Thread poster: Zolboo Batbold
Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:37
English to Turkish
just to make myself clear Oct 22, 2021

Ice Scream wrote:
I agree 100% with this. You can spot a (potentially) good translator from the first sentence, every time.

And every time it would fill me with joy, not fear. I have nothing to fear from some competition. There is plenty of work to go round.

Some of the cynicism and negativity around here is beginning to grate. I know I have been guilty of it myself in the past, but honestly, guys, do yourselves and us a favour and just chill out!!

and avoid coming across as a cynic, negative, fatalistic person who equates 'success with luck' and resorts to the 'argument of language pairs', I have nothing against independent reviewers and healthy competition. In fact, this is how it should be: agencies should hire independent reviewers, who have not previously worked with them as translators, to review test translations. I'd totally respect such a reviewer's decision and would love to learn from my mistakes so that I can be better prepared next time (I also know that I'm not the best translator there is in my areas of expertise). Alas, that never happens in my language pair. Because the agencies do not get much work in Turkish to justify the cost of hiring an external reviewer, so instead they ask one of their regular Turkish translators to review test translations, and this process is, unfortunately, not 100% reliable. Conflict of interest could get in the way and cloud one's judgment. Okay I admit, I'm being a bit cynical here, but with reason, after having run into one too many malicious agency translator turned test reviewers (and the majority of those agencies were small, what you would call 'boutique' types of translation agencies).
As for 'plenty of work to go round', I'll just have to agree to disagree with that one.

Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Failing test translations because of incompetent evaluators

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »