Ru translations" call sign too. No, I quite like Stepan. Yes, I do. Don't you? It's like a big "Hello". Much better saying "Hello" than "Goodbye", surely?

Himmm ... what I'm wondering, me, you know, is how others actually find the time to translate anything at all amid all the messing about with a gazillion different posts, where they never ever help anyone, never ever say "Well done, mate", "You're the man and no mistake" or "Great" or even "Very good" or "Quite good" or "Rather good" to anyone, never ever make anyone smile, and certainly never make anyone laugh. Could it just be a daytime thing to help plan a night-time schedule of self-abuse?

Himmm ...

[Edited at 2021-05-27 12:22 GMT]
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
memsource? May 27, 2021

Stefan Leiner wrote:

Hello there,

I work as team leader of translation & terminology at an automotive company, we handle all translation projects with SDL WorldServer and send them out to our translation agenices. We are looking to eventually switch to a different system since working with WS is rather tedious from a project management standpoint. We had a sales demo for XTM Cloud, which in the beginning sounded rather convincing, however, after doing some research on this site it seems to be the case that it is universally disliked by translators for all sorts of reasons.

One of my direct clients uses memsource. It still has not all the comfortable functionalities more advanced CATs offer (i.e. Deja Vu), but I can handle their files in my CAT too, and that's all I want. And if I needed to, I could also handle the translation in memsource itself, either in their web client or in the memsource offline tool (memsource editor). Both possibilities don't need too many resources of my computer. We could test it, if you want. Just ask for my very reasonable rates

P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Stepan's great May 27, 2021

Yes, he definitely is: always ready to help, knowledgeable, charming, and Russian.

I do have a soft spot for Russian men, although – if faced with a choice of Snog/Marry/Avoid – I'd say snog as much as you like, definitely do not marry, avoid, but only if they want to marry.

(I'm joking, Stepan, and don't worry: I'm too old for you. But you're still great.)

Another marvellous colleague is our Teresa Borges: she's kindness and loveliness personifi
... See more
Yes, he definitely is: always ready to help, knowledgeable, charming, and Russian.

I do have a soft spot for Russian men, although – if faced with a choice of Snog/Marry/Avoid – I'd say snog as much as you like, definitely do not marry, avoid, but only if they want to marry.

(I'm joking, Stepan, and don't worry: I'm too old for you. But you're still great.)

Another marvellous colleague is our Teresa Borges: she's kindness and loveliness personified, plus a highly competent and intelligent lady. I always smile, when I see her name.

Sorry @Stefan Leiner for hijacking your thread.
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
Stepan Konev
expressisverbis

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Uhm May 27, 2021

That wasn't criticism. That was genuine surprise how some people find the time to figure out so much different software.

Hell, I can't even find most functions in the redesigned Microsoft Office... and that's had the new menu layout for, what, ~15 years or so?

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:54
English to Russian
Perfect client + laziness May 27, 2021

Adieu wrote:
Stepan,
How do you actually find the time to translate anything between all this messing...
Two factors: first is a good client with a good payrate that allows me to work less keeping the same earning level and giving more time to ̶s̶p̶e̶n̶d̶ waste for forums, CAT tool experiments, finding solutions, and other trifles
Second, my inbred laziness. I am very reluctant to struggle with Passolo Translator Edition that doesn't even let me export/import files. That's why I had to find a macro, modify it for my purposes, and use it to translate Passolo files in Studio. Same with most other tools. That is the way it works for me.
======
Oh no... I just proceeded with reading the other comments... You embarrass me very much Thank you folks.

[Edited at 2021-05-27 17:31 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
AnnaSCHTR

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Porzia May 27, 2021

You made my day! Please keep on smiling...

Teresa

P.L.F. Persio
Stepan Konev
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Teresa May 27, 2021

I'm glad I managed to track you down in vivo yet again, Teresa, and I'm also glad that you're in such a good mood thanks to Portia, because I'd like to take this opportunity to talk to you about the CVs and cover letters I've been sending you daily for at least the last year, and your failure to respond.

I rang the Berlaymont, you know. They said "Teresa doesn't live here any more, Teresa used to room on the second floor, sorry that she left no forwarding address, it's a mystery."<
... See more
I'm glad I managed to track you down in vivo yet again, Teresa, and I'm also glad that you're in such a good mood thanks to Portia, because I'd like to take this opportunity to talk to you about the CVs and cover letters I've been sending you daily for at least the last year, and your failure to respond.

I rang the Berlaymont, you know. They said "Teresa doesn't live here any more, Teresa used to room on the second floor, sorry that she left no forwarding address, it's a mystery."

Well, that's just not good enough, Teresa. You can run, but you can't hide. One day you're going to have to read that CV and give me a job.
Collapse

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Switching from SDL World Server to a different system / Is XTM Cloud really that bad?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »