wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:01
Chinese to English
+ ...
Understanding Conflict and War - Book by Rudolph Rummel Jan 26, 2014

http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/WPP.CHAP3.HTM

THE INTERNATIONAL ACTORS

Returning now to my initial questions about who are the actors in the international field, the answer is that there are four kinds: three types of authorities--the elite of states, domestic groups, and international organizations--and individuals acting in their private interests. Each actor is, of course, a person. But when the elite of the state, international organization, or social group are acting in their authoritative roles, they represent the group's policies and reflect its characteristics. It is the complex of the international relations between these actors and their group or personal attributes which define the international field. In other words, the international field is delineated by the behavior and attributes of the different actors.

刚刚看到这本书 (Part I, Chapter 3 of Vol. 4) 的一段。看了前后文,我感觉 “行为体”、“行为主体” 的译法也是很有道理的。

I admit I spoke too soon.

http://hawaii.edu/powerkills/UCW.HTM

Fargoer
Fargoer
Canada
Local time: 17:01
English to Chinese
别太在意 Jan 26, 2014

wherestip wrote:

脱口而出常有奇思妙想;深思熟虑也可能钻入牛角。论坛上能畅所欲言最好。个人的对与错,其实真的不重要。:)

clearwater
clearwater
China
Local time: 07:01
English to Chinese
个、位、名的用法  Jan 26, 2014

Zhoudan wrote:

我感觉“名”和“位”有时可以互相取代,有时不能。
“一名叔叔”,读着感觉不舒服,要说“一位叔叔”才顺口。
经常看到香港译者写“一间公司”,我就觉得别扭,必改成"一家公司" 才顺口。但“一间餐厅”、“一间酒吧”又觉得可以。

Chun-yi Chen wrote:

一個是單位詞,一個就是"一個有名的"縮寫?

一名在繁體中文確實挺常見的(而且不少人覺得它比一位這種說法更正式),基本上就是稱人的單位詞;你們那邊可能就難說,

[/quote] [/quote]

从网上查得:
http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_873339840101irbn.html
http://www.docin.com/p-436555513.html

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
It's probably political science terminology Jan 26, 2014

Fargoer wrote:

wherestip wrote:

脱口而出常有奇思妙想;深思熟虑也可能钻入牛角。论坛上能畅所欲言最好。个人的对与错,其实真的不重要。:)

Thanks, Fargoer.

IMO, a little self-doubt is always healthy. There's nothing to be embarrassed about making a mistake here and there. To me, what's embarrassing is not being able to own up to one.

Personally, I wouldn't trust a general bilingual dictionary as far as I could throw it. But I usually do trust monolingual resources, provided they're deemed relatively reputable.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Fact or Fiction? Jan 27, 2014

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/epaper/2013-12/13/content_17173144.htm

Professors note sharp decline in language

Updated: 2013-12-13 06:58

By Jin Zhu (China Daily USA)

Universities uncertain whether to keep Chinese as required course

More Chinese language courses are needed at universities to improve students' speech and writing, according to some experts in the field, but attracting students is a problem.

The issue arose in October with the announcement by Renmin University of China that it will make Chinese language study optional, starting next semester. The course has been required of undergraduates since 2008.

A decline in language ability in recent years is obvious, even among Chinese language majors, said Wei Chongxin, dean of Beijing Foreign Studies University's School of Chinese Language and Literature.

"The loss of ability in the mother tongue is mainly caused by the extensive use of electronic devices and a lack of attention to culture," he said.

"Courses to enhance proficiency and raise literary quality among university students - helping them recognize the dignity of their native language - should be a major goal in Chinese higher education."

The change at Renmin has drawn public attention, with some people worried that it will tend to marginalize the Chinese language on its home turf.

But the change "does not mean canceling the course", the university said in a statement on Nov 5. "It will still be open to those students with interest."

The course at Renmin covered rhetoric, grammar, poetry and ancient Chinese language.

Students in China have long been regarded as making little effort to improve their native language skills while spending too much time studying English in hopes of gaining opportunities to study abroad.

One response was a plan presented in Beijing in October that would revamp the gaokao, China's college entrance examination. The revised standard would raise total points required in the Chinese language section from 150 to 180, while lowering the requirement for English from 150 to 100. The targets would be met by 2016.

But college undergraduates may not attend Chinese class even if they've signed up for one, China Central Television reported. It cited one class in which 30 percent of enrolled students were absent.

A Renmin survey found that only about 30 percent of students who had taken a Chinese course said they had learned a great deal from it, while others said it had not been of much benefit, Hong Dayong, who is in charge of academic affairs at the university, told CCTV.

"So we believed it would be too rigid to require all students to attend the course," Hong said. "More Chinese-related courses will open in the future, and the university will provide various options to students to satisfy their diversified demands."

For instance, he said, a series of writing and reading lectures hosted by famous writers will be offered to students starting next semester.

Renmin is not the only school that has wrestled with the question. Peking University and Tsinghua University have also listed their Chinese courses as optional for domestic students, except for those majoring in Chinese, CCTV reported.

"I believe the change in the course will benefit more students, and we will have more opportunities to choose courses that we're really interested in," an unnamed female student at Renmin told CCTV .

An earlier survey by the university showed that of 74 letters of self-recommendation written by students, nearly 70 percent had major mistakes, including inappropriate tone and grammar.

[Edited at 2014-01-27 12:49 GMT]

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
其它 Feb 9, 2014

前天买了北京师范大学出版社出版的《汪曾祺全集》kindle版,第8册是“其它”。

http://www.amazon.cn/gp/product/images/B00935Z7ME/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=116087071&s=digital-text

Alan Wang
Alan Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
slippery slop Feb 10, 2014

受‘其他’取代‘其它’的影响,‘他们’也可能取代‘它们’。

我手上正在校对的文件中,发现在指代‘国家’的时候,译者也用了‘他们’。我在犹豫要不要去改。

[Edited at 2014-02-10 01:46 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

汉语中特有的anomaly

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »