Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Funny & Useful Tricks in translations.
Thread poster: SarK0Y
SarK0Y
SarK0Y
Russian to English
Jan 19, 2009

Good Time to All, Dears!!!
i want to start so game: post here translations for different sentences with appliance useful or/& funny features of langs.
for e.g., Russian: 'Я знал этого человека - теперь нет(не знаю).'; English: 'I've known this human. '.

Tina Colquhoun
Tina Colquhoun  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:41
Danish to English
+ ...
??? Jan 20, 2009

SarK0Y wrote:

i want to start so game: post here translations for different sentences with appliance useful or/& funny features of langs.
for e.g., Russian: 'Я знал этого человека - теперь нет(не знаю).'; English: 'I've known this human. '.

Maybe you could explain this in more detail...

Ulf Norlinger
Ulf Norlinger  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:41
English to Swedish
+ ...
? Jan 20, 2009

I can't get the hang of it!

What is funny with:
"I've known this human."

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 01:41
Chinese to English
Goodness me!/Holy moly! Jan 20, 2009

SarK0Y wrote:

Hi SarKOY

Well, blow me down, whaddaya know...

I've known that elderly man (male) over there, and this young transgender person (human) for a while now.

I've had/known this fat old cat (feline) since last year, and my new car/wonderful new man/flatmate since last week/for a month.

It (He) should give me a good run. I'm over the moon. It's/He's second-hand/been round the block a few times. But then so have (am) I...

Me and my missus we work hard/hardly work at all,
not like/and don't like the fat-cats with their flash offices and cars.

Lesley

[Edited at 2009-01-20 03:46 GMT]

Kerati Kuaimongkol
Kerati Kuaimongkol  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:41
Member (2007)
English to Thai
Yeah, me too. Jan 20, 2009

Please explain more

Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Colombia
Local time: 08:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
???? :O Jan 20, 2009

No comments.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 07:41
English to Spanish
?? Jan 20, 2009

¿Qué lora echa este bato? I bet you can't translate this, SarK0Y. Not even with Google translator at your feet.

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 01:41
Chinese to English
Changing times, changing places... Jan 20, 2009

Now, if one were a medico or a farmer, perhaps then...and yet... You do [that is we do, or people do (one does)] from time to time, hear people referring to men and women as 'males' and 'females'... Men's events, female athletes? that's OK by me. But 'that male', 'this female'? ...

Actors (actorpeople), fishers (fisherpersons)? nice and PC (and androgynous). 'Ladies and Gentlemen' is, these days, not often heard, or indeed seen, even on public conveniences, or whatever you [that is
... See more
Now, if one were a medico or a farmer, perhaps then...and yet... You do [that is we do, or people do (one does)] from time to time, hear people referring to men and women as 'males' and 'females'... Men's events, female athletes? that's OK by me. But 'that male', 'this female'? ...

Actors (actorpeople), fishers (fisherpersons)? nice and PC (and androgynous). 'Ladies and Gentlemen' is, these days, not often heard, or indeed seen, even on public conveniences, or whatever you [that is, 'people',] call them.... "O brother man, fold to thy heart thy brother'(hymn), gone. 'What a piece of work is a man'(Shakespeare), changed.

'We must listen to the people, our people (whoever they are, whatever that means) in your honourable country, our/my/this country. Well, y'know, where-ever.'
'Whatever... Can we talk about something else. I'm not that fussed on politics, or religion.'
'Children should be seen and not heard. Shouldn't they(.?)' ['You may be excused./ You may leave the table.' ] In summer they may often be found outside, after they have done their chores and before dinner.

He usually/generally does his homework after tea; in his room or at the kitchen table. On rare occasions he has been known to do it on the floor, and even, sometimes, in the bath or under the shower. He's got a computer. It's a laptop. Its screen is liquid-crystal. At least I think it is - don't know for sure. I'll have to ask my mate/auntie or look it up somewhere or other. Or try Google ...

Where've y'been all this time?
Getting changed, getting the dinner, getting organised for tomorrow. Why?
Oh I just wondered.

[Edited at 2009-01-20 09:36 GMT]
Collapse

Penelope Ausejo
Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't understand Jan 20, 2009

Ulf Norlinger wrote:

I can't get the hang of it!

What is funny with:
"I've known this human."

I don't understand it either...

Olga Offermann
Olga Offermann
Germany
German to Russian
+ ...
Excuse me colleague Jan 20, 2009

I don't understand at all what do you mean with these tricks in translations...

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
What's the matter with you all? Jan 20, 2009

It's perfectly simple - it means that translation prices in certain combinations are set to fall like a stone.

SarK0Y
SarK0Y
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
about this trick. Jan 20, 2009

firstly, Dears, i'm not translator; i learn another langs only my pleasure, but haven't enough time for it:(
now, about current sentence: Russian has four tenses, and it is one of moments which needs more long sentences. this may be translated ('Я знал этого человека - теперь нет(не знаю).') so: 'I did know this person in past. I don't know his, now '. i use, in current case, 'present perfect' to take less length.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I see ... Jan 20, 2009

Glad that's sorted out, then. And don't give up the day job. Er, darling.

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
Russian has 6 cases! Jan 20, 2009

SarK0Y wrote:
Russian has four tenses, and it is one of moments which needs more long sentences.

No offense, but if you don't know that Russian has 6 cases and 3 tenses, you may want to consider other jobs.

Olaf

SarK0Y
SarK0Y
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Olaf, Jan 20, 2009

3 tenses in Russian is an official opinion, four tense is analog, hmmm..., should/could in English. four tense in Russian has Cinderella place:)) for e.g., proverb: 'Если бы, да кабы - во рту выросли грибы'. hmmm.... my translation to it is very bad, but i can't take better, now: 'if it could be so & so - mushrooms've grown up in mouth. '
---------------------------------------------------------
2 All
btw, for advantage of own examples, let's to u
... See more
3 tenses in Russian is an official opinion, four tense is analog, hmmm..., should/could in English. four tense in Russian has Cinderella place:)) for e.g., proverb: 'Если бы, да кабы - во рту выросли грибы'. hmmm.... my translation to it is very bad, but i can't take better, now: 'if it could be so & so - mushrooms've grown up in mouth. '
---------------------------------------------------------
2 All
btw, for advantage of own examples, let's to use next format:
1. original sentence.
2. nearest translation.
3. trick.

[Edited at 2009-01-21 02:37 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Funny & Useful Tricks in translations.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »