Off topic: The "Manslater"
Thread poster: Lingua 5B
Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:46
French to English
I'd love to help, and yet.... Dec 30, 2010

ValBerlin wrote:

I've got some college degrees and some street smarts, I'll give you the details if you want, but I don't see this massive, hidden source of amusement.

Well done for so artfully managing to convey the way you have both the academic and the populist angles covered. Degrees in the plural? My. Spare me that particular list, but I'm curious as to how one would detail one's "street smarts", so I'm all ears. Or eyes, or whatever body part is relevant in a forum, I wouldn't know, not being a street-wise intellectual.

Generally of course, having to explain why something is funny instant eliminates the humour, but I'll share two things, both making me quite genuinely smile as I recollect them to type this.

First, having stirred up a rare old hornets nest, the utterly deadpan way Samuel waits until the 2nd page to tell us he hasn't even seen the flipping video. Masterful wummery.

Second (and Juvera has quoted it, saving me the effort of experimenting, since I can see the effect is lost in doing so), Simone's end-of-line unintentional cliffhanger. There is idle chat of golf and fun on the course, then they come home from the golf, "and at night...." what, Simone, what happens at night? My eyes eagerly leap to the next line..... oh. Laundry. Bah. Feminists - no fun at all
Happy new wossname to one and all.

(Edit: I've just realised that Simone's post works best with my particular window size. Full screen, the effect is lost. And yes, it is childish and pathetic. So am I. I'll share this with you. You have a room full of people of various nationalities. You need to find the Englishman, and you can say just one word out loud to do so. What word do you say?

Bottom

The Englishman is guaranteed to laugh. No-one else.
So I'm told, anyway. Someone should test it at the UN or something.)

[Edited at 2010-12-30 18:16 GMT]

Simone Linke
Simone Linke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:46
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Old-fashioned? Dec 30, 2010

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Which part of "have some fun on the green" did you not get?
Old-fashioned people only have sex at home at night... but there are lots of different balls on the golf green...

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Should I take up the game? Dec 30, 2010

Simone Linke wrote:

Which part of "have some fun on the green" did you not get?

My experience of golf is limited, as you might guess from my profile/website, to the stories of Pelham Granville Wodehouse. If I understand you correctly, I rather fear that his fine, upstanding Oldest Member (sic) would be turning in his grave at the very idea....

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:46
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Bottom? Dec 30, 2010

Because only the English know their Shakespeare comedies?

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes lol Dec 30, 2010

Charlie Bavington wrote:

the utterly deadpan way Samuel waits until the 2nd page to tell us he hasn't even seen the flipping video.

This is indeed hysterically funny and extremely unbelievable.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Happy Dec 30, 2010

Lingua 5B wrote:
Charlie Bavington wrote:
...the utterly deadpan way Samuel waits until the 2nd page to tell us he hasn't even seen the flipping video.

This is indeed hysterically funny and extremely unbelievable.

I'm happy to have brightened up your final moments of 2010

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Cultural differences? Dec 31, 2010

Charlie Bavington wrote:

The Englishman is guaranteed to laugh. No-one else.
So I'm told, anyway. Someone should test it at the UN or something.)

I found it mildly funny... but then I've been married 20 years... It also quite strange that all "Englishmen" or people living in Great Britain don't quite mind it... but I don't have an answer for that... for the moment... lol...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The "Manslater"

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »