Off topic: The "Manslater"
Thread poster: Lingua 5B
Valerie35 (X)
Valerie35 (X)
Local time: 17:23
German to English
What is really sexist Dec 26, 2010

Simone Linke wrote:

Women are bitchy people whose task it is to sit home, do laundry (check the very first frame!), make life hard for those glorious men and who are pissed off whenever a man just wants to have some fun.

Those poor, poor men have such a hard life with their girls/women that we even need to invent tools to make life easier for them.

Oh it must be hard to be a man. I feel with you guys out there.. really, I do. Just ask your manslator!

Frankly, I get a real feeling of sexist hatred from this comment, and not from what was originally shown.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What is insulting Dec 27, 2010

Lingua 5B wrote:
I have no idea what's "insulting" in this content? Show me a part where it depicted women in a degrading or negative way?

The insult is that a person's behaviour is be stereotyped based on a factor that has little or nothing to do with the behaviour itself. It doesn't have to be degrading or insulting to be stereotypical.

I myself have no problem with sexist humour, by the way (nor with racist humour -- all humour eventually offends somebody). Its just interesting to me (as it should be to translators) that some types of bigotry are more acceptable than others. If I were to make a racist joke here (which is as insulting as a sexist joke), I'm sure the post would earn me a reprimand within seconds.

For example, making a joke about a woman having her periods is not stereotypical per se because all women have periods (well most of them, anyway). One might find such a joke to be in poor taste, but it aint stereotypical. However, making a joke about a women having mood swings and acting irrationally because of her periods is definitely degrading -- particularly to women who don't have such mood swings or who behave no more irrational than their menfolk do. Don't you agree?

Simone Linke
Simone Linke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Nope Dec 27, 2010

ValBerlin wrote:

Frankly, I get a real feeling of sexist hatred from this comment, and not from what was originally shown.

No hatred. Just the annoyance caused by the fact that one of the currently most successful "comedians" in Germany (Mario Barth) seems omnipresent and has only one type of joke: the joke about his stupid, annoying girlfriend.

And now the same stuff even finds it way onto the Proz forums... geee! It's getting old and it's not even funny.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Selective interpretation Dec 27, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:
I myself have no problem with sexist humour, by the way (nor with racist humour -- all humour eventually offends somebody). Its just interesting to me (as it should be to translators) that some types of bigotry are more acceptable than others. If I were to make a racist joke here (which is as insulting as a sexist joke), I'm sure the post would earn me a reprimand within seconds.

For example, making a joke about a woman having her periods is not stereotypical per se because all women have periods (well most of them, anyway). One might find such a joke to be in poor taste, but it aint stereotypical. However, making a joke about a women having mood swings and acting irrationally because of her periods is definitely degrading -- particularly to women who don't have such mood swings or who behave no more irrational than their menfolk do. Don't you agree?

You must have felt wronged by ProZ ( somehow and somewhere) in this regard, because you keep repeating how they tolerate one type of bigotry while not another. Has it ever occurred to you that ProZ tolerates the "bigotry" on this thread because there isn't any really ( no enough objective elements for this content to be labeled as bigotry?)

If you wanna talk stereotypes, OK. In the second scene, we have a stereotype where ALL men forget anniversaries? Now men who never do will feel offended and will come to this thread whining about sexist implications. Right? See, this is called selective interpretation.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not in my view. Dec 27, 2010

Simone Linke wrote:

Women are bitchy people whose task it is to sit home, do laundry (check the very first frame!), make life hard for those glorious men and who are pissed off whenever a man just wants to have some fun.

Those poor, poor men have such a hard life with their girls/women that we even need to invent tools to make life easier for them.

And if you claim that it works both ways, watch it again. Even the other way round it's aimed at the bad, bad women again who simply don't get it that a man really is fine when he says so.

Oh it must be hard to be a man. I feel with you guys out there.. really, I do. Just ask your manslator!

I didn't see any of these things in the same light.

First scene, she's depicted doing laundry so that the viewers can empathize with her as to why she's so mad; housework is no fun especially because it's an endless wheel that keeps spinning forever. The following day might have been his turn to do laundry and her turn to go to her bridge club, we will never know that. For this particular device to be demonstrated and point to be made, we needed this scene.

Second, who says it's women who invented the tool? The inventor is not mentioned, however the presenter is a man.

Actually how did the device make the first man's life easier? It's the device that made him give up what he apparently likes doing ( golfing) and stay with his wife at home instead ( which he seemingly found boring but did it to please her?). Therefore, I'm afraid that what you said on that account is contradictory.

In my view, the worst scene is the guy who says " you are wonderful and you meet all MY needs".. and then he wants to go further meeting his other needs by doing things with his mates. Nowhere does he mention HER needs. However, selfishness is not sexism, it's a personality trait. Labeling it as sexism would be a dangerous generalization.

[Edited at 2010-12-27 11:51 GMT]

Simone Linke
Simone Linke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Yes and no Dec 27, 2010

Lingua 5B wrote:

I didn't see any of these things in the same light.
[/quote]

Just to make it clear again: I don't feel offended by these depictions. They're not aimed at me and they're too stupid to offend me. Similarly, I don't think any man would feel offended by the anniversary thing. Just annoyed.

However, they simply are full of cliches and cater to common sexist interpretations. The woman has to do the laundry (says who?!) and the man must stay home for her to be happy and calm down. That's such crap. You know what? If my husband wanted to go golfing, we'd make a deal. I'll join him and have some fun on the green, too, and at night, we'll do the laundry together.

And by the way, not ALL women find it exciting to watch The Notebook.
So many cliches. *yawn*

I do understand though why some might find it funny. I guess it also depends on where you live and what kind of humor you're exposed to (or have been exposed to before). There's always the first time when it's still funny. But when you see it the gazzillionth time, it's just annoying.

Maybe to get away from the manslator thingy for the sake of this discussion:
there's a rather new commercial on TV here. It's for a family car that a man wants to buy and he has to convince his girlfriend. So, he's trying to come up with arguments that may convince her. Stuff like "honey, you can have the wedding you always wanted" (because the car is big enough to hold her huge bride's dress), "honey, we can have many kids" etc. Then he comes up with "honey, you can buy aaalll the shoes you want " (because the car is big enough for all those shopping bags) and before he comes up with the next argument, the woman interrupts him saying "honey, stop it; you've already had me with the shoes". And they live happily ever after.

So, the only way to define men and women is via toilet seats and shoes? Seriously?!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lingua Dec 27, 2010

Lingua 5B wrote:
You must have felt wronged by ProZ (somehow and somewhere) in this regard, because you keep repeating how they tolerate one type of bigotry while not another.

My comments about how different types of stereotypes are or aren't acceptable were meant in the universal sense, and not ProZ.com specific. The tolerance for sexism versus the intolerability of racism is not a ProZ.com phenomenon -- it occurs world-wide (though possibly to different degrees in different cultures).

And the fact that I recognise stereotype when I see it does not mean that I must have been the victim of it.

In the second scene, we have a stereotype where ALL men forget anniversaries? Now men who never do will feel offended and will come to this thread whining about sexist implications. Right?

I haven't seen the video (owing to my slow internet speed here at my holiday home), so my initial post was in response to the subject of stereotype and not to the specific stereotypes in the video.

With regard to forgetting dates:

1. My wife and I got married on an easy-to-remember date (03-02-01) so that neither she nor I would easily forget it. Yet every year we only remember the event because our parents phone us in the evening to wish us a happy anniversary.

2. When my 6 year old daughter had to undergo surgery, the anaethetist in the operating ward asked me (by way of double-checking) what my daughter's name and date of birth was. I was able to tell him the name but I could not remember my daughter's date of birth. When asked why I couldn't remember it, I replied "I am a man", to which the entire ward staff burst out in laughter (men and women both).

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:23
French to English
Speaking as a vile sexist pig... Dec 27, 2010

... I'm finding this thread much funnier than the video that sparked it off.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes.. Dec 27, 2010

Simone Linke wrote:
However, they simply are full of cliches and cater to common sexist interpretations. The woman has to do the laundry (says who?!) and the man must stay home for her to be happy and calm down. That's such crap. You know what? If my husband wanted to go golfing, we'd make a deal. I'll join him and have some fun on the green, too, and at night, we'll do the laundry together.

Yes, it's pretty much an individual thing for each couple to arrange their daily activities in the best way that suits them ( their personalities, views, lifestyle, budget etc). If it's individual and specific for each couple, then it can't be cliché or stereotype, so here we are facing a contradiction again.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:D Dec 27, 2010

Charlie Bavington wrote:

You are a threadist!

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Comments Dec 28, 2010

When I was an English teacher for Spaniards our conversation classes inevitably ended up on the subject of male-female relationships and differences. I found their attitudes toward the opposite sex to be positive, of good cheer and humorous. They seemed to have a good understanding, and acceptance, of each other.

This particular video seems to be made within an American context. I found it to be humorous because I see at least some underlying truth to it. On the other hand I can det
... See more
When I was an English teacher for Spaniards our conversation classes inevitably ended up on the subject of male-female relationships and differences. I found their attitudes toward the opposite sex to be positive, of good cheer and humorous. They seemed to have a good understanding, and acceptance, of each other.

This particular video seems to be made within an American context. I found it to be humorous because I see at least some underlying truth to it. On the other hand I can detect a tinge of unhealthy negativity towards women. I am reminded of the attitude of locker room idiots when I was in high school.

This video could have been made much better by being more subtle. The voice artist for the machine's dubbing could have been cast better. Finally, an appreciation and positive recognition of how women are different than men could have been given more prominence.
Collapse

Jon O (X)
Jon O (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Me too Dec 28, 2010

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Same here.
Certain posters in this thread often provide me with much unintentional amusement with their musings on this site.

Dr. Jason Faulkner
Dr. Jason Faulkner  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:23
Spanish to English
Wow. Talk about a wet blanket. Dec 28, 2010

I thought linguists, of all people, would have been the first ones to see the humor in this. The observation that verbal communication differs between men and women is not merely a stereotype. There are many physiological and cultural differences that influence the development and use of language across genders, and these differences do often result in misunderstandings between men and women.

Since this has turned into such a heady debate, I shall refrain from piling onto the joke
... See more
I thought linguists, of all people, would have been the first ones to see the humor in this. The observation that verbal communication differs between men and women is not merely a stereotype. There are many physiological and cultural differences that influence the development and use of language across genders, and these differences do often result in misunderstandings between men and women.

Since this has turned into such a heady debate, I shall refrain from piling onto the joke and instead refer my esteemed colleagues to the works of Deborah Tannen; specifically, her treatise on "rapport talk" versus "report talk."

It is said that if one has to explain a joke, it is no longer funny. Sadly, I think we've all gotten too full of ourselves to remember how to laugh.

SaludoZ!
Collapse

Valerie35 (X)
Valerie35 (X)
German to English
Get more precise Dec 28, 2010

Jon O wrote:

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Same here.
Certain posters in this thread often provide me with much unintentional amusement with their musings on this site.

I've got some college degrees and some street smarts, I'll give you the details if you want, but I don't see this massive, hidden source of amusement. People are talking, and you are welcome to chime in if you see something amiss.

I understand the fun in winking to someone else who supposedly shares your level of intellect, but if it's the case, please let all the peons in on the knee-slapping misdeed.

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:23
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yawn Dec 30, 2010

The sketches show silly situations which do happen to some people sometimes.

Simone Linke wrote:
You know what? If my husband wanted to go golfing, we'd make a deal. I'll join him and have some fun on the green, too, and at night, we'll do the laundry together.

You know what? If my husband wanted to go golfing, good luck to him. I have plenty of hobbies of my own.
He can do his own laundry (he does!) and I'll do mine.
I made him stop to help me with the cooking, because he wanted to do it differently (and it slowed me down), so sometimes he cooks, sometimes me.
The point is, we discuss, if it is worth doing something together, or not, and we are not afraid to let the other do something without trying to join in or stop it.

[Edited at 2010-12-30 16:55 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The "Manslater"

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »