Local time: 19:38
Member (2021)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
@ Oct 21, 2021

Baran Keki wrote:

I remember one occasion where a dear colleague went overboard with sabotaging my test translation and actually gave the game away. They, inevitably, replaced every word with their synonyms when failing to find any translation mistakes and when they ran out of synonyms, they replaced lowercase letters with uppercase letters (like changing "Bank account" (source text) to "Bank Account" (target text)) they did that wherever they could in a 300 word text.
Long story short, I was able to demonstrate this to the Vendor Manager and 'pass' the test.
Not that it did me any good though... That Danish agency started cutting down on rates and introduced longer payment terms as soon as Covid started. Perhaps it's best to give such agencies a miss as others suggested.

Yeah, just to show they've done something.

Zolboo Batbold
Zolboo Batbold  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2021)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
@ Oct 21, 2021

mughwI wrote:

Zolboo Batbold wrote:

Why are the detailed results not shared with the translator?

No idea. Company policy, maybe?

I was once asked to downgrade a perfectly good translation because the end client thought that grading it as flawless would give the translator ideas about charging more.

I refused, but who knows what they did on their end.

It's people like them who ruin the translation industry.

Abba Storgen (X)
Abba Storgen (X)
United States
Local time: 12:38
Greek to English
+ ...
Part 2 - Challenger Oct 21, 2021

If you are the engineer at Morton Thiokol, and are trying to warn the Challenger launch team, and they are all from LSPs, don't warn them. Don't say a thing. If a reviewer says that "it's ok to launch", don't comment, don't react. If they ask you whether you agree, respond by sending a photocopy of the specifications, and a dry childish-corporate-style message with lots of "Please review" and "Kindly confirm receipt" and all other kindergarten nonsense. Make sure you use the word "Please" so man... See more
If you are the engineer at Morton Thiokol, and are trying to warn the Challenger launch team, and they are all from LSPs, don't warn them. Don't say a thing. If a reviewer says that "it's ok to launch", don't comment, don't react. If they ask you whether you agree, respond by sending a photocopy of the specifications, and a dry childish-corporate-style message with lots of "Please review" and "Kindly confirm receipt" and all other kindergarten nonsense. Make sure you use the word "Please" so many times that a good reader would throw up, and it's as dry and fake-friendly as possible, but without any usable information!
Do not forget that you don't want to disrupt the atmosphere of people who live inside an Enya video clip.
In the background of course, call your broker and short whatever stocks will be affected.
-- After the explosion, if they ask you anything, send them to another "team" or "department". If they ask you directly, respond with something like "I heard there was an unexpected malfunction, probably due to unanticipated factors, which I'm sure the related departments will review in detail. I will be happy to review said details myself when they become available at my desk" (don't forget to insert the word "happy" at least once, it makes them happy).
Do not tell them that you discovered that the reviewer was actually the janitor using a toy simulator on his computer to make an extra buck or two. The more dry you remain, and the least information you provide, the more they will consider you a "serious professional".
-- Another example was one of the supervising engineers at Alaska Airlines (this is public information, available even on YouTube documentaries). He specifically noted a part that needed replacement asap. They didn't. As long as the paper process was running smoothly, no reason to wake anybody up. Flight 261 crashed because of that part. He reported it to the FAA, and got fired from his job. He could have saved Alaska tons of money and reputation, but they chose to fire him instead and keep working with those who cause damages. Keep in mind that modern corporations are not "engineer-based" as they used to be in the past (Boeing), but "office-based", exchanging pleasant messages to pass the time without knowing their own product (737 max).
-- Because the same is happening in large LSPs. Have you ever heard of any LSP where the founding team were all translators from different languages, and the PMs were also all translators at some point, and really understand what's going on and how to spot the good from the bad? Ever heard of any LSP having a permanent native language reviewer from every language, as employee with no conflict of interest? No? Neither have I.
But since this modus operandi has not caused them any significant problems because very few clients review the product in detail, they won't change. And why should they? Who is going to read a camera manual anytime soon anyway? So: You are talking to secretaries, don't bother them with your concerns.
As far as that fake or clueless "reviewer", he's somewhere laughing at your expense, and tomorrow he has to review 5 different language pairs (he thanks God for GoogleTrans every day!).
Collapse

Zolboo Batbold
Italy
Member (2021)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
I agree Oct 21, 2021

mughwI wrote:

For my part, I always mention the good points, as well as the clear effort the translator has made given the extremely short deadline, and lack of guidance. AFAIK, the detailed results of my review are not shared with the translator.

Sadly, because of this quirk, great collaboration opportunities are lost along the way.

Exactly. Some people just don't see the potential in good a translator. They spot the most trivial, negligeble errors just to show they've done their part. Like someone else said, replacing nouns with their synonyms etc.

LIZ LI

Zolboo Batbold
Italy
Member (2021)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
@ Oct 21, 2021

Kevin Fulton wrote:

Zolboo Batbold wrote:

Agencies that require test translations often have dozens of tests to assess each year., each requiring both the assessment itself and reporting the result (thumbs up/down). The assessment is for the benefit of the agency, not the candidate. An agency is under no obligation to expend additional time/money on an unsuccessful applicant.

I've done a large number of evaluations over the years and I've often fought the temptation to contact the applicant: "The text has to be completely translated. Leaving sentences in the source language is never acceptable" or "You dimwit! Didn't you look at the accompanying image? The text is about an interior door, not a gate."

My advice is to move on, give no further thought to unsuccessful applications. There are lots of agencies, some with astute assessors.

So translation agencies are basically at the whim of reviewers. If the reviewer can't do their job properly, the good translator doesn't get the job, and the bad translator or the one that offers the lowest rate gets the job.

Zolboo Batbold
Italy
Member (2021)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Have a third-party linguist/translator/PM vouch for you Oct 21, 2021

Baran Keki wrote:

I'm sure there are independent, competent and impartial language assessors in major language pairs, especially where the target language is English, and I don't doubt Ice Scream's experience with those candidates as an expensive assessor.
However, the agencies do rely on their existing translators for such tests when the language pair is English to Mongolian, Slovakian, Turkish, Georgian etc. etc.
They don't usually get much work in those language pairs, and unfortunately some of those existing translators do not like competition either, if that makes sense.
I remember one occasion where a dear colleague went overboard with sabotaging my test translation and actually gave the game away. They, inevitably, replaced every word with their synonyms when failing to find any translation mistakes and when they ran out of synonyms, they replaced lowercase letters with uppercase letters (like changing "Bank account" (source text) to "Bank Account" (target text)) they did that wherever they could in a 300 word text.
Long story short, I was able to demonstrate this to the Vendor Manager and 'pass' the test.
Not that it did me any good though... That Danish agency started cutting down on rates and introduced longer payment terms as soon as Covid started. Perhaps it's best to give such agencies a miss as others suggested.

What if you could have a third-party linguist/translator/PM etc...vouch for you if you suspect that the reviewer may have dishonest intentions. You could ask them to give a third pair of eyes, do an unbiased, objective review. So you can expose the reviewer's misconduct, and make sure they never "cheat" again. For instance, I've found out that the reviewer's suggestion for a sentence was actually a sentence translated with Google Translate. It sounded unnatural so I had to check. I've put the source sentence into GT and the identitical sentence came out. This was counted as "major error" in the evaluation grid.

[Edited at 2021-10-21 07:20 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
The answer Oct 21, 2021

Eleftherios Kritikakis wrote:

-- Because the same is happening in large LSPs. Have you ever heard of any LSP where the founding team were all translators from different languages, and the PMs were also all translators at some point, and really understand what's going on and how to spot the good from the bad? Ever heard of any LSP having a permanent native language reviewer from every language, as employee with no conflict of interest? No? Neither have I.
But since this modus operandi has not caused them any significant problems because very few clients review the product in detail, they won't change. And why should they?

But are are still plenty of small agencies that do things properly. Why not put all that ranting energy into getting work from them?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Philip Lees
Kevin Fulton
Alison Jenner

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Sort of Oct 21, 2021

Except the part where the reviewer IS typically the current translator

For less popular language pairs, that can easily mean one of the 3 or so total people working that language pair for them (3 is pretty much a must if they do translation + review stages on everything, any less and work grinds to a halt if somebody doesn't respond, doesn't want a job, or can't do it)

Zolboo Batbold wrote:

Kevin Fulton wrote:

Zolboo Batbold wrote:

Agencies that require test translations often have dozens of tests to assess each year., each requiring both the assessment itself and reporting the result (thumbs up/down). The assessment is for the benefit of the agency, not the candidate. An agency is under no obligation to expend additional time/money on an unsuccessful applicant.

I've done a large number of evaluations over the years and I've often fought the temptation to contact the applicant: "The text has to be completely translated. Leaving sentences in the source language is never acceptable" or "You dimwit! Didn't you look at the accompanying image? The text is about an interior door, not a gate."

My advice is to move on, give no further thought to unsuccessful applications. There are lots of agencies, some with astute assessors.

So translation agencies are basically at the whim of reviewers. If the reviewer can't do their job properly, the good translator doesn't get the job, and the bad translator or the one that offers the lowest rate gets the job.

[Edited at 2021-10-21 09:00 GMT]

Abba Storgen (X)
Abba Storgen (X)
United States
Local time: 12:38
Greek to English
+ ...
What reduces the number of the good ones Oct 21, 2021

Ice Scream wrote:
But are are still plenty of small agencies that do things properly. Why not put all that ranting energy into getting work from them?

Yes. But did you notice that some of the best ones were sold to the huge ones within the last 10-15 years? From my very own very favorite portfolio, I can count 3 mid-size stellar agencies [which I would recommend back then as a very (very!) pleasant place to work at or with, sold to a big one and they became "average" or "terrible".
I was particularly disappointed when one of them in the Netherlands was sold and then quickly transformed, from a place that made translators feel like smiling top professionals to a place that gives you the impression of a phone scam center.
Small and mid-size agencies face tremendous pressures today, and my guess is that their goal has become to be sold to the "Walmart" ones at a good price. I can tell because I see their clients slowly moving to the large ones (and I end up translating for the same end-clients but through a larger agency at half the fees).
I don't blame them.

[Edited at 2021-10-21 16:26 GMT]

Adieu

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:38
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
You can request your test to be re-evaluated Oct 21, 2021

I once got an evaluator marking down and correcting 15 "errors" on my test of less than 300 words, but I found all of the corrections had been the results of the evaluator's misunderstanding of the concepts involved, and a lot of ridiculously wrong information would be conveyed to the readers if his version were to be published. Just as an example, "family caregiver," which means a familiar member who gives care, was changed by the evaluator to "family nurse."

I provided my feedbac
... See more
I once got an evaluator marking down and correcting 15 "errors" on my test of less than 300 words, but I found all of the corrections had been the results of the evaluator's misunderstanding of the concepts involved, and a lot of ridiculously wrong information would be conveyed to the readers if his version were to be published. Just as an example, "family caregiver," which means a familiar member who gives care, was changed by the evaluator to "family nurse."

I provided my feedback on each of his corrections and advised the vendor manager of the agency to have another evaluator re-evaluate my test. She did so, and it turned out my test was a pass without any error found in it.

[Edited at 2021-10-22 05:26 GMT]
Collapse

Zolboo Batbold

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 01:38
French to Chinese
+ ...
Agree with Baran Oct 22, 2021

Baran Keki wrote:

I'm sure there are independent, competent and impartial language assessors in major language pairs, especially where the target language is English, and I don't doubt Ice Scream's experience with those candidates as an expensive assessor.
However, the agencies do rely on their existing translators for such tests when the language pair is English to Mongolian, Slovakian, Turkish, Georgian etc. etc.
They don't usually get much work in those language pairs, and unfortunately some of those existing translators do not like competition either, if that makes sense.

It's somehow unrealistic to "increase" the agency's cost by asking them to hire a third-party, you'll have to convince them by yourself, if you still want to win this client.

I can bring up a full list of this kind of scenarios that happened to me...normally I'll just accept it no matter what, it's a waste of time and life to be mad at it...

The thing is, the PM you're talking with doesn't speak the language of the project, so he/she has to rely on previous experiences of other projects with happy clients. If such previous projects happened to be super simple and no client had ever complained about anything, the translator who did the job would be regarded as a qualified vendor. Thus, the first translator becomes the "expert" of this language pair for this agency. And following the principal of "first comes first serves", he/she gets to be your reviewer.

My interpretation about what happend to Zolboo is that, your PM trusted the evaluator more than you. So the key word here is no longer the quality of your translation, but your relation with this agency.

If I were you, I'll try to prove to this PM (do remember : he/she doesn't speak the language) WHY my translation is better than the review's version. You'll find out, sooner of later, if he/she asks for your availablity about other projects, then his/her trust on you is overpassing that on the reviewer. Otherwise, you can move on to other clients.

Luckily enough, I succeeded once, by quoting some of the phrasing of my translation V.S. the proofreader's version, and googled (baidu actually) them to see the number of matches we had respectively.

[Edited at 2021-10-22 04:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-10-22 07:23 GMT]

Zolboo Batbold

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:38
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Makes sense Oct 22, 2021

Zolboo Batbold wrote:

mughwI wrote:

Zolboo Batbold wrote:

No idea. Company policy, maybe?

I was once asked to downgrade a perfectly good translation because the end client thought that grading it as flawless would give the translator ideas about charging more.

I refused, but who knows what they did on their end.

It's people like them who ruin the translation industry.

But the translation industry will never be ruined.

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 20:38
English to Russian
+ ...
Market quirks? Oct 22, 2021

My experience as a reviewer of test translations (in quite a different market) has shown me talented translators are very far between and agencies need to grab hold of them if they want serious jobs done. What the HR people do to make them work for as little as possible is none of my business. My take on this is to give extra points to candidates for elusive things like my intuition telling me they have potential while the number of actual mistakes in their test trying to convince me otherwise. ... See more
My experience as a reviewer of test translations (in quite a different market) has shown me talented translators are very far between and agencies need to grab hold of them if they want serious jobs done. What the HR people do to make them work for as little as possible is none of my business. My take on this is to give extra points to candidates for elusive things like my intuition telling me they have potential while the number of actual mistakes in their test trying to convince me otherwise. And still, only about 5–10% get a passing grade – on a test I've edited myself to make it easier to understand and translate. And I do write extensive reviews highlighting all or most of the mistakes in each test, which, I believe, get sent to the candidates as feedback (never had anyone trying to challenge any part of my review). I could also be sending them the test translation I did when applying for the same position as the correct translation, but I know there's never the correct one, and yes, my test translation was quite different, so much so that when a candidate submitted a test where most of the terminological decisions were just like mine, I thought someone had let him in on the comments from one of my reviews (that person never got the job though, maybe they weren't willing to pay him the money he wanted). MT tools are making people lazy, so whenever I see signs of human intervention, signs of research done on top of what dictionaries can offer, signs of effort put into shuffling parts of sentenses or streamlining grammatical inconsistencies to make the text easier to read and understand – all that reads to me as a good sign even if the formal criteria for marking the test as passed have not been met. So there, maybe the problem is market-specific (low demand for professional translation services, e. g.), or the TS needs to keep searching for the right peopleCollapse

Christopher Schröder
Zolboo Batbold

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
+1 Oct 22, 2021

Denis Fesik wrote:

My experience as a reviewer of test translations (in quite a different market) has shown me talented translators are very far between and agencies need to grab hold of them if they want serious jobs done. What the HR people do to make them work for as little as possible is none of my business. My take on this is to give extra points to candidates for elusive things like my intuition telling me they have potential while the number of actual mistakes in their test trying to convince me otherwise. And still, only about 5–10% get a passing grade – on a test I've edited myself to make it easier to understand and translate. And I do write extensive reviews highlighting all or most of the mistakes in each test, which, I believe, get sent to the candidates as feedback (never had anyone trying to challenge any part of my review). I could also be sending them the test translation I did when applying for the same position as the correct translation, but I know there's never the correct one, and yes, my test translation was quite different, so much so that when a candidate submitted a test where most of the terminological decisions were just like mine, I thought someone had let him in on the comments from one of my reviews (that person never got the job though, maybe they weren't willing to pay him the money he wanted). MT tools are making people lazy, so whenever I see signs of human intervention, signs of research done on top of what dictionaries can offer, signs of effort put into shuffling parts of sentenses or streamlining grammatical inconsistencies to make the text easier to read and understand – all that reads to me as a good sign even if the formal criteria for marking the test as passed have not been met. So there, maybe the problem is market-specific (low demand for professional translation services, e. g.), or the TS needs to keep searching for the right people

I agree 100% with this. You can spot a (potentially) good translator from the first sentence, every time.

And every time it would fill me with joy, not fear. I have nothing to fear from some competition. There is plenty of work to go round.

Some of the cynicism and negativity around here is beginning to grate. I know I have been guilty of it myself in the past, but honestly, guys, do yourselves and us a favour and just chill out!!

Zolboo Batbold
Italy
Member (2021)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Right Oct 22, 2021

Denis Fesik wrote:

My experience as a reviewer of test translations (in quite a different market) has shown me talented translators are very far between and agencies need to grab hold of them if they want serious jobs done. What the HR people do to make them work for as little as possible is none of my business. My take on this is to give extra points to candidates for elusive things like my intuition telling me they have potential while the number of actual mistakes in their test trying to convince me otherwise. And still, only about 5–10% get a passing grade – on a test I've edited myself to make it easier to understand and translate. And I do write extensive reviews highlighting all or most of the mistakes in each test, which, I believe, get sent to the candidates as feedback (never had anyone trying to challenge any part of my review). I could also be sending them the test translation I did when applying for the same position as the correct translation, but I know there's never the correct one, and yes, my test translation was quite different, so much so that when a candidate submitted a test where most of the terminological decisions were just like mine, I thought someone had let him in on the comments from one of my reviews (that person never got the job though, maybe they weren't willing to pay him the money he wanted). MT tools are making people lazy, so whenever I see signs of human intervention, signs of research done on top of what dictionaries can offer, signs of effort put into shuffling parts of sentenses or streamlining grammatical inconsistencies to make the text easier to read and understand – all that reads to me as a good sign even if the formal criteria for marking the test as passed have not been met. So there, maybe the problem is market-specific (low demand for professional translation services, e. g.), or the TS needs to keep searching for the right people

I agree. Being able to see the potential in a translator is important. But of course there are reviewers who don't want any competition in their field and language pair. So they will put their two cents in places that are not needed just to show they've done their job. In my case, the reviewer gave the game away. He put the source sentence into GT and got a wrong translation, and then downgraded my good translation on the basis of the wrong translation. Like I wouldn't find it out! And this was the only sentence marked as major error.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Failing test translations because of incompetent evaluators

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »