Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:40
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 27, 2023

This morning, I found TWO identical job posts in my inbox, which yet again made my blood boil.

An international outsourcer, with offices in the States but contact person based in Southeast Asia, is looking for 'people with passion for languages' to help their IA business and 'community' (!).
This job has nothing to do with translation, and is not even aimed at language professionals, but rather at people with (the usual) 'passion for languages'. In fact, in their alluring (not
... See more
This morning, I found TWO identical job posts in my inbox, which yet again made my blood boil.

An international outsourcer, with offices in the States but contact person based in Southeast Asia, is looking for 'people with passion for languages' to help their IA business and 'community' (!).
This job has nothing to do with translation, and is not even aimed at language professionals, but rather at people with (the usual) 'passion for languages'. In fact, in their alluring (not) job description, their ideal candidates may be 'whoever you are'.
Of course, there is no 'budget' info available, but I am pretty sure it'll be petty cash.

Strangely enough, the said 'global' (of course) company has posted 732 jobs since 2021, but has so far received ONLY ONE glowing 5-star LWA entry in the last five years, which makes its LWA a five star one overall. How is that NOT suspicious?

Hopefully you'll get to read this before it's deleted for whatever reason the mods may find, in support of their pool of outsourcers, rather than the paying professionals who are keeping this platform alive.

[Edited at 2023-09-27 06:44 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Philip Lees
Giuditta Vicari
Jessica Noyes

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
USD 9/h Sep 27, 2023

Hi Barbara,

I think you are right about the low budget.
I'm 99% certain you are talking about the company that sends me offers for USD 9/hour.

Barbara Carrara
Adieu

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Bug? Sep 27, 2023

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Yesterday I received the same Kudoz comment 19 times (!), so the repeated messages may be due to a system bug.

As for the job posting you mentioned, it's from another old acquaintance...

Angie Garbarino
Barbara Carrara

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No idea Sep 27, 2023

Elena Feriani wrote:

Hi Barbara,

I think you are right about the low budget.
I'm 99% certain you are talking about the company that sends me offers for USD 9/hour.

Buongiorno, Elena.

9USD/h?! How generous of them!

Anyway, I wouldn't know, as I invariably trash all job offers posted on ProZ these days, without opening them. And when I do, it is just to check the cheek some outsourcers have, making their job offers look appealing when they are not. Which I have no doubt also applies to this specific case.
I've requested the budget info, but because I no longer receive notifications from ProZ, I doubt I'll get it. If I do, I'll share it here, unless or before this thread is removed courtesy of the site staff.
I am sure the few details I've added from their original post may help you confirm your hint.
If you read this thread, do yourself a favour: steer clear of such 'offers' from bottom- and AI-feeders.

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't think it's a bug in this case Sep 27, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:
Yesterday I received the same Kudoz comment 19 times (!), so the repeated messages may be due to a system bug.

I doubt it, as the two jobs were published under two different nos. and different titles, apart from the synonymical choice of 'assessor' vs 'rater'.
The two job descriptions, however, were identical.

Re. the unmentionable outsourcer, have you noticed their LWA detail?

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
From a different outsourcer. Note the job description Sep 27, 2023

I've just received a new job notification, from another outsourcer, this time based in India.
The job description is scant, and potential applicants would need to register to access this surely unmissable opportunity (!).

One detail caught my eye, though.
This agency is looking for data annotation experts. What does it even mean?

I have a feeling outsourcers are starting to disguise AI-enhancing jobs (AI is listed among the 'services' provided by thi
... See more
I've just received a new job notification, from another outsourcer, this time based in India.
The job description is scant, and potential applicants would need to register to access this surely unmissable opportunity (!).

I have a feeling outsourcers are starting to disguise AI-enhancing jobs (AI is listed among the 'services' provided by this outsourcer, BTW), with term choices that may sound appealing (!), when in fact they are not, only to reveal the real aim of the job after one has registered.

Am I reading too much into this? Or have I been binge-watching too many episodes of Black Mirror, you think?
Collapse

expressisverbis
Philip Lees

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:40
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Barbara Sep 27, 2023

It looks like they missed the target and chose the wrong platform! Other platforms that I don't think I can name here are full of data annotation experts with hourly prices ranging from $10 to $100...

Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
Philip Lees

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
Confirmed Sep 27, 2023

Barbara Carrara wrote

I am sure the few details I've added from their original post may help you confirm your hint.

It's the same agency. They acquired the AI department of a global translation agency a couple of years ago. I got an email from the older agency asking me to apply to the new agency if I was interested in AI tasks. But I can't remember if I have applied then or later through Proz. Anyway, I'm getting offers for different jobs and all are appalling.

[Edited at 2023-09-27 10:59 GMT]

Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maria Teresa Sep 27, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

It looks like they missed the target and chose the wrong platform! Other platforms that I don't think I can name here are full of data annotation experts with hourly prices ranging from $10 to $100...

Hahaha. I'd like to know who are the lucky 'experts' who can get 100$/h (any dollar? Pick your favourite?).

Still unsure what a 'data annotation expert' job entails. Can someone enlighten me?

expressisverbis

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
What is data annotation? Sep 27, 2023

“Data annotation is integral to the process of training a machine learning (ML) or computer vision model (CV). Datasets often include many thousands of images, videos, or both, and before an algorithmic-based model can be trained, these images or videos need to be labeled and annotated accurately.
Creating training datasets is a widely used process across dozens of sectors, from healthcare to manufacturing, to smart cities and national defense projects.
(…)
In every use c
... See more
“Data annotation is integral to the process of training a machine learning (ML) or computer vision model (CV). Datasets often include many thousands of images, videos, or both, and before an algorithmic-based model can be trained, these images or videos need to be labeled and annotated accurately.
Creating training datasets is a widely used process across dozens of sectors, from healthcare to manufacturing, to smart cities and national defense projects.
(…)
In every use case, data labeling and annotation are designed to ensure images and videos are labeled according to the project outcome, goals, objectives, and what the training model needs to learn before it can be put into production.”

https://encord.com/blog/data-annotation-guide/
Collapse

expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara
Philip Lees

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I got the same offer twice and Sep 27, 2023

Barbara Carrara wrote:

I have a feeling outsourcers are starting to disguise AI-enhancing jobs (AI is listed among the 'services' provided by this outsourcer, BTW), with term choices that may sound appealing (!), when in fact they are not, only to reveal the real aim of the job after one has registered.

Am I reading too much into this? Or have I been binge-watching too many episodes of Black Mirror, you think?

I asked that same question myself... their emails went straight to the bin.

Barbara Carrara

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
Data annotation Sep 27, 2023

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Still unsure what a 'data annotation expert' job entails. Can someone enlighten me?

To be a data annotation expert in the translation field, you probably just need to understand the requests, basic grammar and know 2 languages.

I did some jobs that involved annotation for a European company last year, and I had to label words or part of sentences according to the scope of the task.

One request was: Label words in the main sentence that are ambiguous and need to be "disambiguated" in order to be translated into Italian, and label the words in the context sentences that help you translate these words correctly.

Example:
context sentence: "Did you see your sisters today?"
main sentence: "I saw them yesterday"

In the example above, I would label "saw + them" as "ambiguous" and "sisters" as "disambiguating", since "sisters" helps provide the correct Italian translation of the main sentence ("le ho viste" vs "li ho visti").

The annotated data is probably used to train MT engines to use clues in the previous sentences in order to translate any given sentence, but the agency did not specify the reason for the annotation.

My client paid a very decent rate of around 1 euro per sentence depending on the task. The most difficult thing was understanding the requests, as sometimes they can be complicated and consist of multiple steps.

Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maria Teresa (cont.d) Sep 27, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

(…)
In every use case, data labeling and annotation are designed to ensure images and videos are labeled according to the project outcome, goals, objectives, and what the training model needs to learn before it can be put into production.”

https://encord.com/blog/data-annotation-guide/

Thanks for helping out, Teresa.

This confirms I was on the right track. And I want nought to do with the above.
When in doubt, delete.
Which is what I invariably do these days with job posts on this platform, as I am still all for

no-ai-icon-08

Jennifer Levey
ibz
Yaotl Altan
expressisverbis

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 05:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Proz API abuse? Sep 27, 2023

I'm not sure whether this is what's lurking behind the issues raised here, but I'll mention it anyway...

This thread reminds me of a recent thread here:
https://www2.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/363637-regarding_proz_rest_api_freelancer_match_connection.html
where someone from India was
... See more
I'm not sure whether this is what's lurking behind the issues raised here, but I'll mention it anyway...

This thread reminds me of a recent thread here:
https://www2.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/363637-regarding_proz_rest_api_freelancer_match_connection.html
where someone from India was complaining about problems with the results obtained from the "freelancer_match" API, and also asking for access to additional data including "email and rate information".

When I saw that thread, I checked my profile and discovered that my data was exposed to the API (and I don't recall ever having agreed to it). I reset it to 'Exclude' or 'Don't allow' for everything except regular search engines (Google, Bing, etc) - and have received much less spam from Proz since then.

On reading the present thread, I returned to my profile and discovered that the 'reject' settings I'd set just a few weeks ago had been turned back to 'allow'.

For those of us who have forgotten about this 'Proz-authorised directory-scraping' API, the published details are here: https://www.proz.com/api?phpv_redirected=1
and you can opt out of allowing your data to be shared through the API here:
https://www2.proz.com/consent-settings
then click on "Control where your profile is published" in the "Profile data" box.
Or at least, that's the theory - there seems to be no guarantee that your opt-out settings will 'stick'.
HTH
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Zea_Mays
Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Grazie, Elena Sep 27, 2023

Elena Feriani wrote:
I did some jobs that involved annotation for a European company last year, and I had to label words or part of sentences according to the scope of the task.
(...)
The annotated data is probably used to train MT engines to use clues in the previous sentences in order to translate any given sentence, but the agency did not specify the reason for the annotation.
(...)
My client paid a very decent rate of around 1 euro per sentence depending on the task. The most difficult thing was understanding the requests, as sometimes they can be complicated and consist of multiple steps.

Thanks, Elena, for sharing your experience. Glad to hear that you got a decent amount ouf of it. Hope it covered the time you had to spend on the task.

It wouldn't be something I would agree to, though, as I have no desire to help outsourcers 'train MT engines' or AI.

Edited to fix quotation tags

[Edited at 2023-09-27 14:23 GMT]

Jennifer Levey
Elena Feriani
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two identical job posts

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »