Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Addressing project managers formally or informally- thoughts?
Thread poster: Elisabeth Coles
expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 08:17
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Baran May 18, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

So a complete Portuguese stranger can say "Hi Sandra, thanks for your reply" on a Kudoz thread?

Yes, and I see no problem with that It's my name after all.

For instance, you're familiar with that Turkish guy called Atıl here, right? There's no way I can just call him "Atıl" on a Turkish forum thread even if I'm familiar with the guy (I have to call him "Mr. Atıl"), but if I were to address him on an English forum thread, then I could just call him "Atıl" and he probably wouldn't mind me doing that. I don't know if this makes any sense to you. But that's how it is.

Define familiar, please. No, I don't know "Mr Atil".

Please don't ever call me "Mr. Keki", the sound of it reminds me of a certain Luxembourgian character

I'm sorry Never again.

Baran Keki

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:17
German to English
Mixed May 18, 2022

My British and American PMs have always used my first name from the start which is not at all unusual.
My European (mainly German and Austrian) PMs have always started out with "Mr." (or "Dr."), but many switch almost immediately to Kevin. Some use the familiar form of address (which I always reciprocate), but some continue to employ more formal pronouns (likewise reciprocated). The PMs at one agency immediately used the familiar, but the owner always remained formal with respect to both h
... See more
My British and American PMs have always used my first name from the start which is not at all unusual.
My European (mainly German and Austrian) PMs have always started out with "Mr." (or "Dr."), but many switch almost immediately to Kevin. Some use the familiar form of address (which I always reciprocate), but some continue to employ more formal pronouns (likewise reciprocated). The PMs at one agency immediately used the familiar, but the owner always remained formal with respect to both honorific and personal pronoun.

I don't care much about niceties like that as long as the payment is on time. (As the expression goes: "Call me anything you like, but not late for dinner!)
Collapse

Joe France
Baran Keki
Philippe Etienne
Vi Pukite

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Addressing project managers formally or informally- thoughts?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »