China
Local time: 14:40
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
extraction of words Mar 29, 2013

三天完成二十万,不错。

Forget about extraction of chemicals.

Now here is a link, you can see for yourself if you can figure out a way to extract the unique phrases from this file, with a view, of course, to be able to rebuild the file use the extracted words or their translations.

You can use any tool at your disposal of course.

The 200k file was the first one of a series of huge files I translated 2 years ago, all formatted exactl
... See more
三天完成二十万,不错。

Now here is a link, you can see for yourself if you can figure out a way to extract the unique phrases from this file, with a view, of course, to be able to rebuild the file use the extracted words or their translations.

You can use any tool at your disposal of course.

The 200k file was the first one of a series of huge files I translated 2 years ago, all formatted exactly like this.

http://www.circ.gov.cn/portals/0/attachments/zhengcefagui/2008/bjf25-2.xls

ysun wrote:

Phil Hand wrote:

至于两万个字三天完成。。。

Alan Wang 是三天完成 “a 200 k file of Chinese characters”。如果我的理解没错的话,那是二十万中文字,而不是二十万个文件。
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:40
English to Chinese
+ ...
Forget about 三天完成二十万 Mar 29, 2013

Alan Wang wrote:

三天完成二十万,不错。

Forget about 三天完成二十万。翻这种东西也算是翻译? 用 find/replace 的功能就能轻而易举地完成,还用得着 figure out a way to extract the unique phrases from this file?算你运气好,遇到了一个重复率极高的文件和中文一字不识的PM。我10年前就翻译过类似文件,都是 MSDS phrases 和复杂有机化合物名称。重复率也很高但没有这么简单。当然价格也不会是 $0.006/字。顺便说一句,三天挣1200美元,对你来说也许就像是中了乐透奖,但对欧美的翻译而言,算不了什么新鲜事!

我只对 extraction of chemicals 感兴趣。我已在前面针对你的意见逐点给了答复。现在你对我的答复到底是同意还是不同意,总得给我个交待吧?如果你觉得这个讨论对你而言是太难了,就说一声。别忘了,当初是你说的要“拖出来溜溜”。那么到底谁是驴谁是马,总得有个结论吧?

Alan Wang
Alan Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
说多没意思。 Mar 29, 2013

即便是用find/replace来做,你还是要先翻译。然后是一次一次地做。这要做到那年那月?苦工?

提取后,翻译好,重建文件。才是自动化的技术活。做好了有成就感。

关于这个化学专利的翻译,不想说了。大家都可以看到。说多没意思。

ysun wrote:

Alan Wang wrote:

三天完成二十万,不错。

Forget about 三天完成二十万。翻这种东西也算是翻译? 用 find/replace 的功能就能轻而易举地完成,还用得着 figure out a way to extract the unique phrases from this file?算你运气好,遇到了一个重复率极高的文件和中文一字不识的PM。我10年前就翻译过类似文件,都是 MSDS phrases 和复杂有机化合物名称。重复率也很高但没有这么简单。当然价格也不会是 $0.006/字。顺便说一句,三天挣1200美元,对你来说也许就像是中了乐透奖,但对欧美的翻译而言,算不了什么新鲜事!

我只对 extraction of chemicals 感兴趣。我已在前面针对你的意见逐点给了答复。现在你对我的答复到底是同意还是不同意,总得给我个交待吧?如果你觉得这个讨论对你而言是太难了,就说一声。别忘了,当初是你说的要“拖出来溜溜”。那么到底谁是驴谁是马,总得有个结论吧?

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
挂免战牌了? Mar 29, 2013

Alan Wang wrote:

苦工?为 $0.01/word 的“恩施”而整天忙忙碌碌的人才叫做苦工。

关于这个化学专利的翻译不想说了?那你前面照的相岂不是白照了?希望你以后轻易不要用激将法。否则把人激起来之后,别人可不会轻易放过你。你连开水泡茶叶如此通俗形象的比喻都不理解,再要想理解什么液膜分离提取法那就更甭提了。我不知你这个 test 是否通过,但光凭你这两句话的翻译,就足可以判你 fail。你最好接受其他同仁的忠告,去干点你力所能及的活吧!

此外,以后请不要试译一失败就把试译稿在此公开。虽然国外的客户对你鞭长莫及,无法通过法律追究你的责任,但这里面起码还有个道德问题。

Alan Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
如你所愿 Mar 29, 2013

好吧,既然你这么不依不饶,晚上我再来评论一下你的大作。

ysun wrote:

Alan Wang wrote:

苦工?为 $0.01/word 的“恩施”而整天忙忙碌碌的人才叫做苦工。

关于这个化学专利的翻译不想说了?那你前面照的相岂不是白照了?希望你以后轻易不要用激将法。否则把人激起来之后,别人可不会轻易放过你。你连开水泡茶叶如此通俗形象的比喻都不理解,再要想理解什么液膜分离提取法那就更甭提了。我不知你这个 test 是否通过,但光凭你这两句话的翻译,就足可以判你 fail。你最好接受其他同仁的忠告,去干点你力所能及的活吧!

此外,以后请不要试译一失败就把试译稿在此公开。虽然国外的客户对你鞭长莫及,无法通过法律追究你的责任,但这里面起码还有个道德问题。

Alan Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
认错 Mar 29, 2013

ysun wrote:

前面我冒昧指出了你以上译文中的错误,现应你的要求提供我的译文如下:

老孙:
刚才仔细想想,觉得你说的是正确的。这几段文字内容太少了,难以理解这个过程。正如nigerous 说的【专业文章的汉译英,更需要以专业理论知识为基础来理解把握文章的内容。】

不过如果是整篇专利文件,内容多,仔细推敲研究的话,还是可能搞懂的。

我那么自信,是因为这几段文字没有丝毫改动。下面一段有一个风格问题还被审稿者标注一下。所以我以为,这几段肯定没问题了。

在问我价格的时候,我在对方给其他译员均价的基础上加了一倍,要了0.20,好像就是要阻止他派稿。其实我也知道这钱不好赚,所以要价高。派不派稿随你!:D

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
欣赏你的勇气 Mar 29, 2013

Alan Wang wrote:

认错

老孙:
刚才仔细想想,觉得你说的是正确的。这几段文字内容太少了,难以理解这个过程。正如nigerous 说的【专业文章的汉译英,更需要以专业理论知识为基础来理解把握文章的内容。】

不过如果是整篇专利文件,内容多,仔细推敲研究的话,还是可能搞懂的。

我那么自信,是因为这几段文字没有丝毫改动。下面一段有一个风格问题还被审稿者标注一下。所以我以为,这几段肯定没问题了。

在问我价格的时候,我在对方给其他译员均价的基础上加了一倍,要了0.20,好像就是要阻止他派稿。其实我也知道这钱不好赚,所以要价高。派不派稿随你!:D

我很欣赏你认错的勇气。虚心才能使人进步。孔子曰:“物满则覆”。其实在此切磋问题,如果谁发现自己错了就勇于承认,丝毫也不掉价。如果为了自己的面子而死撑到底,那才掉价呢!

翻译这种专利,确实得具有一定的专业理论知识基础,还得具有搜索参考资料的能力。光靠 Google Translate 是远远不够的。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
液膜分离法各步骤的顺序 Mar 29, 2013

Alan:

昨天 Steve 提供了一个与此专利有关的链接,也许你根本就忽略了。

http://www.med126.com/pharm/2010/20101223123010_315673.shtml

其中的主权项指出:
液膜分离提取博落回中生物碱的方法,其特征在于包括以下步骤:
(1)乳状液的制备:按膜溶剂食用油:表面活性剂Span 80或Span 80与助表面活性剂的混合物:磷酸脂载体的体积比=(31~45)∶(3~9)∶(2~10)进行混合,然后在混合物中按1∶1~4∶1体积比加入浓度为0.1~0.7mol/L的HCl溶液或稀硫酸溶液,在8000转/分~10000转/分的转速下搅拌1-3min,即制得稳定的W/O型乳状液;
(2)生物碱的分离提取:将pH=4的博落回盐酸提取液或硫酸提取液与乳状液按照乳水体积比为(50∶5~50∶20)加入提取器中,在200转/分~300转/分的低速搅拌提取5-15min;
(3)破乳:转入分液漏斗中静置分层,分出乳液,水浴加热破乳后分出油层,所得水相即为博落回中总生物碱的溶液。

所以 Steve 说:The demulsification and separation of the oil layer are subsequent steps that come after the actual chemical extraction step of the operation.

因此,当他表示同意我意见时,并非是无原则地随便说说的,而是一个 informed decision。他不是搞化工的,尚能注意研究有关参考资料。这种严格的治学精神是值得我们学习的。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
不愿信口开河 Mar 29, 2013

Thanks, Yueyin.

I always like to be truthful and try to be factual. If I couldn't do that perhaps due to site rules, I'd rather keep my mouth shut.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
科学态度 Mar 29, 2013

wherestip wrote:

不愿信口开河

Steve,

我也不愿信口开河,在此参加讨论一般都是经过一番调查研究、有一定把握后才发言的。

这篇关于液膜分离技术的简介,有助于理解该专利技术:
http://wenku.baidu.com/view/3af71f5e3b3567ec102d8ac5.html

其中就回答了 Alan “提取到哪里去了”的问题。即如第6页示意图所示,从乳液体系的外相透过液膜提取到内相。该过程就是在提取器内进行的。随后的步骤就是澄清分离、破乳分层。

顺便提一下,液膜技术是美籍华人黎念之博士发明的。

https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/黎念之

http://sourcedb.cas.cn/sourcedb_ad_cas/zw2/ysxx/wjysmd/200906/t20090624_1808866.html

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Professionalism Mar 30, 2013

ysun wrote:

wherestip wrote:

不愿信口开河

Steve,

我也不愿信口开河,在此参加讨论一般都是经过一番调查研究、有一定把握后才发言的。

这篇关于液膜分离技术的简介,有助于理解该专利技术:
http://wenku.baidu.com/view/3af71f5e3b3567ec102d8ac5.html

其中就回答了 Alan “提取到哪里去了”的问题。即如第6页示意图所示,从乳液体系的外相透过液膜提取到内相。该过程就是在提取器内进行的。随后的步骤就是澄清分离、破乳分层。

顺便提一下,液膜技术是美籍华人黎念之博士发明的。

https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/黎念之

http://sourcedb.cas.cn/sourcedb_ad_cas/zw2/ysxx/wjysmd/200906/t20090624_1808866.html

Yueyin,

I didn't get around to clicking on these links you provided until now. I am very impressed with the thoroughness of your research, and most of all, your professionalism.

I want to say that that is one of the reasons I've consistently supported you on many issues in this forum over the years.

The forum indeed has come a long way. I for one could see it and feel it from the greatly improved professionalism of everyone in many recent discussions.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
理应如此 Mar 30, 2013

wherestip wrote:

The forum indeed has come a long way. I for one could see it and feel it from the greatly improved professionalism of everyone in many recent discussions.

Steve,

其实你也一样,大家都有目共睹。我们在此参加讨论,发言时就得对其他讨论者、旁观者负责,不能信口开河。做翻译时,就得对客户负责。我在平时翻译资料时,也是这样做的。哪怕只是翻译专利中的摘要、权利要求书(Claims)区区几百字,我也会去浏览一下整篇专利。遇到疑难问题时,就要查阅许多参考资料。所花的时间,不是用每个字多少钱就能衡量的。具有化工专业背景的人,很容易理解“液膜分离提取”的概念。我在此引用那篇资料,主要是为了供对方参考。

关于黎念之博士的简介,我只是偶然发现,看后颇有感慨,所以一并贴出。当他发明液膜理论、正在为阿波罗登月计划作贡献时,中国的无数教授、科学家却被关在“牛棚”里,甚至被迫害致死。中国不珍惜自己培养的杰出人才,但一旦外籍华裔科学家在国外成名,国内的大学、科研机构就争相聘他们为客座教授、外籍院士,为自己贴金。其实人家在国外受的教育、在国外作出的成就,关他们什么事?

衷心感谢你多年来的支持!

[Edited at 2013-03-31 14:06 GMT]

Alan Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
With the benefit Apr 1, 2013

wherestip wrote:
不愿信口开河

Alright, you are right about he’s right this time, I give you that. But that does not mean you never give the impression that you two have been babysitting each other for like eternity and perhaps a little too much..
And, come to think of it, ysun isn’t all right about all the issues he raised, is he? He also claims that I made mistakes on not translating the plant name. This I don’t agree about. [汉语里念叨一遍博落回,英语里就一定也要念叨一次吗?汉语里可能有它的用词必要,但英语里不再重复,没人会以为突然改谈论什么别的植物了。]

With the benefit of his technical prowess, I’d translate the text in question as follows:
The mixture is stirred for 5-15 min. at 200 ~ 300 rev / min. to facilitate extraction . Then the emulsion is water-bath heated to obtain demulsification and separation of oil layer from the aqueous layer containing total alkaloids.

For me, this looks better than his version. Any thoughts?

[Edited at 2013-04-01 09:36 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
One step forward, two steps back Apr 1, 2013

Alan Wang wrote:

Alright, you are right about he’s right this time, I give you that. But that does not mean you never give the impression that you two have been babysitting each other for like eternity and perhaps a little too much..

Alan,

I'd like to commend you for owning up to some of your mistakes. It shows some maturity for a change. That's exactly what I meant by improved professionalism, etc.. Yet there's a professional way to ask for the benefit of others' opinion that you are far from mastering yet.

If you are correct on issues as often as Yueyin is, perhaps I would support you on more occasions too. BTW, did Google Translate prompt you for the word "babysit" in this context, or is that a deliberate insult on your part?

Believe it or not, I would never say I agree with someone unless I truly meant it. From my observation, Yueyin is the same way in this respect too.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is post-editing exactly?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »