Thread poster: Rebekah Olson
Rebekah Olson
Rebekah Olson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:31
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Mar 30, 2022

*I apologize if this is the wrong sub - I could not post in "Translation Agencies", for some reason, so I thought this was the next best thing.

I've been working with Lionbridge for around 4 years now. The last year, I keep getting my files returned to me by their Project Managers, who say something like, "we can tell you worked on our files in Trados and now they're corrupt". I don't know why this suddenly started happening as nothing on my end changed - I do work on the files usin
... See more
*I apologize if this is the wrong sub - I could not post in "Translation Agencies", for some reason, so I thought this was the next best thing.

I've been working with Lionbridge for around 4 years now. The last year, I keep getting my files returned to me by their Project Managers, who say something like, "we can tell you worked on our files in Trados and now they're corrupt". I don't know why this suddenly started happening as nothing on my end changed - I do work on the files using Trados 2015, but for years this wasn't a problem.

I love Trados and can't stand TWS, of which I tried a free trial some time ago. I loathe the idea that Lionbridge essentially requires translators to purchase a license to their proprietary software in order to work with them, but their PMs are telling me directly that they cannot use any Trados-worked-on files, that their TMs cannot be updated from Trados-worked-on files. Is this really the case? And if so, why?

Does anyone else have this issue, work with Lionbridge, or have a workaround to this issue?

Somewhat tangentially, I've noticed more and more agencies switching to this system wherein they require translators to use their software (though LB seems to be the only one requiring a paid CAT tool). Meaning, we don't get to keep our own work (using their online platform instead of actually downloading and saving anything). Is this the future of our industry?

Thank you for any help, advice, shared stories!
Collapse

Machteld Sohier

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:31
English to Russian
Workaround Mar 30, 2022

When I worked with LB PMs, I used a workaround translating their files in Trados and then exporting my translation back to their TWS. The problem is that Trados changes the structure of their files. You can't simply return a file from Trados. You need to export it into their TM and then run their file with that updated TM to populate all the segments.
However, after they started using their automatic task assignment tool, I never manage to get a job even when I have my phone or keyboard in
... See more
When I worked with LB PMs, I used a workaround translating their files in Trados and then exporting my translation back to their TWS. The problem is that Trados changes the structure of their files. You can't simply return a file from Trados. You need to export it into their TM and then run their file with that updated TM to populate all the segments.
However, after they started using their automatic task assignment tool, I never manage to get a job even when I have my phone or keyboard in hands with their portal opened.
Collapse

Adieu

Rebekah Olson
United States
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exporting into TWS? Mar 30, 2022

Hi, Stepan,

Thanks so much for writing back. (I completely agree that getting jobs on their new LCX platform is basically impossible even when logged in and basically staring right at it, no idea who is claiming these jobs faster than a blink.)

Could you explain what you mean, that you "export it back into their TWS and update their TM" - how do you do that without buying their CAT tool?

Stepan Konev
Adieu

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Steps Mar 30, 2022

1. You download an xlf file from TWS.
2. You translate it with Trados.
3. You go to Translation Workspace menu > Batch Operations > Add to TM tab, add your file(s), select the TM and languages, and click 'Add to TM'.
4. You run the Auto Translate feature to populate segments with translation.

*This procedure makes all segments appear as 100% match because you add your translated fil
... See more
1. You download an xlf file from TWS.
2. You translate it with Trados.
3. You go to Translation Workspace menu > Batch Operations > Add to TM tab, add your file(s), select the TM and languages, and click 'Add to TM'.
4. You run the Auto Translate feature to populate segments with translation.

*This procedure makes all segments appear as 100% match because you add your translated file(s) into their TM first and only then Auto Translate the file(s).

[Edited at 2022-03-30 14:01 GMT]
Collapse

Rebekah Olson
United States
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But then you still have to buy their TWS Mar 30, 2022

Right?

Mirjam Spekking

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Answered above before reading your comment... sorry Mar 30, 2022

Rebekah Olson wrote:
how do you do that without buying their CAT tool?
I don't know... Probably it was so long time ago that it was not paid yet?.. Not sure though.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Rebekah Mar 30, 2022

Rebekah Olson wrote:
But then you still have to buy their TWS. Right?

I believe the "Translation Workspace XLIFF editor" is free, but you have to ask your agency for the download link.

Stepan Konev

Rebekah Olson
United States
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Looks like you do have to pay Mar 30, 2022

Unless I'm not seeing something...

https://we.tl/t-hJnumKA73o

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
I've heard of that but never paid Mar 30, 2022

Rebekah Olson wrote:
Looks like you do have to pay. Unless I'm not seeing something...
I can't open your link because "WeTransfer decided to suspended support for Russians, blah-blah-blah", but I remember a discussion several years ago regarding their tool allegedly became a paid product. However, if I'm honest, I have never seen it required any payment from me. Probably, project managers used to somehow grant me their access right or something like that, but I can't remember me paying for TWS.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Rebekah Mar 30, 2022

Rebekah Olson wrote:
Lionbridge Website Screenshot 2022-03-30 163746
Looks like you do have to pay
Unless I'm not seeing something...

The offline XLIFF editor has always been free to download for me, even though Lionbridge charged for their products. But perhaps its because I don't work for Lionbridge directly -- I work for agencies that work for Lionbridge.

Hmm, what have we here? Five versions.

[Edited at 2022-03-30 15:28 GMT]

Rebekah Olson
United States
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Online Required for TM? Mar 30, 2022

(Thank you for inserting the screenshot; I've no idea how to do that on this platform.)

So you're using an offline version, got it. I'm assuming though that in order to update their TM, I would need the online version, i.e., the paid version?

Thank you both for being so quick and so helpful on this platform - it's not the first time I've received help from either one of you and it's always really appreciated.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Me either Mar 30, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:
I work for agencies that work for Lionbridge.
From time to time I work for such subagencies too. But I have just recalled that I managed to catch a very small job from LCX in November last year and I didn't pay anything again even though LB directly assigned a job to me through their LCX system. Can't explain that...

Rebekah Olson
United States
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TWS and GeoWorkz not the same thing Apr 5, 2022

*So sorry to take so long to get back to you both

@Samuel, I've only just seen that you linked downloads - thank you!

After downloading the TWS, the XLIFF editor asks me to use my "tenancy, username, and password" to "log in to the translation workspace" in order to access/edit the Liobridge TMs. This log-in information comes from GeoWorkz and the only way to get it, I believe, is by subscribing, i.e., paying.
[img]https://ibb.co/BzJ4gFt[/img]

The o
... See more
*So sorry to take so long to get back to you both

@Samuel, I've only just seen that you linked downloads - thank you!

After downloading the TWS, the XLIFF editor asks me to use my "tenancy, username, and password" to "log in to the translation workspace" in order to access/edit the Liobridge TMs. This log-in information comes from GeoWorkz and the only way to get it, I believe, is by subscribing, i.e., paying.
[img]https://ibb.co/BzJ4gFt[/img]

The only TM information I have been given is "TM GSK.Regulatory.Documentation.Translation, Token: 30B4-8F22-83B1-42F9-EB69-A2D9-9ED0-97A5-9367-7DE7-2AA1".

@Stepan, I have asked Lionbridge PMs and vendor management about workarounds/free licenses and they all say they have no idea how to access the TMs without paying.

Is there any other option I've not tried that remains possible? I just have such a hard time accepting that the only way to work with LB is by paying some $80 a month to do so.

Thank you both, again.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Tenancy Apr 5, 2022

Rebekah Olson wrote:

@Stepan, I have asked Lionbridge PMs and vendor management about workarounds/free licenses and they all say they have no idea how to access the TMs without paying.
Ah, bingo! Now I understand why I use it for free for years now. I received the above-mentioned credentials (tenancy, username, and password) many years ago when PMs assigned jobs by themselves. I have those details since that time. When I work for a subagency, they give me their tenancy, username, and password. When I worked for LB directly, I used mine. That is also why I can still use their QA tool Linguistic Toolbox 3.

Rebekah Olson
United States
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So no way now, then? Apr 5, 2022

Ah, darn it. So no other way nowadays then, I think?

Really just such a shame. How many linguists out there can afford to pay so much money each month just for the /chance/ of getting jobs with Lionbridge... well, enough, I guess. I don't get it though. I mean, even TransPerfect, which in my opinion is the Amazon of the translation world, doesn't require linguists pay to use their program for translation.

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with Lionbridge without TWS?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »